LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Mickey is 22? It is also stated that she is a Senior majoring in Anthropology. By saying she is a senior, do you think they meant she just completed the first semester of her senior year (will graduate at end of summer or in December '12)? If she just completed her senior year she would had or would be graduating this month??

In a radio interview with Chris Reed at 107.9, Charlie said Mickey would have graduated in December '12. She had one semester left as a senior Anthropology major.

New here and trying to absorb all this, so feel free to fill me in where I'm wrong. BW and MS leave a bar, MS saying she doesn't feel good, is tired and hungry. If I read it somewhere I don't remember but I assume that was relatively late. They go back to BW's house, get in his car, go to Taco Bell, go back to BW's house, eat, MS leaves on her bike at 2 am. I've never been to Lafayette so I certainly don't know the area and there may be more than one Taco Bell, but on the map someone posted regarding the likely route, I saw a Taco Bell at about the halfway point to MS's home. The thing that just doesn't make sense to me is if MS is sick, tired and hungry and the Taco Bell is already halfway home, wouldn't it seem more likely that she would have just gotten the food and gone home to eat since she's sick and tired and heck, already half way there. Obviously, it doesn't mean they didn't go back to his house after Taco Bell, it just doesn't make sense when you're almost already at her front door step anyways.

All of the Taco Bells in Lafayette close their dining rooms way before the drive through, and you can't go through a drive through on a bike. Her house is a still a couple of miles from the Taco Bell that's on her way home.

Please delete this if it's in the wrong place but I'm new to this forum and am wondering if there is a place where I can read up on abbreviations. I know names and things like that are easy to spot after reading through the forums but things like MSM and LDT I just can't seem to figure out. :banghead:

Please delete this if it's in the wrong place but I'm new to this forum and am wondering if there is a place where I can read up on abbreviations. I know names and things like that are easy to spot after reading through the forums but things like MSM and LDT I just can't seem to figure out. :banghead:

Lol yes and what is MOO??

Here is a link to the acronyms used on websleths. Hope this helps.

In the mean time, here are the ones you specifically mentioned:

MSM - Main Stream Media
LDT - Lie Detector Test

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116963"]NEW Websleuths Lingo - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

New here and trying to absorb all this, so feel free to fill me in where I'm wrong. BW and MS leave a bar, MS saying she doesn't feel good, is tired and hungry. If I read it somewhere I don't remember but I assume that was relatively late. They go back to BW's house, get in his car, go to Taco Bell, go back to BW's house, eat, MS leaves on her bike at 2 am. I've never been to Lafayette so I certainly don't know the area and there may be more than one Taco Bell, but on the map someone posted regarding the likely route, I saw a Taco Bell at about the halfway point to MS's home. The thing that just doesn't make sense to me is if MS is sick, tired and hungry and the Taco Bell is already halfway home, wouldn't it seem more likely that she would have just gotten the food and gone home to eat since she's sick and tired and heck, already half way there. Obviously, it doesn't mean they didn't go back to his house after Taco Bell, it just doesn't make sense when you're almost already at her front door step anyways.

:welcome: reedus23 to WS! I agree with your logic!

I've been keeping up with this forumn since the beggining and noticed that no one really brought up the possibility of her seeing a friend at "his" own house, going to talk to them for a few short minutes and "him" snatching her and putting her bike in their garage. I hate to even think or type these words, but it would be reasonable as to why no one would have saw her get kidnapped. This is, assuming she went through residential neighborhoods.

I agree, Nolita. The thought had passed my mind. I had a friend in grad school who would go hook up with the same guy some nights after going out. We (her friends) disapproved of the guy and felt he was using her (and we'd have to listen to her complain about how he ignored her until he wanted to hook up again), so she often would leave a party or bar saying she was headed home and she'd tell us later she had gone to be with the guy (she didn't want us to try to talk her out of it or give her grief for it when she was planning to go see him). I wonder if Mickey made any plans to meet up with someone later that night without her friends knowing. Maybe her phone records could tell us?

The link just brought me the main news page. Was it the story about LPD?

*Edited to remove copy/paste of article.

In short, 5 Lafayette Police officers have filed a lawsuit and restraining order against Chief Craft and several others in the local administration for misleading the public with crime stats.

I know this doesn't directly relate to the case of MS but with these allegations and tensions unfolding this week within the PD, it has to have an effect on all officers and cases.

I have thought the same thing. Why not just put the bike in the back seat (if it would fit) or just hit it up on the way home? I think it's irrelevant but still makes me curious.

The shooting was in the bar parking lot, not on a dead end gravel road.

All of the Taco Bells in Lafayette close their dining rooms way before the drive through, and you can't go through a drive through on a bike. Her house is a still a couple of miles from the Taco Bell that's on her way home.

But she was already in a car, and very close to her home. If she was so sick and tired, why not just get dropped off at home? Surely she could get her bike in the morning.

