LA LA - Ellis Baudean, 4, in water near Twin Canals Trail, Jean Laffite Nat Hist Park, 15 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't say that I've ever seen a kite flown in any swamp I've ever been in, but who knows. Many trees (with long spanish moss hanging from them, unstable land areas that can become water quickly, and not to mention the massive spider webs.)

The gator comment, possible... sadly.

Hope they can locate little Ellis soon. :(

There's a decent bit of open area near the boat launch at the head of the twin canals just of Barataria Blvd. Also - I'm not sure if there are any levees or fishing piers in the area - but I've seen folks fly kites on those types of things many times in swampy/lowland/forested areas.

FWIW - I grew up on the Northshore very near to the southern edge of the Honey Island Swamp. I used to fly a kite while standing in the middle of the turnaround at the end of the street I lived on... Wasn't easy to get it started - but the type of trees that grow in/adjacent to swampy locales aren't generally of the "towering" variety... so once the kite cleared the treetops - It was pretty easy to let it climb as far as your spool would allow.

ETA:
Plenty of space on those trails to fly a kite...
April-6-426.jpeg

Last edited:
There's a decent bit of open area near the boat launch at the head of the twin canals just of Barataria Blvd. Also - I'm not sure if there are any levees or fishing piers in the area - but I've seen folks fly kites on those types of things many times in swampy/lowland/forested areas.

FWIW - I grew up on the Northshore very near to the southern edge of the Honey Island Swamp. I used to fly a kite while standing in the middle of the turnaround at the end of the street I lived on... Wasn't easy to get it started - but the type of trees that grow in/adjacent to swampy locales aren't generally of the "towering" variety... so once the kite cleared the treetops - It was pretty easy to let it climb as far as your spool would allow.

ETA:
April-6-426.jpeg
Thanks so much for the info and picture.

ETA:
April-6-426.jpeg
Wow! Thanks, @yurintroubl, for the pic of the area. Definitely enuff area in which to fly a kite. The old line still holds: A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks, @yurintroubl, for the pic of the area. Definitely enuff area in which to fly a kite. The old line still holds: A picture is worth a thousand words. :)
Was in Nola for a long weekend. Hadn’t heard about the poor child until yesterday. Quite literally was on a swamp tour in and around that park and the tour guide told us. And yes we saw lots of gators.

<modnsip: Not victim friendly>

Search becomes recovery mission for 4-year-old missing in Jean Lafitte National Park
16 Jul 2021

SBM

"The mother was walking back to her car and heard something. She didn't know if it was a splash," Lopinto said.

When the woman turned around, Ellis was gone and the 3-year-old was pointing toward the water. The woman jumped in but wasn't able to find her son, authorities said.
Walking back to her car or flying a kite? Something stinks here.

Just saw this:

Search crews to block off, drain portion of waterway in search for missing 4-year-old
Posted at 4:29 PM, Jul 19, 2021

and last updated 5:36 PM, Jul 19, 2021
The search is continuing in Jean Lafitte National Park for 4-year-old Ellis Boudean, who has been missing since Thursday.

A Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesperson confirmed to WWL Monday that the National Park Service has given approval to dam part of the waterway where crews have been concentrating the search to drain it down in the efforts to locate Boudean.
[...]
The dam is expected to be in place by midnight on Monday. According to The New Orleans Advocate, crews plan to build a dam about 500 feet from the bridge where the child is believed to have gone into the water and then drain the area.
Authorities are no longer calling it a rescue mission, but rather a recovery mission.
------------------------------

More here:
https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...way-drain-it-in-search-for-missing-4-year-old

Here's a Google Maps view of Jean Laffite Nat. Park. If you click on the pic of the gator, you'll see probably hundreds of pics that show the area's landscape, environment, and wildlife. I'm still looking for an area that would be suitable for flying a kite...in July...in Louisiana's hot, humid, still air. IJS

My thoughts exactly. Some have posted pics of the parking lot boat landing and one open bridge spanning some swamp land.

#1. The swamp is an odd place to go fly a kite.
#2. There are trees surrounding the parking lot and it is July so they all have leaves. This makes airflow in such a small area very restricted.
#3. The open bridge trail, or any other *open* trail is nowhere near the parking lot. If she left her kids that far away to go back to the car...
#4. Yes, the family is the victim here <modsnip>
#5. Finally, raising an autistic child is exhausting.

Things to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office
19 Jul 2021
As our recovery efforts continue in Jean Lafitte National Park and Preserve, we are now in the process of constructing a dam across the waterway to allow an area to be pumped clear. Sheriff Lopinto wishes to express his appreciation to B&S Equipment for providing the equipment and crew as we attempt to complete our mission of locating Ellis. Because of the current use of heavy equipment, the parking lot of Twin Canals is currently closed and we are asking members of the public to avoid the area.

19 Jul 2021
The first load of clay is on site and dam construction is about to begin.

19 Jul 2021
Construction of the dam is underway and we are hoping to have it completed and start draining the area sometime tomorrow. Thank you again to B&S Equipment and their crews for working through the day. We are asking that the public continue to avoid the area to allow the equipment and clay trucks to have easier access. The Twin Canals parking lot remains closed due to the operation.

20 Jul 2021
220643136_4013727542057853_656538917978749308_n.jpg

Unfortunately, our efforts to pump out the area of interest in the canal were not completely successful. We lost the clay dam earlier tonight, and the original water levels returned quickly. Our recovery efforts will now resume their passive status for the next few days.

Our efforts were not in vain. We were able to drain about half the water from the search area which allowed us to check the root systems on the banks, alligator dens along the waterline, subsurface dens, culverts, and overhanging banks that were previously underwater. We were able able to narrow the search area for the remote operating vehicle and its sonar equipment.
While we were ultimately unable to complete our recovery mission, we will continue to be in the area for the next few days to ensure the site is returned to the pristine condition it was in. We cannot thank the numerous volunteers, B&S Equipment, the National Park Service, the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office, and the LDWF for their assistance.

Canal to be drained as search for missing boy in Lafitte enters day five
19 Jul 2021
SBM

Sheriff Joseph Lopinto said that parish and state officials are collaborating on the effort and plan to drain the 75-foot canal in the park where it is believed the boy entered the water.

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...way-drain-it-in-search-for-missing-4-year-old
19 Jul 2021
SBM
  • ...the National Park Service has given approval to dam part of the waterway...
  • The dam is expected to be in place by midnight on Monday.
  • ...crews plan to build a dam about 500 feet from the bridge where the child is believed to have gone into the water and then drain the area.

Dam breaks hours after construction, ending attempt to drain canal to find missing 4-year-old
JUL 20, 2021

The temporary dam being built in a Jean Lafitte National Park canal to help find a missing 4-year-old has collapsed. [snip] Officials hoped that if they got all the water out, they could more easily search the bottom of the canal, where an infestation of duckweed — a tough aquatic plant — and debris have made the underwater search slow and difficult. Unfortunately, water put too much pressure on the dam and it fell apart.

Dam breaks, ending JPSO's attempt to drain canal where missing boy may be | wwltv.com
July 20, 2021

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office got approval from the National Park Service to dam off part of the waterway where they have been concentrating the search. A private contractor donated their time and equipment for the work. The clean up process has already begun. Lopinto said crews will be removing the clay through tomorrow morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back