LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
....just kind of meaning a glaring "here I am"....can't you see me coming from a mile away kind of light. The lights were on her bike....one large one on the front and a lot of reflectives.
In other words, it was not subtle, not stealth-like....it was an awkward announcement of where she was. Some might think it is a good thing, I don't agree at all.

capice?

A headlight and tail light are required by law when cycling at night.

I didn't know that she had a light of any kind on her bike. I don't see any on her bike photo posted on this poster. Maybe I'm
missing it.

http://findmickeynow.com/

One of my sons has detachable lights. They clip on, and can be removed.

Mickey had a head light, tail light, and blinking lights on her spokes.

Lafayette is not a safe area from everything I saw on my re-enacted MS bike route via googlemaps. Not even close.....

Has L.E. warned it's citizens publicly?
Can you give more details on how to do your re-enactment bike route. I eat there @ 2/week & my internest's office is on St Mary. How does one go about doing this w/out any tech/computer skills?

I think knowing self-defense is great...I just wonder how often a woman actually has the chance to utilize her skills if attacked unawares...

Still, everyone who is ever out and about alone should take a course. One never knows and if nothing else, the screaming they teach you may be the thing that halts the attack or summons help.

I hate to even imagine what went through Mickey's mind when she realized what was happening to her, I try not to think about it, but can't help it, and besides, she had to live it. The least others can do is endure the discomfort of imagining it. I wonder if she thought of her mace, of the people who warned her about riding alone, about her family, and her pets...or if she didn't even have time to think of anything at all, just had to try to simply react. It is horrible to think about, but this horrible thing, whatever it was, happened to her in real life, and no one was available to help her. Just like so many other victims. With all of the people on this planet, why is no one around when murderous and/or violent thugs decide to satisfy their sick urges...

Just venting...I hate that nothing seems to be happening. Not much good has ever come from the cases we've seen where LE officially ends the regular searches and waits for tips.

JMO

RE: .I just wonder how often a woman actually has the chance to utilize her skills if attacked unawares -

John Albert Gardener; predator/sk, was identified as a poi in the abduction of Chelsea King & Amber Dubois(CA), partially due to one of his attempted abduction victim's martial arts skills. She escaped his wrath and was able to provide a sketch for LE.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/am...led-chelsea-kings-suspected/story?id=10045235

Yet, Meredith Emerson (GA), who was martial arts trained, fought her abductor and actually got the best of him until he convinced her that he only wanted her ATM cards.

Meredith Emerson Fought Hard to Survive
http://crime.about.com/b/2008/03/24/meredith-emerson-fought-hard-to-survive.htm

So this is my personal opinion from my perspective and from my entirely different part of the country:

First, MS bike route via googlemaps around the Versailles/St. John area shows a city-like area. It is a semi-tired, seen-better-days area. Sorry folks, but it is. It doesn't get any better near the Circle K with a lot of small side streets with houses looking like 1930's shacks. Sorry, but it's true. There does not seem to be a lot of re-building, new buisnesses or money going into that area. You guys don't see that, really? If this is normal America then we have a problem. There is a feeling of slight despair in general in this area. Not safe, no jobs, gangs, and drugs.

Second, then the route goes into a much more rural area, wide open with a lot of barns, shacks, etc. It has to be very scary at night with so much open space.

Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings who has an emotional, sentimental attachment to the Lafayette area but I'd get the heck out of dodge.

So now we just wait until someone comes upon MS or she is seen?

So this is my personal opinion from my perspective and from my entirely different part of the country:

First, MS bike route via googlemaps around the Versailles/St. John area shows a city-like area. It is a semi-tired, seen-better-days area. Sorry folks, but it is. It doesn't get any better near the Circle K with a lot of small side streets with houses looking like 1930's shacks. Sorry, but it's true. There does not seem to be a lot of re-building, new buisnesses or money going into that area. You guys don't see that, really? If this is normal America then we have a problem. There is a feeling of slight despair in general in this area. Not safe, no jobs, gangs, and drugs.

Second, then the route goes into a much more rural area, wide open with a lot of barns, shacks, etc. It has to be very scary at night with so much open space.

Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings who has an emotional, sentimental attachment to the Lafayette area but I'd get the heck out of dodge.

Well...I think you're projecting. And reading a bit too much from Google Maps. Re-enacting her route takes you through a tiny percentage of Lafayette, and while she certainly starts out in the older side of town, I would hardly call this city "unsafe." Like any town there are rougher parts, sure, but again, I think you're reading too much into your tour.

Actually, Lafayette was ranked #1 best city for job growth based on enoloyment Bureau of Labor Statistics (New Geography, 2012); Best MidSize City for Jobs, Most Increasing Household Income, Top Place to Live (Relocate America, 2011); Fastest Economic Growth, Best Performing Metro, and Most Optimistic City (Gallup, 2012). You were viewing the area right outside of downtown and hasn't been revitalized mainly because theres just businesses, an historical Cathedral, jail, etc.; and isn't a great reference for you to make such judgements. Your entitled to your opinion though. One thing I don't like about Lafayette is there LE! Seems like there's a problem year after year with those guys. Then now, the timing of their stupid allegations against the Administration is worthy of getting rid of those 10 troublemakers. I comment on them out of fear for my
Safety. Their timing was extremely poor when deciding to move forward with their suit - so poor I can have no empathy for them and am outraged that they have not even told the public - take all precautions until we find out who did that to Mickey, or don't loose sleep over this, etc. I wish Joey would
just clean house and get a whOle new department!

Well...I think you're projecting. And reading a bit too much from Google Maps. Re-enacting her route takes you through a tiny percentage of Lafayette, and while she certainly starts out in the older side of town, I would hardly call this city "unsafe." Like any town there are rougher parts, sure, but again, I think you're reading too much into your tour.

Perhaps, and perhaps I am looking at it with a "fresh set of eyes" because I live no where near Lafayette. Perhaps everyone needs to bear what I wrote in mind without sentimentality or denial towards Lafayette.

Keep this in mind please.

Here's the LE update we've all been waiting so patiently for: "let us teach you how to defend yourself ladies, there's probably some creep we can't catch out on our streets. Be safe, good luck!"

'An inspiring story and interview of former FBI BAU Clint Van Zandt and founder of Live Secure.org'. Van Zandt was a child abduction victim and offers some great abduction safety tips advice'..

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...pkey=5e67b9c2-fc9e-4d9f-87b5-5c8af76345ea||||

Quick-thinking girl, 9, escapes captor

Jan. 21/2012: A brave little girl is being hailed for her courage and composure after she escaped from a man who kidnapped her and managed to summon police..

Saftey Tips Every Parent Should Know

http://www.livesecure.org/10-saftey-tips-every-parent-should-know/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads