LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
However, I read an article where Lacey's parents said they thought of institutionalizing her but decided against it. The trial will be enlightening, and I hope the court allows live testimony.
Really?
How interesting!
I would like to read this article.

As for the trial - they might try to avoid it and decide to agree to a plea deal.

<modsnip>
I suspect that her serious issues which led to her staying on the couch were more of a psychological problem then a physical one.
I have a feeling there was more abuse going on which led her to develop to that serious situation. We will never know full story since Lacey can’t speak for herself but something has happened to her that dramatically changed her. All IMO
Some of her friends said that she used to email them until around 8 years ago. A neighbor used to see her outside until she stopped going out around the same time frame per posted articles here. Her parents would probably been working full time then. Something could have happened to her on one of her walks. It is a small town so she might not have always had her door locked when her parents were at work. Something traumatic could have occurred either outside or in her home that made her feel so unsafe that her world narrowed down to just one spot on the sofa.

Really?
How interesting!
I would like to read this article.

As for the trial - they might try to avoid it and decide to agree to a plea deal.
There were two articles--I found one again--that mentions Lacey's parents thought about institutionalizing her:

"Her parents told investigators they brought their daughter her meals and set up a bedside toilet for her, but she would not use it, NOLA.com reported. They said they considered having Lacey Fletcher committed to a mental or medical facility but ultimately did not do so."

Sorry to obsess about "home schooling" :)

I could understand it, if she was assigned a tutor by Education Department b/c of her social anxiety.

This way her mental state would have been monitored and adequate measures taken.

But just taken out of school at 14/15 with parents as teachers???

With no teaching qualifications?

My mind boggles o_O

I just don't understand this notion of "home schooling" in this case.

So,
who was teaching her various subjects?
Her parents?

Where I live, education is obligatory till the age of 18.

There are some cases of "home schooling" (very rare) but the children/teens must pass national exams.

Parents are controlled by Educational Board very closely!
I know, as I'm a teacher.

In the US, requirements (like testing or submission of work) and supervision vary wildly among states. Generally, the parent must notify the district of the intent to homeschool and provide an equivalent education. I don’t know what LA’s rules were 20+ years ago but I can say that it is not the case in any US state that homeschoolers are “controlled by an Educational Board very closely.” In my state, I only need to provide an education. There is no oversight/supervision and notice is a courtesy. I don’t need approval to homeschool, nor do I submit lesson plans, student work, or test results. Homeschoolers tend to be fiercely protective of their freedom. It can be a great choice, or it can hide educational neglect (or worse) IMO.

In the US, requirements (like testing or submission of work) and supervision vary wildly among states. Generally, the parent must notify the district of the intent to homeschool and provide an equivalent education. I don’t know what LA’s rules were 20+ years ago but I can say that it is not the case in any US state that homeschoolers are “controlled by an Educational Board very closely.” In my state, I only need to provide an education. There is no oversight/supervision and notice is a courtesy. I don’t need approval to homeschool, nor do I submit lesson plans, student work, or test results. Homeschoolers tend to be fiercely protective of their freedom. It can be a great choice, or it can hide educational neglect (or worse) IMO.
Thanks.

It is a pity that some kids are deprived of school life, meeting with peers, gaining social skills, having fun cooperating while working upon school projects or taking part in sports competitions.

Not to mention being taught by qualified professionals.

After all, school years seem to be one of the best parts of life :)

Last edited:
Thanks.

It is a pity that some kids are deprived of school life, meeting with peers, gaining social skills, having fun cooperating while working upon school projects or taking part in sports competitions.

Not to mention being taught by qualified professionals.

After all, school years seem to be the one of the best parts of life :)

Most of those things - group projects, sports, social life - can be accomplished with responsible homeschooling. It’s not just the experience of being on a soccer team - it’s also the number of adults in the child’s orbit. My kids have coaches, camp counselors, music instructors, tutors, speech therapists, and babysitters - all people who can report me for educational neglect or abuse. Who did Lacey have?

Most of those things - group projects, sports, social life - can be accomplished with responsible homeschooling. It’s not just the experience of being on a soccer team - it’s also the number of adults in the child’s orbit. My kids have coaches, camp counselors, music instructors, tutors, speech therapists, and babysitters - all people who can report me for educational neglect or abuse. Who did Lacey have?
Yes, the KEY word is "RESPONSIBLE".

Last edited:
I feel like the fact they considered institutionalizing her, but decided against it, will prove a big deal in any trial. JMO. They obviously knew that is the level of care she needed IMO. This isn't a case of cluelessness about what she needed. It appears they decided not to give her that care, either through outside help or from themselves.

In my State getting a G.E.D. or high school equivalency certificate lets young adults off the hook education wise. I taught the G.E.D. Prep class and another education program for students who couldn't pass the G.E.D. test. It was a longer program and a lot easier in math and English than the G.E.D. It had five basic courses, and the student was given a test after each course--life skills as it relates to math and English, economics, understanding the law and how the government works. I can't recall the name of the program it was 30 years ago. But I taught the two classes at a high school in the evenings. Students motivated to attend the G.E.D. prep classes, or the alternative five course study program usually weren't at risk for other problems. I thought the Board of Education had the right idea to implement an easier alternative to getting a G.E.D. for students who couldn't pass the G.E.D. test and struggled with going to school..since the purpose of the G.E.D. was getting kids and adults back on track to a more productive life. When I stopped going to school after 8th grade there was no home schooling--I don't recall that ever being an option--and my mother was a 6th grade teacher! Instead there were one or two loosely put together education programs for dropouts that were taught in a church and at a small theater. Since then there doesn't seem to be much progress made in the area of helping young adults continue their education when they dropout. I think the whole education system needs an overhaul--education should be viewed as an important community resource and not so focused on competition and grades. I had the good fortune from kindergarten to 6th grade to attend an experimental Lab School--before starting 7th grade in a public school--which I ended up quitting...at the Lab School we spent most days outside learning about the world, ourselves and others--visiting numerous businesses, airport hangers, museums, art galleries, ponds, streams and the ocean...classroom instruction was a side note that everyone wanted to do well so we could get on with other outdoor educational projects. My schoolmates were a hodgepodge of different classes, races, academic and physical abilities--there were even children of different ages in my classes. The school was an extension of the University system put together as an experiment in the 1950s to see how well children would do in a less structured elementary school setting with a wide variety of children comprising the student body. I think a lot of young adults experience anxiety about attending school in one form or another. The hierarchical and regimented structuring of abilities and age groups seems dated to me--after all, it wasn't too long ago when students of all ages and abilities attended a one room school house.

What happened between 14-26? It seems she was in school with peers until 14, had friends, stayed in contact with friends up until 26. Was she permanently injured in some way that prevented her from leaving the sofa?

Did anyone see her from 14-26? It seems a huge gap between what seemed like normal life until 22 years later being dead in a sofa.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around what happened here. We clearly aren’t getting the whole story here.

A neighbor recalls seeing Lacey outside a few times in the past, the last time being about 15 years ago when she would have been 21 or so. He described her as thin but normal looking. According to him she was exercising using small weights.

The neighbor claimed Lacey became withdrawn around the age of 14 according to his son who was Lacey's age. Yet he said he asked the father about Lacey about 5 years ago, thinking she had gotten married and moved away so he probably didn't view her situation as extreme or dire. He noted that the father simply said Lacey was fine and still living with them. Then he changed the subject.

So IMO it appears that Lacey was functioning well enough to go outside until about age 21. Well enough that a neighbor thought she may have gotten married when he no longer saw her. What happened?

IMO the parents successfully hid their medical neglect of Lacey and chose to ignore all available resources, worsening any medical issues that may have been developing. What makes them any more sympathetic than the parents of Sterling Koehn or Sherin Mathews? They'll get no sympathy from me. MOO.

That's an important question.
Im beginning to suspect that the root of the problem was...money.

Lacey was an adult, she was not registered as a disabled person (well, that is my opinion).

So, if she wasn't medically insured (she didn't work), going to a facility might have cost a fortune.

But I might be wrong as I live far away from the USA, so I don't know the medical issues in this country.

Im beginning to suspect that the root of the problem was...money.

Lacey was an adult, she was not registered as a disabled person (well, that is my opinion).

So, if she wasn't medically insured (she didn't work), going to a facility might have cost a fortune.

But I might be wrong as I live far away from the USA, so I don't know the medical issues in this country.

If she was as impaired as the parents state -- she would qualify for Social Security Disability and Medicaid here in the US, and a host of other social services at little or no cost to the individual as the programs are tax funded.

Public school would assist in the process, IDK about the private school in the news stories?

If the facts are as published, the parents denied her this.

Vocational Rehabilitation is in every state in the US, and will help either train the individual for a job OR qualify that individual for disability.

Community mental health services are also available in the US, a a community-based worker could come to the home, assess the individual, and chart a path forward. This could include tele-health (on-line appointments,) prescription support, all the way up to inpatient care.

If caregivers request this.

Apparently another service denied Ms. Fletcher.

jmho ymmv lrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members