LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ACI, do you know if the cameras along I10 hold video footage or are they just for live traffic? there has to be something in those cameras along I10. there are tons of them. even if not before whiskey bay, after whiskey bay. i look at them everyday on wbrz channel 2 news. they sequence them. they show the mississippi river bridge on down to perkins then college then the split and so on

Some do. Most don't. I have no idea which ones do or do not. But I do know that LE was reviewing the footage from multiple traffic cams.

This is a bit off-topic and I did not know if there would be any interest. So I waited for a lull in the conversation.

If you are an old-timer in Lafayette, this will be familiar to you. The younger crowd probably won't know this.

The LCG building used to be Sears Department Store. It was built int the 1960's and was a was very popular place to shop until the malls stole its business. It was sold to the city and converted to city hall around 1980, if I recall.

I think I read somewhere that it had the first escalator in Lafayette.

The side with the Christmas trees is facing University, so this is the corner you would see if you were about where Mickey is last seen.

picture.php

Would they be able to triangulate the phone before it was "turned off" and give an approximate estimate of where it last was?
Hope this makes sense.
JMO

Yes. Not exact, but a range , a starting point.

What's the point if tearing them down? I don't get it.

There was this one guy, watching the searchers post flyers. He was yelling about it being illegal to put them up (in some places it is) and ripping them down. And not sure if this is the same guy or not, but one on FB whining about who's gonna come take them all down. I replied and told him that Mickey is STILL missing, but if/when she is found I will personally come take down every one in his neighborhood, just tell me the address.

i too find this strange. not that it really means anything to the case, but i think it's weird that you would miss your sons graduation. not judging, just saying it seems odd

Yea I think many professions are like this and people are unaware if it doesn't apply to them...my husband has missed tons of stuff being in the military and surprisingly most were NOT when he is deployed.

i too find this strange. not that it really means anything to the case, but i think it's weird that you would miss your sons graduation. not judging, just saying it seems odd

My dad works offshore so it doesn't seem that odd to me, but I understand why it would seem odd to you. Fortunately, mines was here for my graduation. I feel so sorry for MS's brother though. I just can't imagine what their family is going through. I'm sure that is not how he wanted to remember his graduation day.

Exactly. That's what I didn't really understand about him talking about his phone being dead and not being able to speak with a friend that had called. It confused me, as you'd think he'd have just put it on the charger.

I think they were at or en route to or from Taco Bell when this happened.

Ive seen them ripped down in a few places. Some people are just *******s

To be fair, the wind has ripped some down. Back in the beginning lots of people were going sparingly with the duct tape, using a tiny piece at the top and bottom. Lots of them were completely folded down so you couldn't really see the pic or read anything, and then we started taping all 4 sides completely.

I've unfortunately missed a lot of my kids' stuff due to my job, but have always made sure someone was there. I try to take vacation for the big stuff, however.

There was this one guy, watching the searchers post flyers. He was yelling about it being illegal to put them up (in some places it is) and ripping them down. And not sure if this is the same guy or not, but one on FB whining about who's gonna come take them all down. I replied and told him that Mickey is STILL missing, but if/when she is found I will personally come take down every one in his neighborhood, just tell me the address.

Wow, that's crappy.

I stopped reading the FB page. People get so weird.

Would they be able to triangulate the phone before it was "turned off" and give an approximate estimate of where it last was?
Hope this makes sense.
JMO

Yes, if they knew she was missing at that point. It's a "signal" that has to be sent. I do not believe they can go back in time and determine where phone was and what tower she was near before it was turned off. They do have records to show where call was and what tower it was made from, but I do not know if they can determine at a later date when it was just "idle". Hope this helps.

I was not an engineer, but a Customer service/escalations/major accounts supervisor. I know a bit about this because at one point I worked in a location with an actual switch inside the store. The techs would let me in from time to time and teach me how this worked, but not to the degree that I was on their level at all...

LA

Hope this makes sense.
JMO

Yes as long as there were 3 cell towers in range.

This is what they used in the Zahra Baker case. It is much like getting a GPS location.

Yes KateB, when you are called to work you have to go-you just do it.

That's what everyone tells me regarding working offshore.

that's true. i have a friend who's husband is an engineer and does stuff offshore . she called the morning of my baby shower and said that she couldn't come because her husband was called out offshore in the middle of the night. so it's almost like if you are a doctor and you get called out. i was thinking mr. shunick had planned to be working. i didn't think of it in terms of being "on call"

This is a bit off-topic and I did not know if there would be any interest. So I waited for a lull in the conversation.

If you are an old-timer in Lafayette, this will be familiar to you. The younger crowd probably won't know this.

The LCG building used to be Sears Department Store. It was built int the 1960's and was a was very popular place to shop until the malls stole its business. It was sold to the city and converted to city hall around 1980, if I recall.

I think I read somewhere that it had the first escalator in Lafayette.

The side with the Christmas trees is facing University, so this is the corner you would see if you were about where Mickey is last seen.

picture.php

My dad (now in his 60s) was a long-time Sears employee and was just telling me about the old store. :)

Yes as long as there were 3 cell towers in range.

This is what they used in the Zahra Baker case. It is much like getting a GPS location.

If this is true, then I am wrong. Technology has changed a bit, so sorry.

If so, this may be a great thing to know.

LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member