LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would his age have been a mitigating factor?

To me personally? No. He shouldn't have been drinking or under the influence period because the law says he isn't old enough. I'm guessing what they are saying is "why go through with the misdemeanor when he's pleading guilty to a felony?" I still don't agree, though. Accountability is a must, IMO.

I totally agree and could not have written this any better. Bravo, chicken that is fried. Bravo.

agreed. some of the old folks still speak old cajun French over there. these are the families of the cajuns that came off the boats from Nova Scotia. EVERYONE knows each other in Breaux Bridge.

is there really a buzz going around? in a way, i hope it's Rockie and an accident/coverup because I can't stand to think about her being held against her will with unthinkable things happening. still though, i just don't see why there wouldn't be more damage to the bike and blood on the road if someone wrecked into her.

If McGee was involved and had a passenger, it's going to spill. Count on it. Cajuns live to talk, and Breaux Bridge is more Cajun than darn near anywhere else in the state. Heck, Breaux Bridge invented Crawfish Etouffee, and is home to the state's largest Crawfish Festival - excuse me... l'festivale ecrevisse!

The white truck in VS picture, the snow picture, seems to show writing on the drivers side door. I know Silverado's have that, anything else?

Ecrevisse is where the words, "crayfish" and "crawfish" comes from. Bet some of you always wondered why a ditchbug with claws would be called a fish !

Since we are allowed to sleuth rocky (per the admin), could somebody please post the photo of him in front of the white truck that matches the description of the VOI?

Can't say this for all of KATC but at least one reporter says they won't mention any names (referencing my direct question about RM) without an arrest.

Since we are allowed do sleuth rocky (per the admin), could somebody please post the photo of him in front of the white trucks that matches the description of the VOI?

I would say it's ok to show the truck, but blur his face. i don't think it's OK to post his face//// JMO

Since we are allowed do sleuth rocky (per the admin), could somebody please post the photo of him in front of the white trucks that matches the description of the VOI?

It's not him, it's just one of the guys who was in the vehicle he was driving when the fatal wreck occured.

If McGee was involved and had a passenger, it's going to spill. Count on it. Cajuns live to talk, and Breaux Bridge is more Cajun than darn near anywhere else in the state. Heck, Breaux Bridge invented Crawfish Etouffee, and is home to the state's largest Crawfish Festival - excuse me... l'festivale ecrevisse!

Mother's crawfish etouffee omlette in NOLA is my FAVORITE!

(and the hickory coffee)

sorry.. just had to share that

He's all we got right now?
Thinking....thinking.....(that accounts for the funny burning smell)....he was OWI though not prosecuted:

Bars let out about 2 a.m. possibly putting Mickey in the path of an OWI....

This guy's still too young to drink in bars but that makes no nevermind really.

Still, it weakens the speculation because somebody's going to have to break the law to serve him.

Left the scene of one fatality accident already.

Our case might initially involve an accident.

And is that about it? So far I mean.

Jmo, recalling my bar days most people don't go alone. Id think hed have a passenger. Also, it makes sense timewise that he had help getting her and the bike.

A couple thoughts, for non-locals, in case this into begins to develop: I used to teach public school in Breaux Bridge.

It is a different world over there from Lafayette. Mickey is basically a Louisiana city girl. Over there, once you cross the Bayou Teche, those people in St. Martin Parish are still as Cajun-country as it gets. The people are very different. Folks not from down here don't understand. The families stay there for generation after generation. All the roads are named after someone's grandpa. Everyone knows each other. Traditional education is giving next to bottom priority, in general. The kids have an OUTDOORS education. I also taught in a couple Lafayette schools, and there was a stark difference. They are wild....party hard - live hard - hunt hard - my students used to be late to school a lot out hunting in the morning. Crawfish ponds are everywhere, and cane fields. The area is very poor compared to most of Lafayette. To them, Lafayette is the big city.

The families are TIGHT, like an organism.... everyone knows each other's business, and entire extended families have reputations for different character traits. Everything gets done on the basis of not what you know, but who you know. Oh sure, it's like that in Lafayette to, but this is the heartland of Cajuns.

The reason I'm saying all this... is that out-of-town folks here should realize that it could get and messy. Political corruption is the Louisiana sport. In little places like the Breaux-Bridge, St. Martinville, etc. area, it's just in the DNA. There are intrigues and dramas and emotional decisions made all the time that have just as mjuch to do with who is fighting whom, as to the actually issue at hand.

So..... that preamble said, the Cajun Net is flying. This case may very well be getting worked out in back-room conversations between different factions of relatives. If this kid is found to be involved, his family will likely protect him. But, as word gets out, it will become a huge furor - all the women on the phones trying to sort it out. The police may even be presented a fait accompli. Because though his family may try to protect him, that's a Catholic, God-fearing area. Pressure to protect him will be faced with even greater mouth-to-mouth pressure to surrender him. It will be fought out on the Cajun Net before we ever hear of it here on the Internet.

But - in the end - this Cajun community will do the right thing. If ANYONE in Breaux Bridge knows what happened, it WILL spill. The truth WILL come out, as the entire community begins to buzz. If he gets implicated in this, the people of that area will not stop until he has been forced to confess. Crazy, wild, flawed, hearty, gossipy people they are, they won't hide him. If he's in Breaux Bridge, he will be brought to justice. The character of the community that I know, will ensure it.

I love your posts, CF. You really convey the feel of a place.

You said if anyone knows, it will spill. Well, that's exactly what the GLP poster was doing, with the safety of the anonymity the forum provides. He went to the biggest conspiracy site on the web and dropped that hint about the bayou, couching it as 'psychic' info. I knew it wasn't psychic because of the precise locations and that's why I was alarmed on Tuesday night. My concern was that he overheard something, or heard it through the local grapevine. Looks like that's right. We shall see, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3