LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that links regarding her horses and training has already been supplied.

Thought only her bike had been found so far and non of the personal items on her.

Correct, no other items have been confirmed to have been found. Only hints and rumors so far as far as I know.

IMO, this was not someone Mickey knew.
Maybe someone who had seen her, but I am not feeling a connection to her personally.
But who knows...I just hope we someday know.

IMO, this was not someone Mickey knew.
Maybe someone who had seen her, but I am not feeling a connection to her personally.
But who knows...I just hope we someday know.

To be clear as to what I'm thinking, I don't think someone like BW who is her true friend. I'm thinking someone in her life in her outer circles - someone she crossed paths with or she had let down without even realizing it. An opportunist who wanted to sexually assault her. That's why I think it could be a stable keeper or someone from a bike club or from Artmosphere who happened to be there that night. Someone who knew she would have to ride her bike home that night. Or, like her sister said, some creep they both know who is capable of harming someone. Maybe Mickey had something he wanted a rare something these days.

Or, she could have been attacked by total strangers but no noise, no evidence of a fight, no witnesses, no look of concern from her from what we can see from her last image.

I see that links regarding her horses and training has already been supplied.

thread 13, posted on 5/30/12. Sorry I didn't link it but not sure if the place wants the attention. They must be so sad.

LOL I mean here at WS, we ask that posters provide MSM links to support their statements, with a nod to the WS rule that we don't allow wild suppositions. Supposition yes--wild supposition, not so much.

Oh, okay, gotcha. I did post the link to the Advertiser with the stuff about items that Mickey *may* have been carrying.

Thought only her bike had been found so far and non of the personal items on her.

Well, yeah, but this is info just released today. All it said is that items given to the PI "may" have been carried by Mickey. I wonder if these items were found by searchers.

Link re: BW's bike; look under May 9th comments.

http://www.facebook.com/BikeLafayette

There was kind of weird story around that. Within something like three hours of that being posted, some cop contacted Brettly saying he'd found Brettly's bike in some bushes. I seem to recall, and I can't swear to this, that the cop knew Brettly's address when it hadn't been posted. Someone else may remember that or be able to clarify the details.

Oh, there are so many advantages to texting...you can complete tasks during a conversation (instead of trying not to drop you phone in food, toilet, pool, etc.), be in a boring meeting, watch a movie, have multiple convo's w/out having to hang up & call back, think about how you want to say something w/out the awkward silence, pass info on bfr you forget even if the person can't answer or if its inappropriate to be on the phone, and of course, there is no akward time to hang up issues;)

Oh yeah, its so much easier having a conversation without everyone else around ( especially your kids) putting their 2¢ in;)
Amennn.

There was kind of weird story around that. Within something like three hours of that being posted, some cop contacted Brettly saying he'd found Brettly's bike in some bushes. I seem to recall, and I can't swear to this, that the cop knew Brettly's address when it hadn't been posted. Someone else may remember that or be able to clarify the details.

Not sure on address details but Brettly and an officer both left phone numbers so contact was probably made that way.
Brettly says he picked up the bike himself from the precinct (on his FB page)

If it was my bike, I would have contacted the cops first, not posted it on FB...

Not sure on address details but Brettly and an officer both left phone numbers so contact was probably made that way.
Brettly says he picked up the bike himself from the precinct (on his FB page)

If it was my bike, I would have contacted the cops first, not posted it on FB...

but each to their own ;)

Link re: Items given to PI

"Abdella also says he has been given items thought to have been with Shunick the night she vanished."

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120608/NEWS01/206080323/-Encouraged-by-findings?odyssey=mod%7Cmostview&nclick_check=1

Does this seem odd to anyone else?

How can he be "given" items (ie, not found in a search) that Mickey had with her other than the perp or someone she came into contact with after leaving BW's house?

Am I missing something?

I also find it odd that the article for some reason goes off on a tangent defending Abdella's reputation as a PI.........Why the need?

Who is questioning him? Press hacks?

My opinions only, no facts here:

I find it possible, if not likely, that the two white truck surveillance pics are the same vehicle. I am speaking of the white truck that was going in the same direction as MS on her bicycle and the white truck that was going in the opposite direction, both in front of the gas station. I scaled the two vehicles accounting for their being in the near lane and far lane respectively, and their lengths are comparable. They both may have five-hole mag wheels. I know that this model is common, but at this later time of night what are the odds of the same-colored vehicle of the same length, model, and wheel-style passing by within a few minutes? Not that there is any evidence that this vehicle (or these vehicles) have anything to do with this case.

Note that in both pics, there is the same car parked at the gas pumps in the station. These pics are probably captured minutes apart.

Having said all of this, if the white truck is involved, it would require the perpetrator to follow MS, hit her with the truck, grab her and the damaged bike, and return to the same camera view within about five minutes. I have not followed this case as closely as many of you here. Is this time frame possible? Before answering, think about what lies down the road. Is it isolated enough down the road at night that a perpetrator would take the risk of pulling this off?

