LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the same offering in Baton Rouge when the BR Serial Killer was on the loose. Well worth it!

:cowboy: Personally, I would rather just pack heat,,,,but hubby is a naive lefty who bans firearms from our premises.

....just kind of meaning a glaring "here I am"....can't you see me coming from a mile away kind of light. The lights were on her bike....one large one on the front and a lot of reflectives.
In other words, it was not subtle, not stealth-like....it was an awkward announcement of where she was. Some might think it is a good thing, I don't agree at all.

capice?

I capice? lol
Unfortunately this is so true. Nothing like telling all where you're at!
I don't agree with all the 'here I am' either but then again I wouldn't be
riding a bike at that hour either. That's just too trusting in my opinion.
And you have to be on your toes in this world today!
I wish she had taken a ride home with BW because of the late hour and
picked the bike up the next day.

I think knowing self-defense is great...I just wonder how often a woman actually has the chance to utilize her skills if attacked unawares...

Still, everyone who is ever out and about alone should take a course. One never knows and if nothing else, the screaming they teach you may be the thing that halts the attack or summons help.

I hate to even imagine what went through Mickey's mind when she realized what was happening to her, I try not to think about it, but can't help it, and besides, she had to live it. The least others can do is endure the discomfort of imagining it. I wonder if she thought of her mace, of the people who warned her about riding alone, about her family, and her pets...or if she didn't even have time to think of anything at all, just had to try to simply react. It is horrible to think about, but this horrible thing, whatever it was, happened to her in real life, and no one was available to help her. Just like so many other victims. With all of the people on this planet, why is no one around when murderous and/or violent thugs decide to satisfy their sick urges...

Just venting...I hate that nothing seems to be happening. Not much good has ever come from the cases we've seen where LE officially ends the regular searches and waits for tips.

JMO

Another thing I'm curious about is, do P.I.s typically have confidential informants in high crime areas? In this case, do any of the investigators have this? Maybe if a certain criminal could offer up some intel into this case, any pending charges for them could be "reevaluated"? Know what I mean?

Of course, I'm sure this is VERY dangerous for the investigator, but I do wonder if that avenue has been explored...

That certainly is common and those kinds of informants usually lie. Innocent people have been terrorized by SWAT teams and gone to prison because of dirtbags looking to cut a deal.

....just kind of meaning a glaring "here I am"....can't you see me coming from a mile away kind of light. The lights were on her bike....one large one on the front and a lot of reflectives.
In other words, it was not subtle, not stealth-like....it was an awkward announcement of where she was. Some might think it is a good thing, I don't agree at all.

capice?
I didn't know that she had a light of any kind on her bike. I don't see any on her bike photo posted on this poster. Maybe I'm missing it.

http://findmickeynow.com/

Have been following this case from the beginning and just wanted to add what a great job you are all doing!

Precisely! In a street fight, particularly a fight for survival, you have to be a vicious animal. Go for the eyes. Punch in the throat. Palm to the nose. Kick out their knee caps. And obliterate their balls.

It's also very useful to learn various grappling techniques (and they usually teach you these in self defense classes) like how to escape certain common holds. Such as being grabbed from behind, being grabbed by the hair, your wrists being grabbed etc. Learn how to escape such holds easily while maintaining balance, and then use the force and momentum to go on an offensive rampage until you can get away
All true, but the main thing to remember, decide in advance what you are willing to do. If you cannot get your head around seriously damaging or killing your attacker, then go with some other approach. If you decide to fight, have no mercy, go for maximum effect, eyes, balls, vital organs, whatever. If you fight back, your object is to incapacitate your attacker, whatever that entails. Just be mentally prepared to take any action available and required to stop and disable your assailant. No mercy, no respite. Keep going until he can not attack you. It is not something you want, but it is the only course of action that may ensure your survival. Sorry to be blunt, but if it is life and death, do whatever you need to do, or submit and take your chances that way. Your life may depend on it.

Foxfire, I love your posts and especially your hammering on the Misinformation & Silence. This is really pissing me off that LPD is COMPLETELY ignoring their responsibility to the public and thereby Mickey. I detest government and this is just another example of why.

The people of Lafayette and nearby cities need to get up in arms about this case. The people of BR did during DTL's spree!

I capice? lol
Unfortunately this is so true. Nothing like telling all where you're at!
I don't agree with all the 'here I am' either but then again I wouldn't be
riding a bike at that hour either. That's just too trusting in my opinion.
And you have to be on your toes in this world today!
I wish she had taken a ride home with BW because of the late hour and
picked the bike up the next day.

You know, I was thinking of my "clown lights" statement and what you said above and it reminded me of something important A.C.I. said about how L.E. spreads misinformation for their purposes. I think it is an outmoded tactic as he has said so too. We all can access the internet and be another set of eyes and ears so why not utilize that to the fullest capacity. Too much information even if it isn't relevant is better than not enough---yep, you have to weed through it all but at least there's a chance of solving things instead of all of these unsolved cases lingering about.
Society and technology changes and so should the methods we use to handle things.
Reflectives and "clown lights" just simply give perps the advantage---in my opinion. They see you coming and you don't see them. Maybe it was a good idea decades ago but not in our current environment.

Every time I log on I hope there will be new and exciting news. I read the posts I have missed and then refresh, hoping there will be new news.

I hope tomorrrow, well today actually is the day for new and exciting news.

I really want to hear Nancy Grace yell "Bombshell Tonight!!! Missing co-ed MS has been located! She is healthy and happy to be back home...."

Good Nite, y'all,
K

LPD is lead. FBI was "assisting" and lending "resources" which could simply mean one lab tech and a forensics kit. But LPD is the lead agency

I realize I'm way behind reading this, but do you know the protocol for such things... meaning, does the LPD have to specifically request the FBI's assistance to get it? Are they refusing to ask for more help due to pride or old ways? They are in over their heads, but refuse to ask the public or the FBI for more help?! Say it ain't so!

It's possible but if it happened at Artmosphere, IMO it would have (probably) "hit her" sometime while she was still with BW! Especially since she would have ingested it on an empty stomach!

It depends on what she might have been given though.

From experience after a date rape drug was slipped into a drink, it would of hit her much sooner as would other drugs. I don't think the timeline would fit for something at Artmosphere.

It made me extremely nauseous but I rapidly went to not being able to move thus you are completely helpless. I did consider that maybe something from Taco Bell was given to her, but am not sure of the timeline.

It is one of the reasons that I have questioned the not feeling well aspect.

What a creepy, depressing, torturous bike route that was when I re-enacted it via googlemaps.

I would not do that awful ride during the daytime let alone at 2am with just mace and a clown light.

That being said, she must have felt a tad threatened to feel the need to have the above items.

Not trying to blame the victim (been there) but seriously someone needed to get her into a more realistic mode of thinking beyond "naivete" and invincibility common at that age. :banghead:

I thought it was spooky, too. Not so much in the daytime but imagining it at night. Then there was the talk that she would have headed to that bike path in the open field area and that was scary, too.

The thing is, unless it's mid day, busy city, every place starts to look creepy in this context. There's that link that's been posted of the girl riding in Hawaii on a beautiful coastal road who was murdered, in the afternoon. It's like everything is off limits.

From experience after a date rape drug was slipped into a drink, it would of hit her much sooner as would other drugs. I don't think the timeline would fit for something at Artmosphere.

It made me extremely nauseous but I rapidly went to not being able to move thus you are completely helpless. I did consider that maybe something from Taco Bell was given to her, but am not sure of the timeline.

It is one of the reasons that I have questioned the not feeling well aspect.

She ate at BW's...after returning from Taco Bell the timeline doesn't add up... At least not for me "medically" speaking...

Unless something just didn't agree with her because she was already feeling ill...
who knows!

capice?

Yes, and see how messed up that is? People light up their bikes so they get don't get hit by cars, yet it announces you to every creep out there.

I had a bike when I was young and practically never rode it because I was afraid of cars. I've three people hit by cars. One died, one was crippled for life and in a coma for a year, and one got a destroyed knee.

Been lurking, not much to say. Seems like you guys have covered every possible scenario of that night. Thanks again to all of you who cared enough to devote time to try to piece Mickey's story together. I keep hoping for good news, new evidence, any news at all...refreshing local sites, waiting to hear something about our Mickey, wanting an answer. Every mailbox and tree in her neighborhood has a big yellow bow tied around it. But people have moved on to "newer" news stories. People can't just forget about her, about what happened to her. How can life just go on after something like this happens? Since we don't have any clue of the circumstances I'm afraid to let my kids out of the house. Just doesn't make sense, it's very disheartening. We were in the store today and a lady had one of Mickey's t-shirts on, the one with her photos and the "Missing" message on it. My 3 year old yells--"Look, Mom, it's Mickey!" and my heart fell to my toes. I turned only to see that she saw Mickey's picture on the shirt. "Maybe she knows where Mickey is?" she says with her little eyes filled with hope. What do you say to that?
Where are you, Mickey?

I want to say it is way more likely to be killed or hurt by a car accidentally hitting you than to be abducted. I would have to look up exact stats, but I get why bicyclists and runners light themselves up when running or biking at night. Just on my university campus we have had multiple cases this year of a car accidentally hitting someone who didn't have any reflectors or lights on them. I guess sometimes you prepare for the statistically more likely thing to happen to you and logically you want people to see where you are when you are biking/running on roads at night. Of course, it is unfortunate that in this case it may have made her a target :(

Been lurking, not much to say. Seems like you guys have covered every possible scenario of that night. Thanks again to all of you who cared enough to devote time to try to piece Mickey's story together. I keep hoping for good news, new evidence, any news at all...refreshing local sites, waiting to hear something about our Mickey, wanting an answer. Every mailbox and tree in her neighborhood has a big yellow bow tied around it. But people have moved on to "newer" news stories. People can't just forget about her, about what happened to her. How can life just go on after something like this happens? Since we don't have any clue of the circumstances I'm afraid to let my kids out of the house. Just doesn't make sense, it's very disheartening. We were in the store today and a lady had one of Mickey's t-shirts on, the one with her photos and the "Missing" message on it. My 3 year old yells--"Look, Mom, it's Mickey!" and my heart fell to my toes. I turned only to see that she saw Mickey's picture on the shirt. "Maybe she knows where Mickey is?" she says with her little eyes filled with hope. What do you say to that?
Where are you, Mickey?

Oh my gosh, how heartbreaking.

ACI you indicated that whatever happened to the POI's family member happened about 10 years ago. Wasn't that about the same time that DTL was on the loose?

DTL didn't abduct/kill any kids that we are aware. But yes, same time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3