LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From NG (might not be accurate info):

Mickey last seen riding on her bike past Taco Bell while clutching her can of mace.

I don't think she meant it that way. She said it for drama but then explained she went to Taco Bell and then rode off with mace in hand.

From NG (might not be accurate info):

Mickey last seen riding on her bike past Taco Bell while clutching her can of mace.

BBM.
Any bicyclists here, who can say whether or not that would be SOP when riding through a shady area?

The Blaze.com reporter says:
The location is rural and I10 goes all the way to California. Mickey could have been snatched and now be far away.

NG:
This is a drug mule thoroughfare. Her ATM used at Taco Bell. Should have been an 11 minute ride to her parent's home where she lived. Video at Taco Bell shows her driving
through there that evening as BW said.

Every morning at 10:30 hundreds of people have gone at searching for her.

Lafayette Police Chief says:
Reported missing 6:00 pm the next evening. Bulletins went out and police started searching. Sunday morning an investigator was put on the case. Sunday noon a full investigative team/ the entire team started doing grid searches and using volunteers.

Monday a tip line was set up with 100s of leads. They have conducted interviews and searches with different teams to get different eyes looking at the same area.

Mickey's father:
He backed out of his driveway at 2:30am on Sat. morning because he had a business call and had to go to an oil rig (for his occupation). The next morning he got emails and was flown back into town from the rig. The mom had tried to call Mickey's phone but it went straight to email. After the grad. ceremony around 5 pm they called the police.

NG:
Advises that BW was interrogated for 16 hours, cooperated fully with LE, and has searched for Mickey.

BW:
After Taco Bell, went back to his home. She ate. A friend got in contact with him. His phone died. The friend called Mickey then. Mickey told friend she didn't want to go to the diner with other friends. She was ready to go home and go to sleep. She checked her bike, took out her mace, went out the back door, was watched until she went to end of driveway.

NG:
Her ATM was used at Taco Bell confirming (along with the camera) that she was there in the early am.

BW:
Mickey's home was about 3.4-4.5 miles from Taco Bell. The ride should have taken 15-25 minutes at the most for Mickey to arrive home.

Police Chief states:
There was a surveillance tape from some business showing someone riding on a bike. The tape was poor quality and the time was off . It was narrowed down to being an hour "off".

It is within the hour she went missing though. The video taken was between BW's home and Mickey's home. There are other bicyclers at 1:30 am in that area. It is a large student population.

I guess I'm too young to have really been hugely impacted by Derrick Todd Lee. I vaguely remember hearing bits and pieces in high school, but it's only been in the past few days that I've noticed his name come up a lot in relation to hypotheses about what could have happened to MS. Lafayette just feels like a safe, neighborly place. I lived in town for 4 years while I went to UL and never once really felt alarmed, and my wanderings definitely weren't limited to campus or well-lit areas. That said, of course something like this could happen anywhere.

You are very fortunate to have been too young to have been impacted by DTL. We lived in terror for a long long time.One of his victims was sister in law of my DH's secretary.

Marc Klaas:
The investigation seems to be well run. Her sister asked people to stop spreading rumors on Facebook and call police with real tips. He asks residents and realtors to check their property.

NG:
None of her items have been recovered (wallet, cellphone, mace, backpack, and her bike).

Police chief:
Her phone was last used at 1:30 am when the friend called to see if she wanted to go to the diner with them. They tried to ping her phone and it won't ping because it was turned off. This model won't ping when it is off.

Mickey's dad and BW:
Mickey usually kept her cellphone on at all times.

BW:
She also received a text message that night.

You are very fortunate to have been too young to have been impacted by DTL. We lived in terror for a long long time.One of his victims was sister in law of my DH's secretary.

That's awful :( I know a lot of my female friends in Lafayette are being very, very careful right now.

Marc Klaas:
The investigation seems to be well run. Her sister asked people to stop spreading rumors on Facebook and call police with real tips. He asks residents and realtors to check their property.

Good idea on checking the property. Not long ago we had two runaways living in an empty house 2 doors down. They broke in and trashed the place.

Not saying I think Mickey would do that, but some creep could have had his own special place!

Trying to cath up on the thread. There's been a lot of post since I was last able to read while at work this morning.

I have a question, though. I'm watching the re-run of Nancy and they were just talking about how Mickey received a phone call and text at around 1:30 am, so obviously her phone gets turned off at some point. I'm thinking that records should indicate an exact time that it was turned off, is this an accurate guess? Also, hypothetically speaking, lets say someone completely destroyed the cell phone by crushing it or throwing it into water - would that immediately turn it off in the sense of it being pinged?