Attachments

• MickeyShunick_both_pics.jpg
    MickeyShunick_both_pics.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 70
My opinions only, no facts here:

I find it possible, if not likely, that the two white truck surveillance pics are the same vehicle. I am speaking of the white truck that was going in the same direction as MS on her bicycle and the white truck that was going in the opposite direction, both in front of the gas station. I scaled the two vehicles accounting for their being in the near lane and far lane respectively, and their lengths are comparable. They both may have five-hole mag wheels. I know that this model is common, but at this later time of night what are the odds of the same-colored vehicle of the same length, model, and wheel-style passing by within a few minutes? Not that there is any evidence that this vehicle (or these vehicles) have anything to do with this case.

Note that in both pics, there is the same car parked at the gas pumps in the station. These pics are probably captured minutes apart.

Having said all of this, if the white truck is involved, it would require the perpetrator to follow MS, hit her with the truck, grab her and the damaged bike, and return to the same camera view within about five minutes. I have not followed this case as closely as many of you here. Is this time frame possible? Before answering, think about what lies down the road. Is it isolated enough down the road at night that a perpetrator would take the risk of pulling this off?

I would love to agree with you, but I can't.

I posted in this thread or some threads ago about this. I don't think this is the same truck based on the fact that there is no Z71 decal in the second pic. It also looks to be a full sized cab in the second photo, whereas the first looks to be a short cab.

Here's also some thoughts guys:

How easy would it be to "disguise" this truck?

Slap some offroad tires on that sucker and you've got a different truck. Also, how easy would it be to remove that decal and paint over it?

I'm sure it's been hashed out here, but maybe not... I woke up this morning with a thought in my head.

I wonder if any investigators are working on the possibility that the truck was made to disappear in a body of water in the area?

How long could somebody hide the fact that their truck was missing?

Assuming they have insurance, they could probably theoretically keep renewing their insurance without ever having to have prove they still own the vehicle, maybe.

Heck, I believe in many areas they can even keep renewing license plates & registration without having to show a physical vehicle.

The only thing in my area that I would have to have a vehicle for is mandatory emissions testing, which I think is only for vehicles at least 3 or 4 years old and older. And, we can't renew our registration without this testing.

Anyway, maybe they can find people that own the type of truck they are looking for who don't renew their insurance or registration, or who don't do their vehicle emissions testing.

The possibility exists that the truck was already expired or in arrears in some way before the crime, so maybe investigators could go back up to a year and keep watch for trucks that expire or go into debt somehow for the next couple of years, via state databases and by subpoena of insurance company documents (which hopefully wouldn't be too hard on the insurance angle, my guess is most people use one of three or four top/big insurance agencies).

I wonder if LE thought to "ping" everyone on MS facebook friend list from that night. Its alot to do but some people are Facebook friends but not great friends in reality.

I wonder if LE thought to "ping" everyone on MS facebook friend list from that night. Its alot to do but some people are Facebook friends but not great friends in reality.

That's something I've never even considered. You certainly could check on phone pings for someone other than the missing.

From what I have seen about the power of social media among the young folk here in Lafayette, giving out more info may serve to drive the perps further underground. Just think - if info were posted here at WS and hit Facebook, how many nanoseconds do you think it would be before the perps knew what the cops know?

DTL, was driven underground, yet was eventually captured in Atlanta, GA due to heat being placed on the DTL Task Force via concerned citizens. The one common denominator in cases that I have researched is that once the pressure is placed on the predator/s, no more innocent victim's lives are taken.

Interesting read about the DTL Investigation; deja vu-

In Search of Derrick Todd Lee: The Internet Social Movement that Made a Difference
by Stan Weeber

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Search-Derrick-Todd-Lee-Difference/dp/0761838422/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wey&tag=investigativepsyh-20"]Amazon.com: In Search of Derrick Todd Lee: The Internet Social Movement that Made a Difference (9780761838425): Stan Weeber: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-OClghytL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-OClghytL[/ame]

This book is about criminologist Maurice Godwin's Internet social movement that sprang to life during the Baton Rouge serial murder case. The movement was a response to the Task Force failing to find serial killer Derrick Todd Lee, as citizens in Baton Rouge, South Louisiana, and South Mississippi no longer wished to wait in fear. This is a story of citizen empowerment in a time of crisis. Both scholars and ordinary citizens will be inspired by the way the people in Baton Rouge helped themselves by putting pressure on investigators for improved results. Godwin's innovative Internet movement, involving geographic mapping and online discussions with Baton Rouge citizens, developed into a hub of information to expedite the finding and arrest of Lee. The author sociologically describes and analyzes the key players, the major controversies, and the internal dynamics of the movement that led to the arrest of the serial killer on May 27, 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne