LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am familiar with the Cajun dialect. I grew up in Lafayette, although I was not born there. My Dad got a faculty position at USL and we moved to town when I was 6. I left for good when I was about 25, but much of my family is still in town.

This was a written press release. You would think they would use someone with good language skills for writing these.

:floorlaugh:

You're a comedian.

If he did accidently hit her, why take the evidence and dump it in the basin for nobody to find?

As others have already mentioned, some possibilities:

-the driver of said vehicle may have been up to other forms of no-good (possession with intent to distribute; married, but cheating; etc.)

-fugitive from justice;

-suspended DL;

-prior conviction for DUI manslaughter (suspended);

-currently on probation;

-out of prison on parole;

-etc.

No use in belaboring the point (we could spend all day listing such possibilities), but it's ill-advised to simply write off such possibilities, IMO.

Dude, as far as public releases, public reporting, newspaper headline, etc., this town puts the "W" in illiterate!!!

Just want to mention something about the ignore button...
It works well if you have a short fuse , but you can also miss important posts
Unless they are quoted, you won't see them and that isn't always a good thing

IMO ignoring anyone (unless they've directly attacked you) is silly. Put on your big kid pants y'all!

You are right.. but if the posts are important, they likely will be requoted - discussed, and you will see them anyway and not miss them.

Whatever makes you happy

IMO, all opinions are welcome and a little patience for new people is considerate

It can be daunting to come into a case late
Most people are here to help

I do agree about continuing down a road when something has been clearly stated. It is frustrating but I usually choose to answer once and then point the poster to the link

JMO

Guys, enough with these DUI hit-and-run scenarios. Though it would be easier on the heart and mind to believe Mickey was randomly hit by a stranger, consider the horror this person has put us through.

If he did accidently hit her, why take the evidence and dump it in the basin for nobody to find? Who is to say that she was dead when he did hit her? She may have had a fighting chance to survive, but it was taken away by this sick individual. This makes our suspect a MURDERER. Who is to say that his means of abducting her wasn't just to hit her with his vehicle?
his paint from his vehicle on the bike, wanted to get rid of any forensic evidence. MOO

Yes, that's the case.

She went missing two days after Mickey. The following isn't as huge, and nothing more about the case is known besides she was last seen somewhere on West Canal St. in Picayune, MS. She's 5'5, 91 lbs. I'll attach the Missing flyer.
Awful just awful. Could our Perp get to Picayune MS within 48 hours and do this? Again, makes me wonder if there an underground network on the internet going on.

Great thought. Could have happened!! They were listening for a splash, but heard a crash, and had to go down and deal with it.

Definitely possible. Great outside-the-box thinking -

Would that also explain the grips being separated (if that is the case)? Would the bike maybe bounce and cause damage to the back of bike and the grips? I am thinking this would leave a good amount of evidence though. i.e. broken lights?

Lafayette's a cut above a lot of the rest of the state, but public illiteracy in high places is a feature, not a bug. New-Iberia Congressman Jeff Landry is up in Washington rewriting the English language in his own image, as we speak.

Great info!!
LaffyMO said he/she is going to go up there and check the alignment of the cameras!

important sleuthing, IMO

Unfortunately, I hit the LCG parking lot at the same time that the storm did, so I'll have to defer to EBR's already excellent work on this point. I can confirm that there is at least one very prominent camera on the West side of the building facing the driveway leading up to the utility payment drive-through. Beyond that, I did the best I could to crane my neck and spot any additional cameras, but the rain was coming down in sheets and I just couldn't see much. I will say that I did not recognize the cameras that EBR referred to, but if he says they are there then I have no reason to doubt him. If anyone goes over there with a smartphone, I'd sure be interested in seeing pics of those cameras so that I'll know what I should have seen.

On a related note, I entered the parking lot from Azalea Street. Let me tell you, it would be incredibly spooky to come through there on a bicyle at 2 am. I don't want to imagine what could happen through there, not to mention there's a coulee running right underneath the roadway. Also, I'd imagine anyone in a vehicle cutting through on Azalea from University looking to make a shortcut over to the Saint Streets would probably be ripping through way too fast and never in a million years expect to come up on a bicyclist. I don't believe this was a simple hit-and-run, but I could see it happening under certain conditions.

We have dubbed our newspaper "the daily disappointment". It's that bad. As an English minor I cringe at the writing in that thing. Yikes.

As a younger kid, I would often ride my bike a few miles or so back and forth between friends houses. The roads I took were nothing more than two lane roads with two way traffic. There really was no room for two cars and a bicycle.
One thing I distinctly remember doing was that when riding after dark, I would pay close attention to headlights in front of me. Obviously, I could see them before they could see me. When this happened, I would tuck away into a driveway or a side street and continue on once car had passed.
I would do similar things when the cars approached from the rear. In darkness, I could easily tell when a car approached from the rear because everything in front of me would illuminate when the car turned onto the road in which I was traveling.
This not only kept me out of lanes of travel, it gave me sort of an "early warning" system should a car follow me.
I know it is remote, but what if Mickey took a similar approach. If we look at the pic of her and the pic of the truck following her, the time that elapsed between her turn on to St. Landry and the trucks turn onto St. Landry would, depending on her rate of speed, likely put her near the funeral home.
If we look at this location on the map, the is access to Parkside Dr. from the back of that parking lot.
This could explain why she was not seen on other footage, and may have given perp time and secure location to clean up any evidence that may have been dropped during the abduction.:moo:

good point, all cyclist's have a "style" of riding. She appears to ride a bit farther out in the street than I do, but I've been hit and have an extremely healthy respect for cars. It was night and the traffic was light so that may be the reason for her style of riding. You are correct, you can tell a car is coming from behind at night from a distance because of the lights. If someone was following her it would have been evident, because they would have been "lurking" right behind her. Lurking riders aggravate me and I usually will do just what you suggested and pull away so that they can pass me. It is entirely possible Mickey did this and was nabbed, or hit.

La

Whatever makes you happy

IMO, all opinions are welcome and a little patience for new people is considerate

It can be daunting to come into a case late
Most people are here to help

I do agree about continuing down a road when something has been clearly stated. It is frustrating but I usually choose to answer once and then point the poster to the link

JMO

You're right. The issue arises when the person's NOT on the case late. otherwise, all questions welcome! :)

I'm wondering if the person who dumped the bike had Mickey in his (her?) truck and kept right on going out of state on the expressway. Where does that expressway lead to in the direction the bike dumper must have been going? Once out of state, the person could have gone anywhere and if the person killed Mickey, she could have been dumped a very long ways from where people are looking for her. I hope she is alive and well somewhere but I suspect she was killed by someone and disposed of somewhere far from her home.

Great thought. Could have happened!! They were listening for a splash, but heard a crash, and had to go down and deal with it.

Definitely possible. Great outside-the-box thinking -

i have way outside the box thinking i hesitate to post and is semi related to the question about the blue stripe on the building i asked about earlier...

Dude, as far as public releases, public reporting, newspaper headline, etc., this town puts the "W" in illiterate!!!

I don't think it's just you. Horrible quality news text is everywhere. Local papers are in terrible shape.

It might be related to the salary these organizations are willing to pay.

My 6 year old granddaughter could probably get a job as an 'editor'.

Would that also explain the grips being separated (if that is the case)? Would the bike maybe bounce and cause damage to the back of bike and the grips? I am thinking this would leave a good amount of evidence though. i.e. broken lights?

I still think the perp may have ridden or walked the bike, which could account for removal of handgrips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3