It just kind of niggles at me. Especially since there have been no reports of anyone seeing her on her bike riding home that night.

I will be there as well if one is started. I don't have a scanner, but I listen online.

I'm going to use the breaking news one until we decide if we need a dedicated one...

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171995"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I understand that and that's why they took his car. All I'm saying is if they're in his car going through a drive through that is already halfway to her house and if she's that tired and sick, why wouldn't the plan have been to just take her home from there instead of backtracking. Between its late, she's sick/tired, Taco Bell is halfway home and you're in a car instead of riding a bike, it just seems like most would say "Hey, let's run through Taco Bell and take me home since it's on the way and I'm tired." It's just something about his version that just doesn't make sense to me but then again a lot of things in life don't make sense to me.

For everyone wondering about the taco bell trip and why she wasn't dropped off at home afterwards instead...
I think that they went to another taco bell (on campus) that was not that far from BW's house, and in a different direction from her house.

But still a very good question: Why didn't he just bring her home and grab something to eat on the way if she was so sick and tired?

•Her sister told Chris Reed yesterday that it wasn't uncommon for her to leave alone at that time of the morning. http://1079ishot.com/mickey-shunick-sister-charlie-pleads-for-help-video/
•I'm local and the absolute lack of anything from LE is so concerning. They are not trying to reassure the citizens that we are safe. The most we've heard from them is the # for tip line and that they are pursuing all leads.
•In the original thread it was asked of crimes were downplayed to keep the rates down and I believe it is since the influx of people arriving here post Katrina.
•The traffic along these back streets (like the Saints streets area and side roads around Congress) may have been heavier than usual during the time MS left because there was a police DUI checkpoint being conducted on
Johnston St. very close to the Johnston/Congress intersection.
• I don't understand how not one single person has seen her.

Thank you, it is great to have another confirmation that Mickey's sister did not disagree with her parents and friends' statement that it was not unusual for her to ride alone at night.

2:30 p.m. — Police Chief Jim Craft says there is so far no reason to believe Brettly Wilson had anything to do with the disappearance of his friend, 22-year-old Mickey Shunick.

Craft confirmed Thurday that Wilson was given a polygraph test, but he said he could not reveal the results of that test.

“Polygraphs are part of many investigations,” Craft said, “but we’re not going to release any information along those lines that could maybe hamper our investigative efforts.”

Craft also revealed the existence of video footage from the Taco Bell Wilson told investigators he and Shunick went to the morning she disappeared. In that video, Craft said you can see Wilson, but you can’t see his passenger.

“But we know [Shunick] was there because she told a friend on a phone call she was there, and her ATM [card] was used there,” Craft said. “And you can see him turning in the vehicle, so he’s talking to someone.”

Craft also said they have picked up several items of potential evidence, but so far, none of those seems to be connected to the case. He also confirmed that her cell phone was turned off and that police are not able to get any information about her location using that avenue.

“It’s the type of cell phone that, when you cut it off, you can’t ping it,” Craft said.

Wilson was the last person to see Shunick.

http://kpel965.com/latest-information-search-for-mickey-shunick-continues/

Nice to know that LE isn't looking at BW as a person of interest.

I've been noticing that Chief Craft says "when you cut it off" when he talks about the phone.....does that mean they think it was deliberately switched off? IOW: does that differentiate between the phone going dead and being physically switched off?

I have to wonder just HOW safety conscious the college-age crowd is :waitasec:. We were out looking around on Coliseum Rd. yesterday and in the large stretch of field/coulee that borders it. Before we left the area, we decided to go into my daughter's sorority house to use the bathroom. There was someone at the house when we first got there but they had already left prior to us returning. There is a keypad to enter a security code to access the bldg BUT, daughter didn't need to enter the code because the last person to leave the building had not closed the door securely to where it was locked and the door pushed right open. Needless to say, it alarmed me especially knowing Mickey was missing and may have been very, very near that particular area.

mahmoo, YIKES! A coed missing, and the girls still aren't being careful!!

BTW, are you the same mahmoo I remember from the Court TV boards, during the search for Derrik Todd Lee?

[
The link just brought me the main news page. Was it the story about LPD?

Lafayette PD Uncovered
1:26 PM
A restraining order filed by five officers with the Lafayette Police Department against Chief Jim Craft and Chief Administrative Officer of the Durel administration Dee Stanley has been signed by District Judge Kristian Earles. As proof they point to secretly recorded tapes obtained by Eyewtness News. Tapes the officers contend will help shed some light on how crime stats were allegedly manipulated to reflect a safer Lafayette.

RESPECTIFULLY SNIPPED.

KAT,

You may want to edit your post. It is against copyright laws to copy and paste the story in it's entirety. Just put a few sentences and then provide the link.

BTW - Welcome!

Someone will give you the link! But just quickly"

MSM: main stream media (respected news sources, not blogs, etc.)

LDT: lie detector test

moo: my own opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads