LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the battery is removed, it can't be tracked either.

Right. But when they say hers is not the kind of phone that can be tracked if it's turned off, they're being less than truthful or just wrong, IMO.

But he was at home, right? So, he could've quickly put it on the charger and gotten a call or text or the aforementioned computer communication.

Exactly. That's what I didn't really understand about him talking about his phone being dead and not being able to speak with a friend that had called. It confused me, as you'd think he'd have just put it on the charger.

But he was at home, right? So, he could've quickly put it on the charger and gotten a call or text or the aforementioned computer communication.

This is the exact conversation I had in person today.

Me: BW's phone was dead

Other Live Human: ...and so he plugged it in to charge (invisible DUH)

The father was still out on the work/job event that he went to at 2:30AM and missed the son's graduation? Note he says "They went to my son's graduation", not we. May be normal for his line of work, but your son only graduates high school once.

i too find this strange. not that it really means anything to the case, but i think it's weird that you would miss your sons graduation. not judging, just saying it seems odd

I think a poster who works for Verizon verified that the above is somewhat shy of accurate. The last thread, maybe.

Unless the phone is broken or in the water, they can track it.

It cannot be pinged if it is off, if it is a newer phone with GPS it can be found, as long is it not damaged. In order to ping a phone it has to have a signal sent to the phone from the tower. It was stated MS had an older phone. I estimate it to be the type of phone my son has since they are nearly the same age. I would not be able to send a ping from the tower for his phone if it was off, nor would it have gps because it is a basic slider phone just like hers.

Bear in mind I have not been in telcom since Verizon eliminated my job in 2001, however I was in telecom for 12 years. Things have changed a bit b/c of the popularity of smart phones, but the basic premise is still the same.

I tend to believe that the 3:30 time frame is consistent when Verizon lost "touch" with the phone.

LA

I was discussing this with a real life person - in person! -

LE surely must have BW's phone data, right?

I would think he was the first person at the top of their list. My understanding is that he was cleared though.

I drove by the other day, and there was someone in a uniform sitting out front in a lawn chair! I don't know if it was a security guard or someone taking a break from a search---

Sorry for a dumb question. Do the searchers carry a lawn chair with them?

So maybe BW isn't being completely truthful or at least is leaving details out, potentially. Not saying he harmed her, but he may have unknowingly given away information to someone who did. He could have even told someone earlier that she was riding her bike to his house, so I am sure that person would assume she'd be riding home too. All they'd have to do is hide and wait for her to leave.

WTF is a WaWa?!

LOL...memories. I miss WaWa and was excited to see it mentioned!

WaWa is in New Jersey, like a 7-11 but more of a local feel/flavor.

There jingle is running in my head now...."...We do it just a little bit better at WaWa, WaWa.."

ACI, do you know if the cameras along I10 hold video footage or are they just for live traffic? there has to be something in those cameras along I10. there are tons of them. even if not before whiskey bay, after whiskey bay. i look at them everyday on wbrz channel 2 news. they sequence them. they show the mississippi river bridge on down to perkins then college then the split and so on

Exactly. That's what I didn't really understand about him talking about his phone being dead and not being able to speak with a friend that had called. It confused me, as you'd think he'd have just put it on the charger.

Or (gasp) he could have a land line! :what:

I heard BW (or his family) had a camp on Whiskey Bay. Anyone know if this is true or just another rumor. Sorry it's kinda a random question!

i too find this strange. not that it really means anything to the case, but i think it's weird that you would miss your sons graduation. not judging, just saying it seems odd

I find this odd as well. My son graduated on Friday. My entire family is in Louisiana, so we are driving all the way home to throw a party so that they can all feel included. I also do not judge, you've got to consider the fact that jobs are precious in this economy. So sometimes, you just got to do what you got to do.

LA

It cannot be pinged if it is off, if it is a newer phone with GPS it can be found, as long is it not damaged. In order to ping a phone it has to have a signal sent to the phone from the tower. It was stated MS had an older phone. I estimate it to be the type of phone my son has since they are nearly the same age. I would not be able to send a ping from the tower for his phone if it was off, nor would it have gps because it is a basic slider phone just like hers.

Bear in mind I have not been in telcom since Verizon eliminated my job in 2001, however I was in telecom for 12 years. Things have changed a bit b/c of the popularity of smart phones, but the basic premise is still the same.

I tend to believe that the 3:30 time frame is consistent when Verizon lost "touch" with the phone.

LA

Would they be able to triangulate the phone before it was "turned off" and give an approximate estimate of where it last was?
Hope this makes sense.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members