LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And she didn't die in sleep.
Her eyes were open wide :(

It's heartbreaking.
I just hope she knows somehow that not all people, let alone parents are like that, and that people who don't know her do care about what's happened to her.
I hope she did have memories of happier times.
I hope she's at peace now.
I hope she gets justice.

Exactly. No evidence she was even autistic to begin with. Something is missing here. Lacey, for whatever reason, couldn’t leave the couch and I refuse to believe it’s because she just decided to never get up.

What makes parents suddenly shut out the world on an otherwise seemingly healthy child? This can’t be as simple as two parents being “overwhelmed” and deciding to just let her rot away.

This seems like it was punishment. But for what exactly, and why was Lacey unable to fight back? What makes TWO parents decide to completely ignore their daughter’s health, her agony and quality of life while they were out and about, enjoying themselves?

This is more than neglect. There has gotta be abuse somewhere in the mix. If they starved her and told her she wasn’t allowed to leave the couch, that she wouldn’t eat or be cared for if she moved, that “makes sense” to me in terms of how she got that way. If she was too weak to get away or ask for help because of the punishment being via starvation and medical care, her mental state would obviously suffer and continue to decline so yeah…maybe she wouldn’t move because she literally couldn’t, but I refuse to buy that this girl somehow just accepted her fate and inevitable death.

I want to know if there was abuse or neglect leading up until her confinement to the couch. There are too many pieces missing for me to believe that these parents just decided to throw up their hands one day and let her die a slow and agonizing death.
It's been mentioned in a few articles that have been posted in this thread that she was indeed autistic.

Dr Bickham has revealed Lacey died from 'severe medical neglect, which led to chronic malnutrition, acute starvation, immobility, acute ulcer formation, osteomyelitis which is bone infection which led finally to sepsis'.

Lacey was suffering from social anxiety and severe autism, he added. The last time she saw a physician was when she was 16.
Former classmates said Lacey began to retreat into isolation in her teens as her autism accelerated and was home schooled after 9th grade.

About a week before a grand jury charged Sheila Fletcher with killing her daughter, she was placed on unpaid leave at her current government job as WBRZ exposed the shocking neglect that went on inside her home.

Fletcher—who currently works as a city prosecutor's secretary in Zachary—has been on administrative leave since April 26, the same day Chris Nakamoto and the WBRZ Investigative Unit first published details of her daughter's death.

I think I am asking for compassion for Lacey's parents until we can see in a court of law what happened. This requires looking beyond the mental/physical manifestations of life at its worst...before assessing blame.

To whom or what else could anyone assign blame, given it was reported they didn't take her to a doctor after she was 16? And that they are two functioning people (holding down jobs, keeping the rest of the house in order) with good financial means? And that the state she was in didn't occur in just a few days or weeks?

I think I am asking for compassion for Lacey's parents until we can see in a court of law what happened. This requires looking beyond the mental/physical manifestations of life at its worst...before assessing blame.
I don't want to argue, but I'm disabled myself and I absolutely can't find compassion for these monsters.
If this was a child who died from abuse and neglect, nobody would be asking for 'compassion' for the parents. But because she was a disabled adult, that makes it okay? There's so many cases of disabled adults dying from abuse or neglect and their caregivers (usually their parents) getting a slap on the wrist.

Disabled lives have value. I'm tired of the courts (and a lot of the general public) thinking crimes committed against disabled people are less serious. JMO

About a week before a grand jury charged Sheila Fletcher with killing her daughter, she was placed on unpaid leave at her current government job as WBRZ exposed the shocking neglect that went on inside her home.

Fletcher—who currently works as a city prosecutor's secretary in Zachary—has been on administrative leave since April 26, the same day Chris Nakamoto and the WBRZ Investigative Unit first published details of her daughter's death.

It seems like this town needs to get out and rock the vote. Their city officials are shady if not downright corrupt. I'm gobsmacked by the delicate way these murderers have been treated.

It's been mentioned in a few articles that have been posted in this thread that she was indeed autistic.

Dr Bickham has revealed Lacey died from 'severe medical neglect, which led to chronic malnutrition, acute starvation, immobility, acute ulcer formation, osteomyelitis which is bone infection which led finally to sepsis'.

Lacey was suffering from social anxiety and severe autism, he added. The last time she saw a physician was when she was 16.
Former classmates said Lacey began to retreat into isolation in her teens as her autism accelerated and was home schooled after 9th grade.

I had osteomyelitis back in January of 2021 and it was the worst pain I'd felt in years. That alone is horrifying - not to mention everything else she was suffering from. Ugh.

Why didn't they simply pick up the phone and call 911?!
I'm late to this thread so need to catch up, but can someone update me on the legal proceedings? It says "arrested" but on what charges etc? Forgive me for being impatient here.

Never. I am the mother of a 26 year old non-verbal child with severe developmental disabilities, there is NO EXCUSE for this. Never will they have any compassion from me or any other reasonable human being. Moo.

You would think the Fletcher's family doctor had some fiduciary responsibility as their physician to monitor Lacey's health and/or suggest appropriate measures to take with her health care, even if Lacey's doctor was not seeing her regularly for annual physicals, etc. Is it possible for 16 years she did not receive any medicine prescriptions for anything? There are so many unexplained reasons why Lacey was not properly care for and allowed to die the way she did, and I think her family doctor should have been more pro-active in assisting her when it became apparent she was homebound and completely dependent on her parents.

Never. I am the mother of a 26 year old non-verbal child with severe developmental disabilities, there is NO EXCUSE for this. Never will they have any compassion from me or any other reasonable human being. Moo.
There's some difference in Lacey's situation--she wasn't developmentally disabled. From all reports, she was good at volleyball and very smart; no problems were evident until she reach 9th grade age 14. Then everything started to change quickly when she no longer wanted to attend school. That time period in adolescence is rough for a lot teens. I also dropped out of school at age 14...35 years before Lacey did. It is a social problem that has a long and sad history with a lot of people experiencing leaving school with little or no high school--and then falling through the cracks regardless their physical and mental health. Lacey's tragic life highlights how important it is to have ongoing social learning and activities for young adults--cloistering at home should never be an option, imo.

There's some difference in Lacey's situation--she wasn't developmentally disabled. From all reports, she was good at volleyball and very smart; no problems were evident until she reach 9th grade age 14. Then everything started to change quickly when she no longer wanted to attend school. That time period in adolescence is rough for a lot teens. I also dropped out of school at age 14...35 years before Lacey did. It is a social problem that has a long and sad history with a lot of people experiencing leaving school with little or no high school--and then falling through the cracks regardless their physical and mental health. Lacey's tragic life highlights how important it is to have ongoing social learning and activities for young adults--cloistering at home should never be an option, imo.
Lacey did not "drop out" of school. She was removed from that last layer of protection by the abusive wretches she called "parents". She was unable to make the choice because she was in fact developmentally disabled-she was diagnosed with severe autism. Autism is a developmental disability.

There's a lot of speculation in this case--including my own. A court of law will allow professionals to flush out the truth. I hope Sam D'Aquilla, the district attorney for East Feliciana Parish, insists on a trial. Lacey deserves a public forum to unravel and expose what she was subjected to for so many years. Hopefully the gross negligence and suffering she went through result in policy changes with the school district and medical professionals.

It seems like this town needs to get out and rock the vote. Their city officials are shady if not downright corrupt. I'm gobsmacked by the delicate way these murderers have been treated.
Yes, the town of slaughter seems to have some rough edges to it--a bit of the wildwest is still there too. New video shows fight between fire chief, police officer in Slaughter

Can you post the msm link that reports Lacey dropped out of school because she no longer wanted to attend? My research says she was taken out of school to be homeschooled. That's a big difference.

Can you post the msm link that reports Lacey dropped out of school because she no longer wanted to attend? My research says she was taken out of school to be homeschooled. That's a big difference.

Lacey developed severe social anxiety at or around age 14 while in 9th grade--resulting in her withdrawing from school and being home schooled instead--I will look for the article that said her social anxiety was the reason she withdrew from school and was home schooled instead. I am sure more information will be forthcoming as the trial date nears. Hopefully, we will have trial. This is a nationwide concern--how we assist children/young adults vulnerable to their parents and other authorities for their safety and well-being.

Lacey developed severe social anxiety at or around age 14 while in 9th grade--resulting in her withdrawing from school and being home schooled instead--I will look for the article that said her social anxiety was the reason she withdrew from school and was home schooled instead. I am sure more information will be forthcoming as the trial date nears. Hopefully, we will have trial. This is a nationwide concern--how we assist children/young adults vulnerable to their parents and other authorities for their safety and well-being.
Thank you for your clarification @trujac. I misunderstood your earlier post to mean you were saying Lacey chose to drop out of school at age 14. My interpretation from msm was that her parents withdrew her in order to homeschool her. Nit picky yes but IMO an important difference.

IMO nothing that happened to Lacey was the result of anything she did; I believe her parents are solely responsible for her medical neglect and the horrific circumstances of the years she spent in isolation on that disgusting couch. MOO.

Yes--I agree with you--a 14 year old isn't an adult with a fully developed brain. They also don't have the social and financial skills and resources of an adult. Whatever permission and conditioning of behavior that went on from age 14 to when she became an adult, that led Lacey's parent to state that they were doing what Lacey wanted to do--i.e., home schooling, not leave the couch, tend to her own hygiene etc., does not make Lacey responsible for what happened to her. Lacey's parents were in control of what went on in their house. Their decisions were grossly wrong over many, many years and led to a harrowing outcome for their daughter.

I can’t think of any defense they could have. Do you have more information that might possibly clear them, both of them? I try to be open minded but I’m at a loss here as to why they allowed her to die. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llamb79