LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inviting outside contact or alluding to "private" additional information:

“Inviting” is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely. This includes use of the Private Message system via comments such as “Check your PMs” or “PM me” posted in discussion threads. Think about it - it's like whispering into someone's ear while you are at a table full of other people. If you want to have a private conversation just have it, don't announce it. Additionally,please don't drop hints or post on the board that you know something or are privy to inside information but you won't or can't post it.
If you can't post it, don't.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7825556#post7825556"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Let's follow the rules please. :tos:

THIS POST LANDS AT RANDOM.

Just got exact location of bike from someone who saw it:

Hi [chicken fried],

The bike was not found by the boat ramp, it was on the other side of State Route
975. It would be right below where you have Pilot Channel marked on the map.

Basically, when you are on State Route 975, heading toward I-10 from the exit
ramp, you can either turn right or left. If you go right, you end up at the boat
ramp. If you turn left, you are just in a gravel area without any kind of ramp.
It’s on that side where the bike was found and that's the area where all of the
police were working last Sunday.

I was back out there yesterday and got a better look. It's a good 15- to 20-foot
dropoff from the land to where the water is -- very steep and very rocky. It
makes it easier to see why police are not 100 percent sure whether the damage to
the bike came from a hit-and-run or something else. Just my personal opinion,
but it definitely looks possible that a bicycle could get damaged if someone
threw it in that terrain and that distance. But I don't have any other
information or details, that's just a personal observation.
------

Here's the map I sent the source, referenced in the above.

Other side of State Route 975, thanks Chicken, that helps.

Okay, back from the doctor's, let the action begin. Find Mickey.

The sign that the truck is passing on the drivers side, it's a reflection of the sign.
Wouldn't a reflection show as a bright mark rather than dark? What light source do you theorize the reflection that you see if from?

To me it looks like a mark on the car. There could possibly be a mark on the side door as well. At first I thought about a shadow of the light pole -but- isn't the light pointing DOWN? There shouldn't be shadows casting sideways.

I'm wondering if this could be a shot of this truck the SECOND time it was caught on this camera....maybe the driver hit Mickey and then went around the block before going back to pick her up (either accidentally or on purpose...I don't know).

Another random thought...trying to think like a perp....in either case, accident or purposely, the person could have gone around the block and decided that since no one came to assist Mickey, no one saw the truck hit her and he could pretend to be there to help her...put her in the truck under the guise that he would take her either home or to the hospital and drove down the residential streets that don't have cameras....

IMO, JMO, MOO

Never has been too popular a theory, but I still think this might have happened: Someone abducted Mickey, planned or impulse, left the bike (maybe having bumped it as part of the abduction).

Then someone else, unrelated to the abduction, comes along right after and sees an unattended bike, takes it on a whim -- thinks better of that move later, dumps it.

I wonder if picking up the bike only might have been the root underneath the speculation about RM/confession/etc.

I've wondered that. If maybe it was a simple abandoned bicycle theft.

But why would they dump it the same day? No one knew she was missing till Sunday.

I think it's a possibility, though.

Yes, that's the area that wodalo pointed out a few days ago, it looks like a white truck front, with it's lights off following Mickey. It's back there, very difficult to see. AND, if you look in front of Mickey, there is one white blob area that looks just, well, white. Something is being covered up there by those who gave out those photos, my opinion only, because when I bring it close up, every other thing around that area is pixilized, but not that white blob.

Thanks.

I don't see a white truck there though, just an illumination and slowlybutshelley posted a pic pointed in that direction at night and I saw a light that could have resulted in that light up in the top right corner.

ETA: It wasn't shelly, it was notlaw: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7983247&postcount=273"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #11[/ame]

Yes, that's the area that wodalo pointed out a few days ago, it looks like a white truck front, with it's lights off following Mickey. It's back there, very difficult to see. AND, if you look in front of Mickey, there is one white blob area that looks just, well, white. Something is being covered up there by those who gave out those photos, my opinion only, because when I bring it close up, every other thing around that area is pixilized, but not that white blob.

Thank you!!! I know this area well and it ate at me until I went check it out myself. It seems as though it was made to look like it came from a bright light source, but there are none. It's just a metal canopy that covers the school's carpool lane. I took pics. Canopy is not lighted.

Attachments

• 2012-05-26_13-28-37_87.jpg
    2012-05-26_13-28-37_87.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 68
Didn't see your post before I posted basically the same thought. Glad I'm not the only one thinking that scenario.
why would the perp dump the bike near the location of the abducted individual if holding her in a nearby camp? too risky!

Y'all, she nor her bike are under that truck. If you look at the pic just of her, she's in that same spot the truck is in with no sign of the truck. So unless she stood completely still and waited a minute for the truck to come up behind her and run her over, the light or dark spot is not her..... :D

I agree. Weird shadow shough. There is a similar shadow on the road in the pic of Mickey in front of the Circle K, but not it the same place.

Have you taken a look at the Versaille pic? The one with MS on her bike and the seemingly bright area near the center top portion of the photo? It's been bugging me since its release. Would love to know what someone with experience thinks of it...if for no other reason, just to put it to rest.

... and if so, while you're at it, take a look at the dark "figure" that seems to be slightly crouched on the curb-side of the car (end nearest the viewer) parked at the curb, appearing to have an arm out and leaning over the car

I'm in my mid-30s and have always had a mixed group of friends (gender/race/orientation/etc.), and it seems that Shunick and Wilson associate with a similarly diverse group of people, as many younger people do. The idea that women shouldn't go out at night and men are obligated to protect them if they do would probably never occur to them in a million years.

I'm in my late 40's and I would never think of that either. BUT....I would think, "Gee, it would be nice of me to help out a friend who is tired tonight. I think I'll give her a ride home."

All of that being said, BW's accounts of what happened that evening have measured up. The timeline is very tight....and we know Mickey left his home as he stated and within the time window he gave. I imagine if he could do it all over again, he would offer to drive her....but she might have said "no thanks" just the same. Considering this line of thinking for too long might lead to insanity. There will always be "what ifs" in missing persons cases.

Wouldn't a reflection show as a bright mark rather than dark? What light source do you theorize the reflection that you see if from?

To me it looks like a mark on the car. There could possibly be a mark on the side door as well. At first I thought about a shadow of the light pole -but- isn't the light pointing DOWN? There shouldn't be shadows casting sideways.

I'm wondering if this could be a shot of this truck the SECOND time it was caught on this camera....maybe the driver hit Mickey and then went around the block before going back to pick her up (either accidentally or on purpose...I don't know).

Another random thought...trying to think like a perp....in either case, accident or purposely, the person could have gone around the block and decided that since no one came to assist Mickey, no one saw the truck hit her and he could pretend to be there to help her...put her in the truck under the guise that he would take her either home or to the hospital and drove down the residential streets that don't have cameras....

IMO, JMO, MOO

It's really difficult to see from the angle that we are viewing it, but, even the sign looks almost sideways just a little, and if the light source is coming from above, and hits that sign just right, it's going to cast a shadow there on the side of the truck. JMO

I notice that a lot of people online seem to be suggesting that Brettly Wilson must have had some sort of romantic interest in Shunick, and that Shunick must have been trying to blow him off, but that narrative doesn't seem to fit any of the evidence presented.

It's most likely that neither of them had any romantic interest in the other (I've yet to see any claims to the contrary), and quite possible that either one or both has no interest in a person of the other gender at all. Wilson states that he met Shunick when he dated a friend of hers, but is there any evidence that this friend is even a woman?

My post wasn't intended to insinuate that BW had "a thing" for MS, but rather, that MS simply didn't feel like hanging with him anymore on that particular occasion.

I have a daughter (a pretty, sweet, free-spirited 21-year old college student who rides a fixie...yeah) who has an under-sized male friend. Strictly platonic thing, to be sure. And sometimes, she just doesn't feel like hanging out with the guy (he can be a bit emo at times). But yet, she loves him as a friend, and would never want to hurt his feelings. Thus my thoughts on that situation with BW/MS.

Anyway, I guess certain elements of the BW/MS thing seems strangely familiar to me.

I too think the bike may have been chunked in the water and then the truck/vehicle continued east on I-10. I don't think this was a drunk hit and run. I think it is an abduction, and the vehicle could be in MS, AL or FL easily. If I'm wrong, my second theory is Hideabody Swamp. I hate hate hate that option for this lovely young girl.

@mahmoo and mamamia

How do they get to those routes FROM st. Landry withought being caught on one single camera? Theyre on video somewhere.
If we assume the truck is involved, the driver apparently did manage to avoid camera detection after the Univ/St. Landry photo ... as far as we know at this point anyway.

He may of somehow managed to get over onto Pinhook and then onto Carmel Drive. People/business's in those areas may have not thought to check cameras on the belief she (or perp) was not traveling in those areas.

Possible route ... Brashear to Lee (crossover University - no cameras at that intersection???), right onto Jefferson head towards Pinhook.

That white blob would be covering the parallel parking area of Cathedral Carmel School along the side, and looks to be the right approximate size of a vehicle. Could there be a vehicle that was just sitting there that has been photoshopped out?

I notice that a lot of people online seem to be suggesting that Brettly Wilson must have had some sort of romantic interest in Shunick, and that Shunick must have been trying to blow him off, but that narrative doesn't seem to fit any of the evidence presented.

It's most likely that neither of them had any romantic interest in the other (I've yet to see any claims to the contrary), and quite possible that either one or both has no interest in a person of the other gender at all. Wilson states that he met Shunick when he dated a friend of hers, but is there any evidence that this friend is even a woman?

Yes, it was a woman.

I always thought something had been edited out of the picture. Looks like a vehicle shape. That spot is a wide driveway that a car could pull off and park sideways.

Personally, I thought there had been a police cruiser sitting there at the time. Don't ask me why.

I'm sick that we still don't have any answers to this. Where are you, Mickey?

I am worried this case is going to slowly fade away from national attention, searches will dwindle, it will go cold, and we'll never find Mickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87