LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>

I do gobs of photo editing. In photoshop, I used the dodge tool set to 100% on the midtones of the shadow under the truck. Dodging the shadows made a big difference and it is apparent (even showing a portion of a circle that looks like a bike wheel) that something is under the truck. I don't know how to upload an image on here or I'd share!
Choose "post advanced" and then use the paperclip :)

I try to keep them to 640px width or less.

What ifs usually get us nowhere, but here goes:

What if she stopped where she was(many said it appears her foot is on ground) to look at her phone... Check for a text, time, text someone herself, etc. She drops her phone and leans to her right to pick it up just as truck comes. It is feasible in my mind that if it is her and her bike in the picture this type of scenario could've put her there.

A lot of Cajun people appear to be of Spanish descent.

Well of course they are. Louisiana was under French and Spanish rule (not sure which came first). The first Acadian settlers were from Canada!

Why is TES saying goodbye? $$$$? How could $$$ have anything to do with finding MS? grrrrrh

TES is a non profit organization, they are not paid by the local LE....they have only a certain amount of funds for fuel for their vehicles, boarding for horses, food for their staff, hotel rooms, repairs of flat tires or engines etc.

They usually stay until they feel they have thoroughly covered the probable areas, or until a volunteer force is organized and experienced enough to carry on. OR until LE suggests they no longer need to be there.

jmo

Hi! First post! I'm a local and walk in the st. streets area just about every day. I've participated in one search day and plan to go tomorrow now that I'm off work.

It looks to me like the truck picture does show her getting run over. The darkest shadow by the wheel should be directly underneath it where it's making contact with the ground. That's not the case. The shadow under the front passenger wheel actually has a ring of light around it before the shadow gets dark indicating it's not making direct contact with the ground. If she had her tire turned, do you think she would fall sideways instead of being projected forward? I do. If so, and she got knocked over, then it seems feasible that she could have hit the ground first (possibly her backpack first, making even less noise), then her bike on top of her. If the bike was on top of her, then it seems it would have a better chance of getting caught in the undercarriage. If her backpack was on her, it also could have provided something of a cushion for her. If the funeral home does have video, then it may not even show anything amiss because she'd be part of the dark shadow under the truck. I think that would depend on the angle of the camera. I don't know anything about getting run over by a bike so I'm wondering - is it possible that she could have been dragged a little ways and survived? It seems possible in my mind, but I'm not sure if that's just because I want her to be alive so badly.

I do gobs of photo editing. In photoshop, I used the dodge tool set to 100% on the midtones of the shadow under the truck. Dodging the shadows made a big difference and it is apparent (even showing a portion of a circle that looks like a bike wheel) that something is under the truck. I don't know how to upload an image on here or I'd share!

If you figure it out, can you post it? I would really like to see it

There are NO cams at MCFH
aaah. If there are no interior cam's at MC, maybe there are interior cam's at the OBGYN docs office on the corner of ST landry and St mary across from the imaging center (opposite corner of st landry and st mary). The cam was probably inside medical offices; makes sense, I cannot imagine everyone wanting a video of open casket funerals at M&CFH.

If this is the case, there is a delivery entrance at imaging center that needs to be reviewed (opposite corner from st landry on st mary) AND there is a back alley on the other side of that that needs to have serious foot soldiers (A.C.I?) before the PJ's coffeeshop to the right. and those dumpsters need to be checked. I wouldn't park there in daytime, more less ride my bike in that vicinity at 2 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzimmer
Or she was not going home.
Great point!

~~~ I have always wondered this. Not "feeling well" and wanting to leave early, the late night call, and probable text. I think she was going to see a "friend".

LA

are you referring to a "booty call" (for lack of a better term)...b/c I think that is a HIGH possibility w/ the hour it was and the "excuses" she made. You would think the LE had already thought of this right away though....let's hope!

BBM nothing I've read (or seen) has given me the sense she would prefer riding on the sidewalk. Why do you think she would?

Also, I read somewhere (I'd have to search to find it again) that Johnston had some bike lanes (possibly new since you lived in that area) though from what I gathered they were less than optimal. They certainly don't show in google street view and, as you said, it doesn't look like a street I'd want to bike on.

The only mention of MS potentially riding on sidewalks is when BW said that if she'd taken W. Congress down to her Bonaire neighborhood she would have ridden on the sidewalk against the grain of traffic.

Has there been any confirmation about the FBI's BAU (Behavorial Analysis Unit) being involved in the case? You would hope that if they are indeed involved that they could work up some type of profile and cross-reference that against trucks fitting VOI type registered to people in south Louisiana. I live here and I honestly have seen lots of four door white GM pickups, but haven't noticed one Z-71 white four door pickups. Surely that distinction should make it a bit easier.

I, for one, believe this person had moderate to advanced knowledge of the area.
This may have already been discussed, but I could have sworn I read the BAU reps were in town. That was a week ago, so maybe not.

how would she text while riding a bike?! I'm sure you could pull it off, but it'd be easier to swing by the place then try to text and ride or stop completely to text...?! Especially at 2a.m. Just a thought :)

That "swing by the place" would have taken here significantly out of her way. She would have felt stupid and tired if they weren't there. ALL young folks now call or text ahead. She would not have just gone there, only to find them gone. I won't believe that.

Why is TES saying goodbye? $$$$? How could $$$ have anything to do with finding MS? grrrrrh

No, they are going to Mississippi to work on another case, maybe one that is in earlier stages than MS's was when they arrived.

I spoke with one of my best friends who works for mcfh. They don't have cams.

Your friend could be right but Schmitty way back in Thread 3 said "I don't recall seeing any discussion about a cam at Martin and Castille Funeral Home (330 St Landry, facing St Landry, on the corner of St Mary) but they definitely do have security cams all over that building."

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7970459&postcount=113"]http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7970459&postcount=113[/ame]

Originally Posted by wodalo View Post
http://i45.tinypic.com/rjfkmb.gif

with text
http://i47.tinypic.com/efqirr.gif

it is harder to tell by just looking at it... but how i look at them is another way entirely and less visual and cant post it or you wouldn't understand what you were looking at...

it is her

Bringing this over for newcomers.
In Wodalo's opinion.

At first glance, I was 100% certain this was Mickey (or at least her bike) on the ground, getting run over by a truck ....

But I'm looking again, and although I do see a big mass, I'll call it, under the wheels of the truck, I also see the same mass on the ground in the photo of Mickey on her bike.... so perhaps there was something in the road that the truck ran over, and it's not Mickey.

Anybody else seeing what I'm seeing?

It is not about money.

TES has alot of resources it uses and they are asked to be involved in numerous cases but they must utilize the resources they have the best way they can.

They are going to another case in MS.

Here is a link to their site and you will note that MS is still there.

http://texasequusearch.org/

I don't know how Mickey usually biked in Lafayette but as an experienced cyclist I "take the lane" when I'm riding in my city.

~~ As we all do. It's how I was hit at 13, not saying this is what happened to her just my thoughts.

LA

I also put this link on the MSM links/Timeline thread (link to it is on first post of this one) so if anyone wants to view it and can't remember where it was, it's on that one too.

I don't think I'll ever watch that again. It hurt my heart.

Maybe Mickey just told BW that she was hungover because she was going to be out all night? Drank water to meet up with someone later and needed to feel well for the grad ceremony the next day?

What ifs usually get us nowhere, but here goes:

What if she stopped where she was(many said it appears her foot is on ground) to look at her phone... Check for a text, time, text someone herself, etc. She drops her phone and leans to her right to pick it up just as truck comes. It is feasible in my mind that if it is her and her bike in the picture this type of scenario could've put her there.

That occurred to me but I dismissed it. She wasn't far from the corner. She'd have to be crazy to stop and text in the middle of the lane. I mean, some of the texters I've seen have been pretty oblivious, but stopping in the lane, near a corner someone could tear around to hit her from behind? MS is smarter than that. That would maybe become the dumbest texting death yet, if true.

Hi! First post! I'm a local and walk in the st. streets area just about every day. I've participated in one search day and plan to go tomorrow now that I'm off work.

It looks to me like the truck picture does show her getting run over. The darkest shadow by the wheel should be directly underneath it where it's making contact with the ground. That's not the case. The shadow under the front passenger wheel actually has a ring of light around it before the shadow gets dark indicating it's not making direct contact with the ground. If she had her tire turned, do you think she would fall sideways instead of being projected forward? I do. If so, and she got knocked over, then it seems feasible that she could have hit the ground first (possibly her backpack first, making even less noise), then her bike on top of her. If the bike was on top of her, then it seems it would have a better chance of getting caught in the undercarriage. If her backpack was on her, it also could have provided something of a cushion for her. If the funeral home does have video, then it may not even show anything amiss because she'd be part of the dark shadow under the truck. I think that would depend on the angle of the camera. I don't know anything about getting run over by a bike so I'm wondering - is it possible that she could have been dragged a little ways and survived? It seems possible in my mind, but I'm not sure if that's just because I want her to be alive so badly.

Keep in mind these were still shots extracted from video. LE would know if she had been run over. It would have been stated that a hit-and-run had taken pace, and the type of damage the bike sustained would not be in question. Why are we still looking at these truck photos???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro