LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I don't understand as LE said that the accident had been caused by the other vehicle running into this guy when he was 17 yo. :waitasec:

It says " ..was struck by another vehicle being driven by Mcgee"

I stated this in my initial post some threads back, but the area in which Ms Shunick went missing seems to be the place to go in Lafayette for anyone looking to have a night out.

I first visited the city on Saturday the 19th, and wasn't able to meet the local friend I'd initially intended to see. As my partner and I knew little about the place, we asked a young man working in a bike shop where he'd suggest we visit. He directed us toward Jefferson Street and its environs, and we spent a few hours walking around. As we were driving, we didn't drink, but we saw lots of bars and restaurants, all teeming with young folks looking to have a good time.

Given that Ms Shunick went missing around 2AM, when the bars close, I had figured that the person who caused her to vanish was either A) drunk or B) looking for people who were likely to be drunk.

Granted, those qualifiers cover a lot of ground, but I think they're important to remember when questioning possible motivations for this crime.

Maybe someone needs to make a big WS poster and hold it up so we can all meet up. Has anyone here searched under TES? Are they picking groups or can you choose?

I think you can pretty much choose, they just grab people so they can quickly get 10 and jet.

Heres an interesting tidbit that comes in handy. In louisiana it is not trespassing if you are looking for a lost pet. Just FYI, carry a leash around and you can get into just about wherever you want ;)

I LOVE that you know something like that! :rocker:

One of the passengers mentioned in the article from the hit/run is on RM FB friend list. He has a couple of public photo albums. There is one picture of him posing in front of what it looks like a 4 door, white truck, with a chrome running board/bar.

evidently i have a mutual friend with one of the guys who was in hit and run (the first one)

My LE friend worked in North Louisiana and was a U.S. Marshall, he has been out of LE for years. I cannot imagine he can make any calls.

LA

No theres not. Lot going on right now public hasnt been made aware of. But I will say LE knows a good bit about whats what.

Holy *****! This is the guy that someone at GLP posted about about three nights ago! He gave a link to an article about a fatal car wreck caused by this guy, for which he got a DUI.

:furious: So why isn't this %$#* in prison :jail: for vehicular manslaughter??!!

:banghead:

---
Cedars says he initially tried to charge Mcgee with vehicular homicide but would have had to prove that intoxication caused the accident, and the evidence supported that Amlani had turned into Mcgee’s car. The ADA was able to secure a guilty plea to felony hit and run with a fatality.
---
Cedars says Mcgee was not prosecuted on the OWI charge, which would have been a misdemeanor. “By his pleading guilty to felony hit and run, there was no reason to prosecute OWI,” he says.
---
http://www.theind.com/news/10633-police-confirm-rocky-mcgee-interviewed-in-shunick-case

Cedars says Mcgee was not prosecuted on the OWI charge, which would have been a misdemeanor. “By his pleading guilty to felony hit and run, there was no reason to prosecute OWI,” he says.

http://www.theind.com/news/10633-police-confirm-rocky-mcgee-interviewed-in-shunick-case

Apparently he was not charged with dui per the article, felony hit and run. Also, the article doesnt say he's a POI just was questioned.

NO REASON TO PROSECUTE THE OWI? I need the headband icon. Reason #1: because he was OWI. reason #2: he killed someone
Reason #3: to teach criminals they can't get away with breaking the law!
Reason #4: OWI is a misdemeanor until your get your 3rd, then it's a felony with hard time.
SMH at them for not prosecuting!

NO REASON TO PROSECUTE THE OWI? I need the headband icon. Reason #1: because he was OWI. reason #2: he killed someone
Reason #3: to teach criminals they can't get away with breaking the law!
Reason #4: OWI is a misdemeanor until your get your 3rd, then it's a felony with hard time.
SMH at them for not prosecuting!

Would his age have been a mitigating factor?

A couple thoughts, for non-locals, in case this into begins to develop: I used to teach public school in Breaux Bridge.

It is a different world over there from Lafayette. Mickey is basically a Louisiana city girl. Over there, once you cross the Bayou Teche, those people in St. Martin Parish are still as Cajun-country as it gets. The people are very different. Folks not from down here don't understand. The families stay there for generation after generation. All the roads are named after someone's grandpa. Everyone knows each other. Traditional education is giving next to bottom priority, in general. The kids have an OUTDOORS education. I also taught in a couple Lafayette schools, and there was a stark difference. They are wild....party hard - live hard - hunt hard - my students used to be late to school a lot out hunting in the morning. Crawfish ponds are everywhere, and cane fields. The area is very poor compared to most of Lafayette. To them, Lafayette is the big city.

The families are TIGHT, like an organism.... everyone knows each other's business, and entire extended families have reputations for different character traits. Everything gets done on the basis of not what you know, but who you know. Oh sure, it's like that in Lafayette to, but this is the heartland of Cajuns.

The reason I'm saying all this... is that out-of-town folks here should realize that it could get and messy. Political corruption is the Louisiana sport. In little places like the Breaux-Bridge, St. Martinville, etc. area, it's just in the DNA. There are intrigues and dramas and emotional decisions made all the time that have just as mjuch to do with who is fighting whom, as to the actually issue at hand.

So..... that preamble said, the Cajun Net is flying. This case may very well be getting worked out in back-room conversations between different factions of relatives. If this kid is found to be involved, his family will likely protect him. But, as word gets out, it will become a huge furor - all the women on the phones trying to sort it out. The police may even be presented a fait accompli. Because though his family may try to protect him, that's a Catholic, God-fearing area. Pressure to protect him will be faced with even greater mouth-to-mouth pressure to surrender him. It will be fought out on the Cajun Net before we ever hear of it here on the Internet.

But - in the end - this Cajun community will do the right thing. If ANYONE in Breaux Bridge knows what happened, it WILL spill. The truth WILL come out, as the entire community begins to buzz. If he gets implicated in this, the people of that area will not stop until he has been forced to confess. Crazy, wild, flawed, hearty, gossipy people they are, they won't hide him. If he's in Breaux Bridge, he will be brought to justice. The character of the community that I know, will ensure it.

It's been buzzing, chicken. I suspect this process may be well underway.

You described it so well, thank you.

Although I don't understand as LE said that the accident had been caused by the other vehicle running into this guy when he was 17 yo. :waitasec:

Let's see, RM left the scene, was DUI and did not have a DL. I understand it.

Can you give us any tips on what to bring &I wear? Also, is there a minimum time you are required to stay? (Some of us have kidos through we will eventually have to get back to.

If they are still doing woods, bring a lightweight longsleeve shirt and gardening gloves that are good for thorns. The gloves were provided by a volunteer on my team or I wouldn't have had them.

Pants, tennis shoes or boots, hat, lightweight backpack... the searches were long so I needed a bag because we went through more than 2 bottles of water each.

Suntan lotion, water, bug spray, food etc they provided.

Minimum time is one search, so a few hours. You can go out for more or just do one.

One of the passengers mentioned in the article from the hit/run is on RM FB friend list. He has a couple of public photo albums. There is one picture of him posing in front of what it looks like a 4 door, white truck, with a chrome running board/bar.

OK, I see it now. It's just in the background of a pic of VC, who was one of the 2 guys in the vehicle with McGee when the fatal accident occured. It's hard to tell whether he really has a connection to that white truck or not, it's just in the background of one pic (it does have a chrome gas tank door but that could easily be coincidental). VC's truck is obviously silver and doesn't look like the truck we are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3