Found Deceased LA - Jassiah Clark, 4, Baton Rouge, 20 December 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the above link..."Detectives also said a neighbor told them it wasn't unusual for Jassiah Clark to show up by himself at their home and stay there for days at a time."

I can't imagine my 4 yr old just walking out of the house and showing up at the neighbor's and stay there for days...that's absolutely CRAZY!! If I was her neighbor, I would have reported her. I really hope they throw the book at her. There's no excuse for this kind of behavior. I hope the authorities take the other child out of that home. It's apparent the adults in that household have other more important things to do besides watching over their children. I think I read in one of the news articles that the mother is also pregnant...great, just great. :gaah:

RIP sweetie pie

I had a neighbor like this. She moved into the neighborhood with a 3-4 year old and an infant. The older child was my son's age and he quickly learned to come to me for everything. He would come to spend the night and still be there weeks later. His mother would NOT call to check on him for fear I might send him back home. She would just get up and go out of town for the weekend, not even bothering to tell me. So he basically lived with us a lot. My son had a bunk bed and the boy just wore my sons clothes.

I remember how she let him wander the streets when he was 3-4 and be out way past dark and not bothering to look to see where he was. I remember asking her " would you leave your diamond ring out in the street like that?" and she replied " No, of course not!! Somebody might take it! My diamond ring is valuable to me!!".

Well there you have it. The ring had value to her and her child did not. She even told him that if she hadn't had him, she could have been a stripper!! Such goals she had in life there! Some people just shouldn't be parents.

I have followed Jassiah's case because it is a few towns away from me and has been on the local news. Not only is his death tragic, his LIFE was tragic. How sad that this child was ignored, neglected and adults regularly did drugs or drank around him and even fought to the point that he witnessed two murders. So freaking sad!!

That little boy was very lucky to have you in his life, what an angel you are SwampMama!! Do you have any idea where he is now?

I understand them charging the mother for negligence to some degree, but that old well should have been filled up with cement and topped off. They choose to use sand because it is a lot cheaper. Even if they wanted to use sand in order to save on cost, they still could have poured a 3 or 4 inch thick topping slab to serve as a cap and also to prevent rain washout.

I think it is safe to say there will be a wrongful death suit filed over this one.....with the city and their contractor being the defendants.

Louisiana is notorious for big holes all over the place. All of our ground just sinks. I'm not excusing what they have done, I am just saying it is not surprising to me, one bit. Here are a couplePothole3.jpg of our New Orleans potholes.Pothole18Ap06.jpg

Here is a link to a "Pimp My Pothole" photo contest they had. http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/pimp-my-pothole/Slideshow?oid=2437016#1

It is a shame that it makes me giggle, but it does.

I understand them charging the mother for negligence to some degree, but that old well should have been filled up with cement and topped off. They choose to use sand because it is a lot cheaper. Even if they wanted to use sand in order to save on cost, they still could have poured a 3 or 4 inch thick topping slab to serve as a cap and also to prevent rain washout.

I think it is safe to say there will be a wrongful death suit filed over this one.....with the city and their contractor being the defendants.

While I certainly agree with you, Lousiana is a very poor state, with a history of mismanaged funds. Not excusing it, but it is our reality. A lot of the times, rather than fix a bad road, they put up signs that say "Substandard Roadway". I live right outside of BR and there was a bridge over the Amite River, that randomly had chunks of the concrete fall while people were driving across. Seriously. They would come patch that area and wait for the next chunk to fall out. They finally demolished the bridge and built 2 news ones.

Baton Rouge is even worse than my city and unfortunately, some areas are ignored more than others.

With all that said though, she should have been aware of the risk close to her and where her child was at all times. I do believe cutting corners is wrong, but the ultimate responsibilty falls on the mother/whomever was supposed to be watching him. I do think there will be a wrongful death suit though and I think at least partial fault will fall on the city/contractors.
All IMO

Eta: It can be very hard to fix sinkholes, holes dug to fix things and potholes. Our ground sinks. Even filling up a deep hole with concrete is difficult. Not to say it can't be done, but it isn't as easy as it sound

While I certainly agree with you, Lousiana is a very poor state, with a history of mismanaged funds. Not excusing it, but it is our reality. A lot of the times, rather than fix a bad road, they put up signs that say "Substandard Roadway". I live right outside of BR and there was a bridge over the Amite River, that randomly had chunks of the concrete fall while people were driving across. Seriously. They would come patch that area and wait for the next chunk to fall out. They finally demolished the bridge and built 2 news ones.

Baton Rouge is even worse than my city and unfortunately, some areas are ignored more than others.

With all that said though, she should have been aware of the risk close to her and where her child was at all times. I do believe cutting corners is wrong, but the ultimate responsibilty falls on the mother/whomever was supposed to be watching him. I do think there will be a wrongful death suit though and I think at least partial fault will fall on the city/contractors.
All IMO

Eta: It can be very hard to fix sinkholes, holes dug to fix things and potholes. Our ground sinks. Even filling up a deep hole with concrete is difficult. Not to say it can't be done, but it isn't as easy as it sound

Exactly!!!! Anyone from Louisiana knows we have holes all over. It's not a huge surprise, they are everywhere. Moral of that story... watch your children!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it isn't a hole in the ground, it will be a river or a swimming pool or an emergency they can't handle because they are 4 or a creeper looking for a unsupervised child! It is against the law to leave your child unsupervised! It is not a "parenting choice", it is a law. I have serious issues with parents who do not watch their children (as most of us do, obviously!). This little baby should be alive and enjoying the cold weather right now.

This wasn't just a pothole in the street, this was a steel pipe that had been used as a casing for a wellhead. As you can see by the picture below, filling it up with concrete, or sand and concrete, would have been very easy to do. This picture was posted upthread as the actual pipe that the little boy fell into. There was no good reason why it couldn't have been filled in and capped off, I think a jury is gonna agree.

Attachments

• water pipe.jpg
    water pipe.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 87
This wasn't just a pothole in the street, this was a steel pipe that had been used as a casing for a wellhead. As you can see by the picture below, filling it up with concrete, or sand and concrete, would have been very easy to do. This picture was posted upthread as the actual pipe that the little boy fell into. There was no good reason why it couldn't have been filled in and capped off, I think a jury is gonna agree.

Yeah, I have seen the picture in our paper and online and it is obviously not a pothole. Many of the issues in filling it in though are the same. I do wonder though, when they did the work. I don't think I have seen when. The reason I am asking, is because we have been getting a lot of rain lately. I think that affects how responsible they are for not filling it in. Sand would have washed out if it was recently and you can't pour concrete when it is raining.

I do maintain though that: 1. He should have been supervised 2. They should have been aware of the hole and its danger. You can't miss work like that within 25 ft of your house.

I would feel completely differently if he had a history of being supervised, got out of the house/left the yard while his supervisor was momentarily occupied with something reasonable. Like a phone call instead of a drug deal (just as an example). And, if he had been reported missing quickly. None of that is the case in this situation.

This is a terrible, tragic situation, but one that could have been avoided. No matter who is responsible ultimately, Jassiah paid with his life.

ETA: We once had sewer work done in our front yard. It was weeks before it could get filled back in due to due weather, plus letting the wet ground settle, so it wouldn't have to be fixed over and over.

All of the above is MOO

That little boy was very lucky to have you in his life, what an angel you are SwampMama!! Do you have any idea where he is now?

He is in his 20's now and is a father, a very good father who adores his child. He fondly remembers our times together (till he was about 12 when he moved) where we had the silliest fun. I can see how he loves his child and indulges them with love and fun. He was such a fun, sweet kid and I always told him so, told him i loved him and treated him as if he were my own. I always wanted my son (an only child) to grow up with the fun of a sibling and thanks to this little boy, my son did.

I am so sad for Jassiah. What did he know of happiness, of love and comfort, of being spoiled with affection? Not much, I imagine. A child is to be loved and cherished, to drive you batty with their energy to the point you wish they might take a nap and the minute they fall asleep, they look like angels and you can't help but laugh and forget everything they did that drove you nuts.

I am surprised at the charges. I figured this would be a case where the mom suddenly became a doting, grieving mom for the TV's and court and walked off with a huge payoff from a lawsuit to go buy some more drugs and blinged out new life, this time without a child to have to bother with.

Why didn't the neighbors call when he showed up and stayed for days?
It takes a village people... when the village stops helping that when kids fall through the cracks.

This article says the hole had been filled with sand and concrete mixture that had washed away in heavy rain.

"The hole was left behind from a sewage pipe that was filled with a sand and concrete mixture. But the mixture was washed away during a heavy rain, according to city officials."

http://www.wbrz.com/news/mother-and-city-blame-the-other-for-child-s-death/

We have had an unusually wet few months where i am ( just NW of baton Rouge). For those who are unfamiliar with Louisiana, our state is on average 5 ft above sea level. So if that hole were say 15 feet, then it would likely have a good bit of water or wet conditions at those depths which would make it hard to get concrete to set or for dirt to form a solid surface. (dig a few feet down in our land and you will usually hit water or get a puddle that fills with water, this is why so many of our dead are buried above ground).

As the hole was lower than the surrounding ground, it could likely attract a good bit of any water when it rained, thus creating a very quicksand like muck which would wash away easily while leaving a puddle of water which looked deceptively shallow like any ordinary puddle. I see the boards and they were an attempt to cover the hole and were there must have been a better way to prevent such a freak accident.

It is entirely possible that the boards were up against each other, covering the hole and Jassiah was simply jumping on them, enjoying their bounce like a kind of trampoline or enjoying the way the water or mud squashed out when he jumped. The jumping could have caused them to loosen, and cause the gap that he fell thru. Or he may have seen an already open gap or curiously enlarged the gap and threw rock in it or leaned over used a stick to see how deep it went. How sad that he was only 25 feet from his house yet his mom (or family and neighbors) did not hear a thing.

At age 4 My son was only allowed to be outdoors by himself IN our backyard, beneath an open window, playing in my rock garden (I was 10-15 feet from the open window, cooking) where i could hear him clearly and notice if he got quiet or see him if got up.

This charges in this case are important to me because they hold a parent accountable for the death of a child and the lack of parental responsibility in allowing a child to be unattended and unreported. How many children have simply gone missing (or been killed) under mysterious circumstances and no charges were ever brought, or their bodies were discarded so that when they were found there was often no way to get the cause of death or who simply never reported as missing. I'm thinking of cases like: (the children's ages are to the best of my recollection and may be off a year or so).

Caylee Anthony (30 days missing and never reported by her mother).

2 year old Sky Metawala - His mother Julia claimed she left him in her car when it ran out of gas while she and her 4 year old walk to get gas, leaving him alone well over an hour and he was missing when she got back (but of course many of feel she killed him before then and this was her ridiculous alibi and she was never charged and Sky has never been found).

Dontell Melvin - He had not been seen for months even though the family had been under the care of DFS. The parents told others that he was with other relatives. When the police finally caught on and did a search, little Dontrell was found buried in the back yard. Brittany (the "mom") was briefly arrested but allowed ro be bailed out seeing as she was pregnant and has now had another child.

Oh I could go on and on, an ya'll could probably add dozens more to this post.

There should be stiff laws that if a child is missing you either report it or face jail time.
If a child dies, you report it or go to jail.
If you dispose of a child's body like trash - you go to jail for it.
etc,etc,etc

There many other cases of missing (most likely died at the hands of their parents/caretaker) where children are missing and presumed dead and yet no charges have ever been brought against them.

It was back in 2014, that Special Agent King had an idea to save more lives of missing children. That was after missing four-year-old Jassiah Clark was found dead from drowning.

"That night, I'm sitting there at home because I'm frustrated, and I'm like, 'You know, it takes our team a while to fly if you call us, depending on where it is, drive time.' I said, 'Why don't we train the state and locals the proper way to do this, form a team and they can be on the scene within 30 minutes and doing all the steps that a CARD Team does,'" King said.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/la-fbi-agents-idea-is-saving-children-across-the-country/488953254

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back