LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this article while searching to see if Mickey has a Twitter account. I found Charlie does have Twitter, but so far I haven't found one for Mickey.

Social media connects community, aids police in Shunick search
11:00 PM, May 30, 2012

"Just sticking to factual information is definitely going to help get Mickey home," Moore said during a phone interview Tuesday. "In a town like Lafayette, this is scary and doesn't make sense. People are using it as a way to cope too."

In addition to Facebook and Twitter, online message boards like those on TigerDroppings.com and WebSleuths.com have attracted hundreds of users who theorize about Shunick's disappearance, share grief and plan ways to help find the missing UL student.

(bbm)

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...connects-community-aids-police-Shunick-search

I told Charlie about WebSleuths, but she may have already known beforehand.

I think you shoul go take a picture of it before you call it in. And post it or send it to me ;). I am curious as to why it is suspicious.

I did take a picture but I can't sign into the site with my phone. Keeps trying to log me in but can't. I'm now on my iPad. I'll be glad to text it to someone if they wanna see.

D. Colomb, one of DTL's victims was found near Lafayette outside of Scott.

I had to address this part of your post. The FBI NEVER said that DTL was white. The "Task Force" did, and that was their mistake. The "Task Force" only released portions of the profile that they wanted the public to see. The whole profile was NEVER released until DTL was arrested. When the "Task Force" said he was white, the FBI didn't agree or disagree. However, it is rare to have a serial killer that crosses racial lines (if that's the right word). The "Task Force" couldn't find their way out of a paper bag when it was first formed. I think it was chance that DTL was swabbed and caught. If there ever was a "Task Force" on how to do all the wrong things, "The Baton Rouge Serial Killer Task Force" was it.

DTL should have been arrested years before he was. He fit the profile almost to perfection.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

So, when the FBI came down here, they didn't help put together the profile? I guess I watch too much "Criminal Minds" because I know on there they racially profile in a way that I guess is incorrect. Imagine that, TV misrepresenting how things are done. lol
I am likely wrong then about why the killer was said to be white, but we were specifically told even after the FBI was in on the case that the killer was likely white aged 25-35. There was a witness in the Kinnamore case that said she saw a woman slumped over in a white pickup on I-10 that got off at Whiskey Bay. The witness described the drive as a thin white male. This likely only added to the confidence of BRPD and the FBI that the killer was white. If the FBI didn't disagree with the profile, then that is just as bad as signing off on it, imo. The profile was sooooo wrong, since Lee was not white, nor was he thin (muscular).

There really isn't any sense in arguing about how the investigation was done, somehow DTL was caught and will never be free again. For that, we can all be thankful.

"In early July, 44-year-old Pam Kinamore disappeared from her Baton Rouge home. Four days later, her body was found floating 30 miles away in Whiskey Bay, dumped off of Interstate 10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Her throat had been slashed."
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/derrick_todd_lee/4.html

The wording is vague. Are they saying he threw the bodies off the bridge or am I reading too much into that? Police are saying the they don't believe the bike was tossed from the bridge because it would be too dangerous.

Some will say that constantly recording/retaining records violates freedom. I don't agree and I'm one that feels that everyone's DNA/fingerprints should be in a databank for reference if needed. I do feel like my freedom is violated if I were to be attacked, harmed, killed if the perp goes unfound. Victims don't have rights!

It would be a complete violation of our civil rights. There is nothing more personal than your DNA, and to allow it into unknown hands, without just cause, would open quite a Pandora's Box.

Well, as it has been said, white trucks are everywhere. A big snag in this case.

I was attracted to this because there is a truck in the left turning lane at the Circle K. Indicating intended movement in the direction of that building. Also, there was debate as to whether the truck in the photo eight had the tailgate down or removed.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could solve this by just poking around on Google Earth?

I am pretty sure we won't solve the case based on google earth, but it does help to show exactly what LE is up against when they go looking for a white truck.

There's a suspicious looking boat I just saw dumped in carencro on university. Should I call tip line or police dept? It's freaking me out cause its a block from my mothers? Someone please answer

Call the local PD. It's probably a case of a flat tire on the trailer, but you never know.

I had to address this part of your post. The FBI NEVER said that DTL was white. The "Task Force" did, and that was their mistake. The "Task Force" only released portions of the profile that they wanted the public to see. The whole profile was NEVER released until DTL was arrested. When the "Task Force" said he was white, the FBI didn't agree or disagree. However, it is rare to have a serial killer that crosses racial lines (if that's the right word). The "Task Force" couldn't find their way out of a paper bag when it was first formed. I think it was chance that DTL was swabbed and caught. If there ever was a "Task Force" on how to do all the wrong things, "The Baton Rouge Serial Killer Task Force" was it.

DTL should have been arrested years before he was. He fit the profile almost to perfection.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

I watched one of those true crime shows on TV last week. One of the persons interviewed was the female FBI profiler who came up with the profile. She did INDEED say that they were looking for a white male. FBI did not release that information, the task force did. But the task force did not come up with that info on their own.

Totally agree about their ineptness.

