LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess leaves the saints streets ideas back there at saints streets lol. I highly doubted the truth would lie there anyway. Whoever did this took her out of town.
I'll give up saints sts when the info is released re cameras on Johnston. If she made it past there, then that area or further down Congress is likely, but I've 'heard' nothingbut I only know old people like me who don't do social media & don't have boots on the ground.
My first reaction when the bike was found at WB was a DTL taunt, which meant a local (not really all that local)
My second thought was a 'hard leg,' not a 'ti boy.'
now I'm bleeding from the ears again..ugh...the scent dogs, that punches the gut...

New to websleuths. Been following the Mickey Shunick case since it was first reported, as I work 3-4 blocks from the Circle K in the camera video and frankly this whole case scares me for Lafayette.

:welcome:

Hello all! First time poster here. Have found myself with a lot of time on my hands lately and have read almost every post in regards to Mickey (and others) on this site. I have studied the surveillance photo's endlessly.

It is my opinion that it was a hit and run, most likely accidental and very likely not long after she passed the Circle K. And, it is not necessarily the car/truck drivers fault. Quite often bicyclists collide with a vehicle or ride into the vehicles path. Does anyone know if she was wearing headphones and listening to either music of some form?

I have seen pics of bicycle's that have been hit by a car. If the back rim is damaged then she was likely rear ended. If there is more damage then she may have collided with a vehicle and any combination of factors could take place. More often than not, the bicyclist ends up being hurtled onto or over the vehicle if hit from behind.

It seems improbable that she was stalked by anyone that knew her. It's a possibility that someone hit her bicycle with the intention of an abduction but most people abduct someone for sexual purposes and why would they want to severely injure someone first when they could just cut her off and grab her? If they hit her intentionally then they hit her hard to damage a rim.

There are two images of the white truck. One coming and one going. The backgrounds and other cars/people getting gas state a lot. The dark car is there the duration. The white car in only one pic and it appears damaged. There is also another vehicle behind the tree in the left turn lane that would have seen the white truck pass shortly after Mickey is seen and may have seen Mickey herself.

If the truck hit her there in front of the Circle K hard enough to bend a rim, it would have made some noise and would have taken some time to pick up her and the bicycle so this seems almost impossible. Also, the car/truck turning left would have seen some comotion going on i would think. It does appear something is under the truck in both pics...both in the front and back but I have no idea what.

Apologize for the long post...figured I would cover it all at once :)

Great first post and :welcome: to WS. And I love your name here.

if im not mistaken, jumping the curb on brashear to keep go straight, keeps you on brashear. by staying on the road, it curves left onto cherry. this is correct if im thinking right

This is a map of Brashear at the approach to Cherry St.

mapal.gif

I'll give up saints sts when the info is released re cameras on Johnston. If she made it past there, then that area or further down Congress is likely, but I've 'heard' nothingbut I only know old people like me who don't do social media & don't have boots on the ground.
My first reaction when the bike was found at WB was a DTL taunt, which meant a local (not really all that local)
My second thought was a 'hard leg,' not a 'ti boy.'
now I'm bleeding from the ears again..ugh...the scent dogs, that punches the gut...
I can only remember with hope in my heart that scent dogs can imply that they are after evidence and does not necessarily mean cadaver dogs.

If a "T Boy" was involved, it would be closed by now because too many of his buddies would know and would crack under interrogation...

...bike was dumped in order to create the connection to DTL in local minds and misdirect LE into thinking whoever dumped it did so on the way out of town.

I also think the location of the bike was a diversionary tactic.

Good point...I think this is a sick individual that is fascinated by the DTL story as well as the Jennings disappearances...

Agreed. Fascinated by DTL story because he can relate to the darkness and psyche of DTL?

Thanks for jumping in, and welcome.

Lafayette <modsnip> has successfully managed to hang on to it's cultural integrity and uniqueness. Depending on the outcome of this case and the identity of the perp, we may still weather this and emerge and a tighter, closer, community.

<modsnip>

Lafayette is strong, as this case shows it, but IMO LE has to institute a major crackdown on -type behavior before it's too late. I feel we are on the edge of a precipice, and don't have a lot of time to salvage it. As well, we have an abysmal government with almost non-existent leadership skills. Bad times for Lafayette, IMO.

Sad to say that.

Thanks for jumping in, and welcome.

Lafayette <modsnip> has successfully managed to hang on to it's cultural integrity and uniqueness. Depending on the outcome of this case and the identity of the perp, we may still weather this and emerge and a tighter, closer, community.

Lafayette has changed a great deal. I'm a substance abuse counselor at an inpatient unit here in Lafayette. The things I hear about our city truly amaze me. Lafayette is a growing city and there is a real need for everyone to realize that.

I wonder if it is 'made in China'!

New to websleuths. Been following the Mickey Shunick case since it was first reported, as I work 3-4 blocks from the Circle K in the camera video and frankly this whole case scares me for Lafayette.

Me, too. I work in Lafayette and today, to get out of traffic on Johnston, I drove through the Saints streets. I kept thinking that if something happened to her in that area, I feel like it probably happened near the hospital and the businesses around it (that would be closed at 2am) or near Coliseum Rd. It just becomes so desolate in those two areas (versus a street lined with residences up and down). However, if I were to have to ride my bike through that area at night, I'd definitely turn down Brashear or one of the streets lined with houses before coming up on the hospital and the fields by the coliseum. I'd rather be around some homes rather than fields and deserted buildings. While it's entirely possible whatever happened took place in front of many homes where the occupants heard nothing, there would be no one around for help by the hospital and especially by the coliseum. No one would hear anyone scream on Coliseum Rd. The whole area creeps me out now.

I'm also distressed that many in the UL community have told me they're sure some drunk hit her by accident and then took her away, completely shrugging off the possibility of abduction. There are plenty of women taking precautions just in case, but also some who are so certain it's an accident that they aren't necessarily making sure to stay aware of their surroundings, report anything weird, or use the buddy system when it probably should be used.

<modsnip>

Lafayette is strong, as this case shows it, but IMO LE has to institute a major crackdown on -type behavior before it's too late. I feel we are on the edge of a precipice, and don't have a lot of time to salvage it. As well, we have an abysmal government with almost non-existent leadership skills. Bad times for Lafayette, IMO.

Sad to say that.

Let me ask you, do you think this was done by a , or someone with just a dark side?

If a "T Boy" was involved, it would be closed by now because too many of his buddies would know and would crack under interrogation...
They"d crack for beers & tickets to an LSU game.

Yep. I don't think it's a T-boy, a hard-leg, or a good old boy. I think it's a loner, a psycho. I also think he is skilled at blending in.

Let's hope this creep's family notices big changes in him and calls LE or he HIMSELF calls in. Creeps like this crave attention and are loners so his family should know something is up. I feel as if he lives very close to family in a 50 mi. radius of Lafayette in the boondocks.

This is a map of Brashear at the approach to Cherry St.

mapal.gif

You can see on the right she could get on the sidewalk and pass the roadblock without having to stop and move her bike.

I know this area is really the only place we can concentrate on besides WB but I think LE isn't sharing info on other possible surveillance photos they have which would place her outside the area. They are not disclosing either for reasons regarding the investigation or unsure of a positive ID of the the bicyclist.

Yep. I don't think it's a T-boy, a hard-leg, or a good old boy. I think it's a loner, a psycho. I also think he is skilled at blending in.

I agree with Schmidty...
but I soooo want to be wrong!

I've seen a lot of talk here that Lafayette changed so much after Katrina, but honestly, I don't get that. Lafayette wasn't some perfect city before 2005. When I was 18 in 1999 we would go out to the McKinley Street Strip and there had been stabbings and HUGE fights and shootings. When my older sister started going out in the early 90's there were the same things happening. I love Lafayette, but let's be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonhope55