LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I'm picking Butte La Rose is that it's the best access point to the Pilot Channel upstream of the WB bridge. You put in at the eastern Whiskey Bay ramp, you can't get there. you put in at the west end, you'd be a fool not to take the bike farther out. It was found close to shore.

Yes you lean forward and if you have your shoes fastened into the pedals (with clips or cleats) you can pick up the back wheel by pulling up on the pedals. A bike is a lot lighter than a motorcycle. But it may not matter in Mickey's case because she may not have been riding a fixed gear and it looks like she had a back brake.
I could be wrong but I thought it was established that Mickey's bike is a fixed gear...thought that was released early on. Pretty sure it was released for the purpose of ID'ing her bike if it was spotted or whenever found, tho'...not for sleuthing whatever happened. ;)

OT but motorcyle safety class was fun...we had riders even more novice than moi (they'd never even sat on a bike)...we learned how to ride/yield to oncoming traffic (in a figure-8 pattern) and yes, we even jumped obstacles like 2x4s. Only 1 student tipped their bike over (which is amazing). And I jumped obstacles "on the road"...the whole point of that exercise. ;) We were also trained (but it's common sense) to safely swerve around them, if there's time.

Not to open the truck topic again - but the one with the dark fuel door driving to the left is not the same truck as the Z71 driving to the right. The chrome/dark fuel door truck has been ruled out and we are only seeking the Z71 that followed right behind Mickey. Confusing, but true. :)

That is not how the local media have been covering.

KATC 5/30/2012: "Lafayette police have ruled out two vehicles of interest in Mickey Shunick's disappearance, but detectives still need information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck. Detectives have identified the drivers and passengers in both the older 4-door car and the white 4-door pickup truck with the bed cover. "Investigators have ruled out any involvement by these individuals and they offered no additional clues for the investigation. Investigators continue to seek information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck," said Cpl. Paul Mouton. The Z-71 truck is the first picture of a vehicle Lafayette police released on Friday, May 25. The picture shows a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. The truck and Shunick were captured on surveillance video. A picture of that truck is included in this story."

The Advertiser 5/25/2012: http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120525021. The pic released than is image 3 on my attached photo

The Advertiser 5/26/2012: http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120526004
"Detectives have provided an updated picture of the initial vehicle of interest and the pictures of two additional vehicles that were in the area during the same time frame when Mickey Shunick was last captured on surveillance footage", which is pic 2 on my attached photo.

Image 3 does not appear to have the Z71 detail at the rear panel.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 20
If the bike were found washed up from the Pilot Channel, it makes a simultaneous bike/victim dump viable. Then you start checking on boats that went out of Butte la Rose a day or two later

If the bike were off the Work Canal, she would have been found already, or wasnt put there.

If the bike was dropped by car, the perp could be anywhere.
If the bike was dropped by boat, the perp is almost certainly local.

The reason I'm picking Butte La Rose is that it's the best access point to the Pilot Channel upstream of the WB bridge. You put in at the eastern Whiskey Bay ramp, you can't get there. you put in at the west end, you'd be a fool not to take the bike farther out. It was found close to shore.

So your theory is Mickey was probably put there also?

KATC 5/30/2012: "Lafayette police have ruled out two vehicles of interest in Mickey Shunick's disappearance, but detectives still need information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck. Detectives have identified the drivers and passengers in both the older 4-door car and the white 4-door pickup truck with the bed cover. "Investigators have ruled out any involvement by these individuals and they offered no additional clues for the investigation. Investigators continue to seek information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck," said Cpl. Paul Mouton. The Z-71 truck is the first picture of a vehicle Lafayette police released on Friday, May 25. The picture shows a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. The truck and Shunick were captured on surveillance video. A picture of that truck is included in this story."

The Advertiser 5/25/2012: http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120525021. The pic released than is image 3 on my attached photo

The Advertiser 5/26/2012: http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120526004
"Detectives have provided an updated picture of the initial vehicle of interest and the pictures of two additional vehicles that were in the area during the same time frame when Mickey Shunick was last captured on surveillance footage", which is pic 2 on my attached photo.

The one going in the opposite direction has been ruled out. That's the same truck, that turned left onto University, and seen on another picture traveling on University going past the cemetery, it has been ruled OUT.

Put it this way... if the bike's not found, you've got a perfect crime.

I do believe that in the vast majority of these cases the perp is in a very heightened emotional state, in emotional overdrive, just after committing the crime. I think things appear very different to him at that time than for us when looking back on it rationally and often the actions the perp took at the time aren't that well thought out.

My opinion is that the reason cases usually don't get solved is simply that there are no time machines, and because video is either nonexistent for most places or is of poor quality (both of which are issues in this case).

The Whiskey Bay cams aren't working, it just looks stuck. Wonder if they are back out there and just put the cam on hold.
I'm having a deja vu. In mad catchup mode this morning, peeps were wondering the same thing last nite.

Anyway, it looks like TES was out there searching (Whiskey Bay, not sure zackly where) yesterday.

Yeah - local media here got a little confused about it as well the first couple of days. Now its been ruled out, promise! The 3rd image doesnt have the Z71 decal because it ISNT a Z71 - its a different truck with a bed cover and chrome accessories and has been ruled out. Probably 5 of the 16 threads here earlier were discussing only the trucks haha

I'm having a deja vu. In mad catchup mode this morning, peeps were wondering the same thing last nite.

Anyway, it looks like TES was out there searching (Whiskey Bay, not sure zackly where) yesterday.

Well, I think they are back out there today again, because that cam had been working, now it's at a standstill.

So your theory is Mickey was probably put there also?

That's the theory. If he took the trouble to dump the bike all the way up there by boat, he likely took something else. Easier than digging a hole or dragging a bag through a swamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkipTracer-tg