Unless I'm mistaken Lee is Creole or Afro-Cajun, which would partially include him, something only a profiler from so. Louisiana would get. There were pics up in Breaux Bridge of an attacker who definitely looked Creole to me then. I can see from the WT & all of the info collected that so very much goes into trying to catch these people, & perhaps every working & re-working on the part of all of you & LE can hopefully make it work. I've never seen such empathy & dedication to a cause. What amazing & thought provoking work you all do.

DTL is African American, American Indian and Caucasian.

I find it interesting that Whiskey Bay is approximately 30 miles east of Lafayette and 30 miles west of Baton Rouge. The halfway point, if you will.

Edited to correct minutes to miles.

I have not been following the numbering scheme, so please clarify what you found.

A) Truck on St. Landry in left turning lane at University
B) Truck on St. Landry driving away from University
C) Truck heading north on University

So which is correct according to your research?

A=C or B=C

Don't want to add to the confusion, but what about D? Truck in same shot as Olds on Landry...up in rh corner? LOL

The wording is vague. Are they saying he threw the bodies off the bridge or am I reading too much into that? Police are saying the they don't believe the bike was tossed from the bridge because it would be too dangerous.

Journalism students should take basic law courses. Or is there a Minor in obfuscation?

I find it interesting that Whiskey Bay is approximately 30 mins east of Lafayette and 30 minutes west of Baton Rouge. The halfway point, if you will.

I went to LSU many years back. I spent nights in both Lafayette and Baton Rouge and commuted back and forth a lot. The Whiskey Bay bridge was my halfway landmark.

Hi folks,

Very sorry for the delay... I have been working on a comprehensive visual map of cameras, camera view angles and vehicles so we can look at everything at once. Doing that has required me to re-organize all my notes and screencaps and browser pages and folders etc.etc from the very beginning of the case.... because my info was all over the place!! And thank those of you so much you showed me where to find all six photos.

I have the info organized, and it won't take terribly long to do the photoshop once I get rolling.

That said (sorry!) I need to go out and take some more pictures right now, and unfortunately it has to be now. When I went out yesterday, I had my spare camera (my old one broke) and it had a low battery and almost full memory card. So I didn't get everything I needed. It has to be Sunday because the streets are very deserted. When I return I will do the camera map for everyone's use.... but it definitely will be this evening - I'm pretty fast at Photoshop once I have all the necessary files ready to go.

Thanks for your patience!!

Because they were. Kinnamore and Yoder were both found in the water at Whiskey Bay. There was some distance between the locations, but currents could have been different. Kinnamore was technically found at the waters edge as if she had washed up on the edge. This may have been where the confusion had come from with the previous post.

Question for locals. I find it hard to believe a gator would not "want" the corpses. Any explanation for that? TIA

DTL: Baton Rouge serial killer's IQ was only in the 70s as was Gary Ridgeway's: Green River serial killer. Both were active for decades and both identified & eventually convicted due to DNA upgrades. Hopefully MS abductor's DNA is in CODIS and this case will be solved quickly due to familial laws, touch dna & other forensics upgrades.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/codis (Combined DNA Index System - CODIS)

Huh? What have I missed?

Some will say that constantly recording/retaining records violates freedom. I don't agree and I'm one that feels that everyone's DNA/fingerprints should be in a databank for reference if needed. I do feel like my freedom is violated if I were to be attacked, harmed, killed if the perp goes unfound. Victims don't have rights!

:seeya: I'm right there with ya, Isabelle.

They can have my fingerprints, my DNA,,,,,,they can watch me 24/7.

I got nothing to hide, now go get the thugs off the street. :jail:

tezi,
I do want you to know that I agree that the task force was a joke in the beginning. The people in charge of relaying information to the public made my friends and I laugh when they would hold press conferences. They were in WAY over their heads with the DTL case.

I'm sorry, had to clear that up. I just starting posting on here and I really am not looking to be hated. I may not have ever known why the killer was said to be white. Just that the word for a long time was the killer was likely a white male. Sorry for causing any upset. Please don't ban me.:please:

Ok I called it into sheriff dept. she lives outside of city limits but ON UNIVERSITY so it struck me as odd.... I'm sure it's unrelated but the vibe I got is someone wanted to get rid of a boat but didn't do a great job cause it's halfway sticking out of the woods. No driveway no residence. Just a tree line off the highway. Wish I could post a picture cause I have 2 but don't know how to

Thank you so much for your dedication, chicken.
Don't forget to eat again!!!!!!

Hi folks,

Very sorry for the delay... I have been working on a comprehensive visual map of cameras, camera view angles and vehicles so we can look at everything at once. Doing that has required me to re-organize all my notes and screencaps and browser pages and folders etc.etc from the very beginning of the case.... because my info was all over the place!! And thank those of you so much you showed me where to find all six photos.

I have the info organized, and it won't take terribly long to do the photoshop once I get rolling.

That said (sorry!) I need to go out and take some more pictures right now, and unfortunately it has to be now. When I went out yesterday, I had my spare camera (my old one broke) and it had a low battery and almost full memory card. So I didn't get everything I needed. It has to be Sunday because the streets are very deserted. When I return I will do the camera map for everyone's use.... but it definitely will be this evening - I'm pretty fast at Photoshop once I have all the necessary files ready to go.

Thanks for your patience!!

We appreciate it chicken fried. I hope it leads to us all knowing a tad bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scc79535