LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, im autistic AND had a hard time in my my teens ;)
I wouldn't say it 'accelerates' as the organic cause is static (i think you might be thinking of Rett syndrome which used to be grouped with ASD!), but as Dotta said comorbidities like anxiety + depression that commonly begin around that age can complicate everything and interact with and worsen your ASD symptoms. Around 11-15 is also when it might become obvious that you're functioning at a lower level than your peers, which can feel embarrassing and be isolating. If you then decide to isolate even more, I have no doubt symptoms would worsen.
I'll go out on a limb and say, though, that there's no way that someone with an ASD diagnosis (vs a degenerative condition or smth similar) could naturally (i.e. without other contributing factors) go from talkative and lively as a child to nonverbal as a young adult. Selectively mute due to social anxiety, perhaps, but not truly 'nonverbal' as parents have claimed. Either they're BSing (wouldn't be the first time lmao) or Lacey simply didn't speak much because what is there to talk about when you have no friends, no acquaintances, in one place all day every day, are likely in constant pain, and only see your parents who clearly don't care a whole lot about you?
This case is extremely complicated in my opinion. It has wide ramifications on how we as a society support and evaluate adolescents when a high curve ball hits them--and they are at the mercy of the system. Speaking from my experiences in the early 1960s, it was a tough and untraveled road. My parents, psychologists, the police department, and The Board of Education had to grapple with a lot. In the end, as I see it--Lacey chose her parents and their home as a refuge. In contrast, age 14, I fled--moving out of my parent's home. I took different chances. But in both situations our parents continued to be our be parents. My advice for young adults who find themselves unable to cope with their life while living in their parent's home--move out.

This case is extremely complicated in my opinion. It has wide ramifications on how we as a society support and evaluate adolescents when a high curve ball hits them--and they are at the mercy of the system. Speaking from my experiences in the early 1960s, it was a tough and untraveled road. My parents, psychologists, the police department, and The Board of Education had to grapple with a lot. In the end, as I see it--Lacey chose her parents and their home as a refuge. In contrast, age 14, I fled--moving out of my parent's home. I took different chances. But in both situations our parents continued to be our be parents. My advice for young adults who find themselves unable to cope with their life while living in their parent's home--move out.
I don't think this poor woman had that option. She had issues and needed her parents help. They chose to let her rot instead.

Lacey attended a private school, K to age 14/grade 9, and last saw a physician at age 16. So she saw some physician after leaving school. Link below. “Doc in a box” probably weren’t that prevalent when she was 16, so I’m guessing there’s a good chance it was her PCP. (Even if a private school is flexible on some/all vaccines, most do want at least some health care provider to sign off on physical fitness IMO).

So what happened in the appx 20 years from age 16 to death at 36? My guess (and it’s just a guess) is that something happened in the 16-24yr range (reports suggest she was couch-bound for 12yrs). Brain injury, overdose, pregnancy. Something. Not a gradual withering-away. JMO.

That couch alone says abuse and neglect and a filthy smelly house

<modsnip>
I suspect that her serious issues which led to her staying on the couch were more of a psychological problem then a physical one.
I have a feeling there was more abuse going on which led her to develop to that serious situation. We will never know full story since Lacey can’t speak for herself but something has happened to her that dramatically changed her. All IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
First time reading this thread and I am physically sick from it.

I'm trying to understand how authorities were notified of her death. Apparently her mom made the 911 call? But if they had hidden this situation for years, why would they suddenly be ok with someone coming in and seeing the state of things?! And if they were ok with this being seen, why not call 911 much, much sooner and get her some help?

It just isn't adding up for me.

Her parents were away for a few days prior to her death. Was she regularly getting her own food? When they left for their trip, did they leave meals out for her near enough to reach in a cooler or something? Or were they just cool with letting her go days with no food? ("If she gets hungry enough, she'll eat the sofa foam")??

I wonder if she died before they left, or if she was obviously close to death and they decided to be gone long enough that they could come home and pretend to be surprised by finding her dead. Is it possible they thought no one would be able to tell that she'd been in the same spot for years?

I don't think this poor woman had that option. She had issues and needed her parents help. They chose to let her rot instead.
Yes, I agree she apparently was suffering from extreme social anxiety--and the township of Slaughter doesn't appear to have a lot of community resources. It's a shame she wasn't able to network with immediate family and close friends to help support her with other options--other than remaining in her parent's home not doing anything with her life. I think she genuinely loved her parents, and in the beginning felt her parents were supporting her by letting her withdraw from school, and live a life where she didn't have to engage with others socially. As I understand, for roughly 2 years after she left school, friends came over to the house to watch Disney movies with Lacey...but as her friends grew older their interests and activities changed, and they moved on. I don't get the impression that there was conflict between Lacey and her parents in the beginning of her ordeal--that aspect had it existed would have given Lacey the incentive to runaway or get her parent's permission to move into another place that might have significantly helped her.

I just don't understand this notion of "home schooling" in this case.

So,
who was teaching her various subjects?
Her parents?

Where I live, education is obligatory till the age of 18.

There are some cases of "home schooling" (very rare) but the children/teens must pass national exams.

Parents are controlled by Educational Board very closely!
I know, as I'm a teacher.

ADMIN NOTE

There has been NO indication or substantiation that Lacey suffered from so-called “locked-in” syndrome. UNLESS/UNTIL MSM or LE report that this unusual syndrome is a factor in this case, IT IS SPECULATION not based in any published fact, OFF TOPIC and will be removed.

I wonder if she died before they left, or if she was obviously close to death and they decided to be gone long enough that they could come home and pretend to be surprised by finding her dead. Is it possible they thought no one would be able to tell that she'd been in the same spot for years?
This has been my suspicion. IMO They knew death was imminent and left for long enough for Lacey to die while they were gone.

I don't know how I will ever make sense of what these "parents" did, but I have a very hard time giving them any benefit of the doubt here.

Poor Lacey. You did not deserve this. I'm sorry your family and community failed you so spectacularly. May you rest in peace and may justice come.

:rose:

Lacey attended a private school, K to age 14/grade 9, and last saw a physician at age 16. So she saw some physician after leaving school. Link below. “Doc in a box” probably weren’t that prevalent when she was 16, so I’m guessing there’s a good chance it was her PCP. (Even if a private school is flexible on some/all vaccines, most do want at least some health care provider to sign off on physical fitness IMO).

So what happened in the appx 20 years from age 16 to death at 36? My guess (and it’s just a guess) is that something happened in the 16-24yr range (reports suggest she was couch-bound for 12yrs). Brain injury, overdose, pregnancy. Something. Not a gradual withering-away. JMO.

She might have developed a form of schizophrenia over time that completely broke down her reasoning abilities and exacerbated her fear of people--which might have included eventually being afraid of her parents. There were some early articles about Lacey where her friends said she thought differently than other people. Perhaps by age 21 Lacey's cognitive abilities started to change/decline and she was also emotionally unstable...showing signs of schizophrenia--but by then no one was monitoring her physical and mental health, and her parents were clueless. However, I read an article where Lacey's parents said they thought of institutionalizing her but decided against it. The trial will be enlightening, and I hope the court allows live testimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member