LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck is the only vehicle that makes any sense because the perp could have thrown the bike in quickly. Way too much trouble to get the bike in a car so why not just leave the bike behind??

hey there..it's my first post...so please bear with me:)
I have been following this carefully thread by thread - I feel like I know some of you...chicken fried, mamamia, the two houdats and ACI...i love all your thought processes and attempts at deductions...:)
I remember a couple of threads ago that someone mentioned that LE had stated that it was apparent that Mickey made it 1 mile of her 4 mile journey home (don't know the exact thread or poster)...this means they must have some info that makes them believe she didn't get much farther than the circle k area.
there was damage to her bike - it must have been by a vehicle...? so a vehicle had to be involved....not someone just on foot.
some people say that if she went down Braesher there would have been screams etc. heard...but sometimes when one is in a state of shock one cannot scream (remember brady bunch episode/peter /tarantula/hawaii)...\
plus... i don't think the perp was necessarily pre-aware of cameras...lucked into area of decision by MS where there just didn't happen to be any....
however at some point - no matter what- the vehicle would have had to leave area to get to WB and would probably be caught on camera leaving the area of the abduction...
just some thoughts from Canada...

I think it is going to be someone she knew... she stopped at somebody's house and something bad happened (intentional or unintentional). The individual took the handle bars off of the bike in order to fit it into the trunk of a car. The damage to the rear tire ocurred while trying to close the trunk lid in a rush in the dark of night. Is there a residential area around where she was last spotted?

Am I missing something about the handlebars? Are they confirmed to have been removed?

I've never had a bike that had easy to remove handlebars, and if hers was a single gear one, I kinda doubt hers would have been removable without at least an allen wrench.

If they make them too easy to remove, then they risk spinning on you and throwing you off the bike if you even bump them.

They may volunteer information, but surely they are not under any obligation to help a P.I. Of course, if a P.I. suspects something, he can take it to LE.

They are also in no way obligated to show it to LE. But they do. And they show it to me too. People want to help.

hey there..it's my first post...so please bear with me:)
I have been following this carefully thread by thread - I feel like I know some of you...chicken fried, mamamia, the two houdats and ACI...i love all your thought processes and attempts at deductions...:)
I remember a couple of threads ago that someone mentioned that LE had stated that it was apparent that Mickey made it 1 mile of her 4 mile journey home (don't know the exact thread or poster)...this means they must have some info that makes them believe she didn't get much farther than the circle k area.
there was damage to her bike - it must have been by a vehicle...? so a vehicle had to be involved....not someone just on foot.
some people say that if she went down Braesher there would have been screams etc. heard...but sometimes when one is in a state of shock one cannot scream (remember brady bunch episode/peter /tarantula/hawaii)...\
plus... i don't think the perp was necessarily pre-aware of cameras...lucked into area of decision by MS where there just didn't happen to be any....
however at some point - no matter what- the vehicle would have had to leave area to get to WB and would probably be caught on camera leaving the area of the abduction...
just some thoughts from Canada...

:welcome:

Someone posted seeing a fan and saying they had to go back and figure out what kind of fan blades they were seeing. For some reason, I automatically thought of a huge box fan - the kind that stand 3 or 4+ feet tall. I'm not sure how common they are in other parts of the country, but we use them here for the heat under carports, in garages, in shops all the time. Great for cooling off and blowing away the mosquitoes.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/h...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CJnIksX0t7ACFQaxnQodRG4_8g

Am I missing something about the handlebars? Are they confirmed to have been removed?

I've never had a bike that had easy to remove handlebars, and if hers was a single gear one, I kinda doubt hers would have been removable without at least an allen wrench.

If they make them too easy to remove, then the risk spinning on you and throwing you off the bike if you even bump them.

Afaik, it's not been confirmed but the statement by LE was worded so that it seems they might have been.

The truck is the only vehicle that makes any sense because the perp could have thrown the bike in quickly. Way too much trouble to get the bike in a car so why not just leave the bike behind??

If you weren't intending on something happening to her and it did, you would want to dispose of the bike as quickly as possible. If you didn't have access to a truck you would use the only thing you have - possibly a car.

If they make them too easy to remove, then they risk spinning on you and throwing you off the bike if you even bump them.

No confirmation - just speculating based on the way the LE described finding the bike.

The truck not being involved is a definite possibility. In my mind, it's actually probable.
If it's the same truck going both directions on St. Landry then I believe it's highly probable it could be the perp. If by chance it is two different trucks then I believe LE is simply seeking the driver out as a potential witness and not necessarily as a suspect.

Someone posted seeing a fan and saying they had to go back and figure out what kind of fan blades they were seeing. For some reason, I automatically thought of a huge box fan - the kind that stand 3 or 4+ feet tall. I'm not sure how common they are in other parts of the country, but we use them here for the heat under carports, in garages, in shops all the time. Great for cooling off and blowing away the mosquitoes.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/h...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CJnIksX0t7ACFQaxnQodRG4_8g

IMO if that is the perps truck and he is carrying a fan it would be needed if he were planning on taking ms to a camp, or building with no air, thus a planned abduction.

Originally Posted by A.C.I
Not that I know of. I did just find some cameras in the Brashear neighborhood. But the owners arent home. So now...I have to wait

I'll be interested to hear what you find if those people get home and can produce a tape of that night.

Who ever drives that truck I'm thinking is more then likely a country boy someone who lives just outside of lafayette like Maurice, leroy, abbeville, kaplan but goes to laffy often for work or just to party bc I don't see many guys from laffy area driving around w a cross like that on the back of their trucks If its someone local I understand why they would dump the bike there it's a known drop off place an it would take the investigation more to new iberia side ESP if they lived in Maurice or any of those of areas an if this is the case unfortantly it's working ... I still think there is a big possibility that it could have a been someone trying to dogde the check point just because you are trying to do that does not mean your plastered but u know that you've had a drink to many to pass meaning they would still be in the right mind frame to be able to hurry an pick up her an the bike off the road ... I have done this before and trust me I wasn't the only one ended of course on a dead in road ( just my luck )with a few other cars an got a little fender bender from someone backing up into my car eventually we ended up on the interstate with out a clue how an was able to exit at amb caffery ...

Ok I'm finally back--decided coffee wasn't going to do it, just straight up went back to bed and now ready to start the day all over at 3:30 pm.

As I say every day: Okay, let today be the day Mickey is found. Or at least let today be the day some tiny sliver of evidence is found that leads to something bigger, that leads to Mickey. And yes I am aware the day is half over, but who knows what LE could have discovered while I was sleeping. If they are still watching video, maybe something useful.

The only thing I have to add after catching up on posts is, IMO that's not a window decal people are seeing. I just don't think we'd be able to see one through TWO windows (back glass and rear passenger); tinted or not. I don't have a decal, but I can tape up a piece of paper or something on my back glass and take a pic from the same view that the cam captured the DWTIQ. I'd be surprised if I could see that piece of paper in the pic.

Well yeah...but I think the truck is very telling because people involved with horses all drive (mainly off road) trucks.

i agree. im assuming the stable area has been looked. i mean i would hope so at least.

Well - as my name implies, who knew? I have no inside info and I am not a local - so I'm just going to run some thoughts here. Maybe someone will think of something that will start us on another path. To start - I really can't see this as a hit and run. Most murders are not committed by strangers, serial killers, runaway vehicles, etc. - they are committed by acquaintances, family, friends, enemies, pastors, jealous wives/husbands, co-workers...... I doubt it just "happened" - but I don't think it was planned out to the minutest detail either.

Someone earlier mentioned a Catholic Church on MS's route. MS would feel safe with a priest (or a person pretending to be a priest). But then - in the Christopher Coleman case, we have a preacher's son who worked for Joyce Myers Ministries and he killed his wife and 2 sons so he could marry his mistress and keep his $100,000 a year position. (This is NOT implying a member of the Catholic Church on her route had anything to do with her disappearance.) My point is that a person of trust can be the person who took Micky. I would not begin to hypothesize on who that might be on a public website, but it will probably end up being someone that no one even thought of. Or someone Micky knew that her family/friends were unaware of.

As for cameras not catching this - some people are just lucky. You know the ones. They win door prizes, drawings, 50/50's all the time. I don't think the perp was necessarily smart - just very lucky. After all, every blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

We have discussed white trucks, routes of travel, dumping spots - we need to put our minds into the mind of the killer. Why would someone kill her (because I do believe she is gone)? Usually, it is anger. We have heard what a wonderful girl Micky was - personable, sweet. What would cause someone to be so angry at a girl like Micky? I doubt she would intentionally hurt another person.

I also have a hard time believing she is alive. As horrible as that is, the statistics indicate she is probably dead and probably has been since shortly after she was abducted. If you go on the assumption she most likely knew her abductor, or could identify him/her, then you know she can't be alive. So - that leads me to the following. I don't know if she is straight, gay or bi, so I will just say boyfriend and leave it at that. Do we know if she had ex-boyfriends - or if her close friends had exes who perceived her to be a reason for a break-up? Did anyone notice a person who seemed to be besotted with MS, but MS didn't return the feelings. Was someone jealous of her? Remember the Texas cheerleader murder case? Did someone feel like they couldn't have something/someone important to them because of her?

I don't think it is drugs -- money -- ransom.......... but that's just my opinion.

As for a dump site - if you were the perp, and therefore inexperienced I would hope ;) , where would you dump a body? The river - swamp? A trashcan (was trash pickup sometime within a couple of days of her disappearance?) -

Hope this didn't upset anyone. I have a lot of faith in LE although I don't know what yours is like. I am married to LE and have 2 others in my family - they are all honest, hard-working and successful. So IMO, LE has a lot of facts that we don't have, nor do we need to have, and they are working towards an arrest. There are bad apples in every LE dept. but for the most part, they are doing their best.

If anything rings a bell here, let's go with it.

i agree. im assuming the stable area has been looked. i mean i would hope so at least.

EXACTLY! You CAN'T over THINK this case. Lack of evidence of her being thrown from her bike tells me she KNOWS this person and took a ride. There are only 2 ways to get her to stop 1) knock her off or 2) KNOW her! She HAD to be going fast to make it from Versailles to St. Landry in a minute flat.

I'll be interested to hear what you find if those people get home and can produce a tape of that night.
Forive if this has been stated/worked out before. Has someone made a grid of the area from above that includes that area from University-St Landry-Coliseum-Johnston w/ probable & usual routes?
I drove down St Landry @ 1 hr ago to see how it ends to Coliseum & saw a man staring intently at the concrete in front of the buns/pizza hut lot. I guess we're all trying to put pieces of an unwieldy puzzle together. I feel for the searchers in this 100+ heat w/index. Like breathing through wet flannel w/ possibility of 'sun pain' round the corner. Worth it for just one clue.

Thank you for joining Websleuths!

It is wonderful to see so many new members (many locals!) interested in helping locate Mickey. Your dedication is appreciated.

:welcome3:​

Please remember the following when discussing the Mickey Shunick case:
Websleuths is a moderated forum. We strive to discuss cases in a friendly environment.

Our rules can be reviewed here: Link to the Rules Forum (PLEASE make sure you know the rules!)
:bump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member