LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mom and sister started calling around at 8 am that morning. That seems like a normal response to me for a 21 year old girl that had gone out the night before. It sounds like the woke up, she wasn't home, so they called around. They went to the graduation and she wasn't there so they called the police. I remember being 19 and my mom freaking because she couldn't get a hold of me for 12 hours when we were supposed to evacuate for a hurricane. I was in college at LSU totally oblivious that we were supposed to evacuate (my hometown was evacuating, not Baton Rouge). My mom was FURIOUS, but she didn't call the police.

Turns out I was hanging out with a crush for her first 2 calls and didn't feel like talking to my mom because I was so giddy to be with the crush. Then my phone died then I went back to my apartment and went to sleep. It was 12 hours but I didn't realize that she or my friends were calling. Ooops! I've never made the mistake of avoiding my mother's calls since then.

But, they made a point to say she never sleeps at others' houses. That she is SO reliable and she would never go anywhere without letting them know. I don't care how old my child is. If they are THAT reliable and are late, I am freaking out.

The mom and sister started calling around at 8 am that morning. That seems like a normal response to me for a 21 year old girl that had gone out the night before. It sounds like the woke up, she wasn't home, so they called around. They went to the graduation and she wasn't there so they called the police. I remember being 19 and my mom freaking because she couldn't get a hold of me for 12 hours when we were supposed to evacuate for a hurricane. I was in college at LSU totally oblivious that we were supposed to evacuate (my hometown was evacuating, not Baton Rouge). My mom was FURIOUS, but she didn't call the police.

Turns out I was hanging out with a crush for her first 2 calls and didn't feel like talking to my mom because I was so giddy to be with the crush. Then my phone died then I went back to my apartment and went to sleep. It was 12 hours but I didn't realize that she or my friends were calling. Ooops! I've never made the mistake of avoiding my mother's calls since then.

Hon, I'm forty fricken' seven and the peeps still do it!:blushing:

I hadn't heard before now that TES was returning. They did not update the active case section on their website to including the missing girl they went to locate in Meridian. Perhaps this means she ended up being a runaway or in some other situation and not something so unfortunate. Whatever the case may be, I'm glad that they are able to return now. I have thought since yesterday, based on something CS said, that closure will be near.

Charlie? What did she say?

Hmm. It's a long shot but I wonder if the psychology building or the math building (Gerard and Broussard if my memory is correct, which it probably isn't) have any sort of surveillance pointing toward Johnston. Hmm.
What @ the French House?

bbm: OK -- now will you have a talk with my daughter please, LOL! (Actually, she's pretty good about keeping in touch -- usually!)

She was an adult. Adults are allowed to come and go as they please. Most police departments will not even allow a report to be filed until they are missing for 48 hours unless there is some extenuating circumstance where it looks like foul play has occurred.

I do find it strange that it took her family THAT long to even begin looking for her, much less contact the police.

That's actually a misconception in most places, although maybe it's true in some areas. I'm not sure where it comes from, but I used to believe it as well until my husband went missing.

I called the PD on the phone to ask what I should do, telling them I thought I had to wait at least 24 hours to make a MP report, and they told me that was wrong and to come down and file one right away.

What was true, though, is that since I filed on a Saturday they couldn't start working on his case until Monday. I wanted to die when I heard this. They said they had no detectives to assign to the case until a weekday. Fortunately, he was found on Sunday.

so what about the other vehicles at the circle k store across from her when she is at the city hall camera on her bike.... there is a few cars there and people... whose to say someone wasnt checking her out from there when she passed

But, they made a point to say she never sleeps at others' houses. That she is SO reliable and she would never go anywhere without letting them know. I don't care how old my child is. If they are THAT reliable and are late, I am freaking out.

that's true. at that time, i wasn't very reliable -- your typical college sophomore.

I have to agree with you here

My eyes are filling with tears again...must be hormonal..

WORD OF MOUTH ABOUT MICKEY WILL NEVER DIE DOWN....IF THERE IS ONE THING I KNOW ABOUT G.R.I.T.S. ITS THAT THEY TALK A LOT .......AND FOR A LONG LONG TIME.

I don't think tears need hormones.

I have been reading and trying to catch up. Could the pic with the fan or image of the fan be a music speaker? maybe it is someone that was playing music that nite and nite before that saw her and was watching her. ??

that's true. at that time, i wasn't very reliable -- your typical college sophomore.

But if she never stays over anyones house and there is no BF in the pic
she isnt home you cant reach her by phone and her friends dont know.
And she is out there on a bicycle wouldnt u call LE i would!

I wonder what insight / perspective / discussion would come out of considering only the facts we know, but in reverse order? Not sure if this has been covered, but I have been considering this throughout the day.

bbm: OK -- now will you have a talk with my daughter please, LOL! (Actually, she's pretty good about keeping in touch -- usually!)

just tell her about MS and she will understand what goes through a momma's head when their lovely little daughters don't answer the phone ;)

Not if they started calling around by 8:00 AM!

It is when you consider that they didn't figure out where she was at that point and still just went to graduation and were mad at her for not showing up. If she is that reliable, you wouldn't be mad because you'd know if she could be there, she would be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne