LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-smartphones arent constantly transmitting data and signals to towers like smart phones do. They basically only do when receiving/sending a call, text message or whatever or if pinged. Thats why those are a **** to trace....and why someone doesnt have a smart phone in 2012 is beyond me *shrugs*

Well I don't...and I often forget my phone when I leave my house, so you really wouldn't get...lol
Just not "hung up" on cell phones, don't go all that far from home, and I don't mind being out of touch when I do go out. But I know I am far from average in this.

A.C.I. - then you're not looking for Mickey on the Sterling 700 St.L cam then... only the truck?

Because she's not on the 216 footage, apparently?

IIRC, cell phones are always pinging, even when turned off, so that when you receive a call or a text, the communication knows where to find your phone. It's my understanding that you have to remove the battery to cease the pings. When I go to church, I turn my phone off. After church, when I turn my phone back on, I oftentimes have new text messages or voice mails, received during church. I believe that this necessitates pinging. I could have the terminology wrong, but you know what I mean.

I could be wrong, so I hope that this does not derail the thread.

As a generalization, when a perp murders a complete stranger, the body is found in a relatively short period of time since the perp often takes no special care in the disposal of the body.

It is often when the perp is an acquaintance or family member that the body is hidden. In Mickey's case, I am leaning toward acquaintance.

jmo

I think the exceptions to the usual case of finding bodies quickly if a stranger is involved might be a: a serial killer and b:when someone is taken in a public spot and they have to remove them to do whatever it is they planned to do. Either might apply in this case, IMO.

No cell phones CAN be tracked contrary to popular belief but the phone must have the battery in it and it cannot be damaged. They do NOT have to be smart phones.

They have their ways.....

So you are correct.

You sound like you know more than me on the matter, so I'll go with what you say.

With all due respect those are NOT his words as they are not in quotes in that article.

Well I didn't realize they weren't quoted but I put the link up there for people to see but it still comes down to the truck is believed to be a Z-71. Not definitely.

Ok I think I'm clear on that now. So there's a small chance that non smart phones can get tracked IF they are on, but if they're off then there's no luck. That's not common sense to me. I figured all phones could get tracked. I wonder if whoever has her knew that.... there's just so many questions.

Also I keep my phone in my pocket even when I'm wearing skinny jeans. I know at least 3 people that keep there phones in their bras lol. I'm too paranoid for that. I bet Mickey had hers in her bag though but then that would mean whoever took her had the time to look for her phone in her purse. So maybe it was in her pocket... idk. I'm hoping for answers and good news soon.

When a non-smart-phone is off, it's not transmitting signals because it's not powered up, I'm pretty sure. The tower doesn't know it's there. that's why calls go straight to voicemail... it's held at the cell company until the phone is turned on , then the phone waves to the tower, "I'm here," and downloads the messages.

No cell phones CAN be tracked contrary to popular belief but the phone must have the battery in it and it cannot be damaged. They do NOT have to be smart phones.

They have their ways.....

So you are correct.

I stand corrected it seems. I wonder how old the phone has to be so as not to be pingable? I thought someone said 1994 the other night.

You can't ping a brick, you know.

A.C.I. - then you're not looking for Mickey on the Sterling 700 St.L cam then... only the truck?

Because she's not on the 216 footage, apparently?

Right. I want to see if the truck passes.

But if I do see her as well, all the better. We'd know she made it further down St. Landry and that LE lied about her not being on the 216 cam.

My husband had the same type of phone she did and I do know that it had GPS on it. It could be turned off so no one else could find you but 911 still could. I don't know how this would work if the phone was turned off or damaged though.

Correct. Its a very small black infrared camera (for nightvision) mounted in the front. Took me a while to find it too. Its pretty discreet

Very. Now that it's not a law office, who is in that building at 216?

You sound like you know more than me on the matter, so I'll go with what you say. All I know is the software I have access to charges me a about 100 bucks per ping, so its not something I really mess around with for experiments. I just know when Ive done it on powered off non-smart phones it fails. Powered off smart phones works. But like I said, I dont mess with it often. I track people the good old fashioned way and use that as a last resort. Plus Im sure LE and FBI have far better software than I do.

Powered-off anything shouldn't work. There would be no signal to track. Powered-on would work. It's my understanding that's what LE has been saying since the beginning: her phone's powered off, so they cannot track it.

so then that means its possible that the battery in Mickey's phone was not in it? If it was dumped in the water WITH the battery still in it, it would still be able to get traced?

IIRC, cell phones are always pinging, even when turned off, so that when you receive a call or a text, the communication knows where to find your phone. It's my understanding that you have to remove the battery to cease the pings. When I go to church, I turn my phone off. After church, when I turn my phone back on, I oftentimes have new text messages or voice mails, received during church. I believe that this necessitates pinging. I could have the terminology wrong, but you know what I mean.

I could be wrong, so I hope that this does not derail the thread.

As a generalization, when a perp murders a complete stranger, the body is found in a relatively short period of time since the perp often takes no special care in the disposal of the body.

It is often when the perp is an acquaintance or family member that the body is hidden. In Mickey's case, I am leaning toward acquaintance.

jmo

Statistics say that that most abductions are caused by someone the victim knows.

Now what I wonder is if this person attends the same university as Mickey. And, if so, I wonder if LE has canvassed the university to see who might own a white truck that they are looking for.

Another thing I wonder is if Mickey had talked to anyone at Atmosphere that night. I'd be curious to know what her friends may have said about that night. And I do wonder if there was any patrons in Atmosphere that night who may have owned a white truck that they are looking for.

Rumors indicate police thought she might be heading toward Johnston St. Some are saying that was her normal route home. Johnston, then a right at the coloseum.

She is riding down the middle of the lane. She could be working her way to turn left on Brashear.

What street did chicken say the security guard at the old lourdes hospital said she normally took to get to Johnston? It wasn't Brashear

Well I don't...and I often forget my phone when I leave my house, so you really wouldn't get...lol
Just not "hung up" on cell phones, don't go all that far from home, and I don't mind being out of touch when I do go out. But I know I am far from average in this.

I don't have one either, nor do I use the phone I have. There's just hubby and me and we really don't have a need for a cell phone except for emergency purposes.

So then which way did she turn? Had to have made a left, unless we aren't privy to the cam footage with Mickey on it. She would have had to make a left on Brashear.

Now we're back to her being spooked again. If she's already been passed by a truck, and it's coming up behind her, the pic of her may be her just before she goes to make a left on Brashear.

A.C.I.'s theory.

Or.... for some reason that night she chose to avoid a section of St. Landry.

A.C.I., I don't know if you saw, but I talked to a guard at Lourdes earlier who saw Mickey often, and the guard volunteered without being asked that Mickey's route was St. Landry, left on St. Julien, right on Johnston, and right on Cajundome.

What street did chicken say the security guard at the old lourdes hospital said she normally took to get to Johnston? It wasn't Brashear

St. Julien, I think. That is the only way the security guard at Lourdes would see her. Could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member