NG:
Bashes guest lawyer Peter when he suggested there might not be foul play. Maybe she fell in a ravine.

Alex the attorney: Chief said there was a lot of other bicycle riders at 1:30 am. Check with other riders.

Police chief:
There is a large scale search on campus for her bike. Civilian volunteers have been great. LE is checking local pawn shops/second-hand dealer/Craig's List/and etc..

Mickey's dad:
Begs anyone who might have found her bike to step forward if they found it.

BW:
Everything is different now. We would like to have a return to normality. (a direct quote from BW)

That's awful :( I know a lot of my female friends in Lafayette are being very, very careful right now.

Better to be safe than sorry. I would recommend a self defense class to anyone, whether you live in a bad area or not. You can't imagine what you are taught to do in different circumstances and the instructors do not baby the students. This incident makes me want to get mace again, and I'm in Baton Rouge.

Has it been mentioned whether Mickey worked part-time while going to school?

I don't think that BW had anything to do with the disappearance of MS. I suspect that one or two men grabbed her and put her and maybe her bike too into a van or truck and got on the expressway and got out of town as quickly as they could. Someone had to have grabbed the hand that held her mace and stopped her from using it. Also, would have had to be fast, maybe sneak up behind and cover her mouth, to keep people from hearing her screaming for help. Maybe someone in a van or truck pulled in front of her suddenly to stop her and then jumped out and grabbed her and put her inside the vehicle. IF the bike was left behind, someone may have stolen it and now be afraid to come forward and admit they fould a bike and took it home and kept it. But the bike would have fit in a van or a pickup truck with a topper. I suspect someone had taken her far out of town and then done who knows what with her. I don't believe she left voluntarily.

I REALLY hate to say this but as the days wear on with no new information it really makes me believe that this case is not going to be resolved anytime soon. I honestly feel like investigators and LE are grasping at straws. After hearing the Chief of LPD speak on NG, I'm certain that they have no more than they are telling. I can't help but think that this very well may be the case of human trafficking - which in my mind leads to a planned abduction; however, not necessarily an abduction aimed specifically at Mickey. I guess what I'm saying is that the horrible people who abduct women for human trafficking have an intent to abduct, but as far as I know they don't necessarily stalk the victim. It is, in some respect, a crime of opportunity, yet they are "smart" and quick.

I think only a miracle from the good lord above will bring her home, and I certainly believe in miracles.

I have been to Lafayette, as I do have family there, and I know just how close and easy it is to access I-10 and I find it very plausible that she and whoever has taken her are long gone. I still wonder if border patrol has been contacted.

IMO...I feel it is someone she was around, or who was watching her the night prior. There is more to the story.

First, the Percy Rd post was nothing, I think it turned out to be a brush fire or something? Sorry for posting without knowing more of the details.

Next, I think the locals on the board remember the woman from the Port Barre area that "vanished", and the boyfriend was all over the news pleading for her to come home, and turns out he killed her. If BW isn't a suspect and passed all the LDT, then why haven't the police cleared yet? Craft had his chance to clear BW on national tv, but he didn't and as far as I know he hasn't been cleared of anything, nor has he been charged with anything. I'm just saying that, the news reported that BW took a ldt and that was it. If the guy passed the ldt then I would think the local news would report that he passed and is no longer a POI? When that happens I'm sure quite a few people will not think he is hiding something, until then I believe in my heart there is something that doesn't add up with his story. Furthermore, can't the police look at BW movements after MS left his house by looking at cell phone records? I would think that might be a way to rule him in or out as well. If he was up all night and traveling to random areas at odd times or if he was home and his movements match what he is telling police?"

The closest Craft has come to clearing BW: "2:30 p.m. — Police Chief Jim Craft says there is so far no reason to believe Brettly Wilson had anything to do with the disappearance of his friend, 22-year-old Mickey Shunick. "
http://kpel965.com/latest-information-search-for-mickey-shunick-continues/

BW has also stated that while on a call with a friend at Taco Bell with MS, his cell phone died. The friend then called MS's cell and that's when the conversation about her not wanting to join the friend at a diner took place.

just a whisper....Did anyone's hackles go up when Mr. S said he backed out of his driveway at about 2:30AM Sat. morning? Then he flew home Sat. night. :waitasec:

Forgive me. When you work on a rig can't you schedule a day off for your son's graduation from high school? :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem