LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If enough locals made enough "noise" about the lack of information regarding Mickey, and how LE is coming across as incompetent and uncaring, would they be willing to offer a news conference just to assure us they are looking - where they have searched, where they need to search - any leads they can share? I can't believe they are saying NOTHING AT ALL - not even a "hello, how are ya doin'"................

I've been reading this forum since MS went missing, so I guess i'm not really "new" but this is the first time i've posted anything.

i believe that JL and MS disappearances are related. i think that, assuming these two people who were just arrested (Sanchez and Speaks) are responsible for JL's disappearance, they are also responsible for MS's disappearance. the PI in MS's case said he believed there were two people involved. people have asked several times how someone could be so stupid as to discard JL's body in the way it was discarded because it washed ashore. i think they discarded JL's body this way because it worked for them before and they assumed that it would work again. i think they may have done the same thing to MS and its been over 3 weeks and nothing has been found and that gave them confidence. i think this is related to the other dancer who was found deceased who worked at a club off of or on bourbon st. i can't recall her name just now. this speaks guy worked at a club off bourbon and the sanchez girl also worked in the quarter. i believe i read that she worked at stiletto's?? correct me if i'm wrong about that. i noticed that speaks had warrants in california and north carolina. these are areas, like nola, that are by large water bodies. i believe very strongly that these cases are connected, fwiw. (this is all my opinion from putting things together from these cases.) i hope i'm not breaking any WS rules or anything with the content of this post. (first time posting)

Now 12 days (and counting) since last LPD update on their Shunick page.

Exactly how not to keep the public involved.

No. Kidding. I was SO hopeful when it was announced about the descriptions, and that wasn't even announced by LE. Maybe they are in way over their heads and simply don't have anything.

Excellent first post, lawlyworm. Welcome to WS.

I'm sure the local media has sources (or could get a source) within the Lafayette PD. Why haven't there been "leaks" of info?

If enough locals made enough "noise" about the lack of information regarding Mickey, and how LE is coming across as incompetent and uncaring, would they be willing to offer a news conference just to assure us they are looking - where they have searched, where they need to search - any leads they can share? I can't believe they are saying NOTHING AT ALL - not even a "hello, how are ya doin'"................

Honestly I don't think it would make a difference. But, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try. Where do I sign up?

In reference to the bones found in Henderson, TX...not to bring up anything morbid, but there's no way those could belong to MS right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it too early for that degree of decomposition? It prolly wasn't even implied that those might be her, but I just wanted to know what the opinion was on that. I pray there hasn't been enough time and this isn't a possibility. Even though it doesn't look good as far as her being recovered alive (honestly I've had a bad gut feeling from the get-go)...I'm still trying to ignore that and think positive in hoping she miraculously appears!!!

A little more about the bones that were found ~ Henderson County Texas news (near Tool) had a blurb about 'human remains' found 'last week'. That newsbit was published on June 4th. Therefore, 'last week', is anywhere from May 28 to June 1, either 9 to 13 or so days after Mickey disappeared on May 19th.

What's interesting is that the first article I saw affiliated with LA news, described the findings as being human bones and no date was referenced. The article from Henderson County news describes the findings as 'human remains'. Not sure if that means anything.

I looked on a map to see how far away the location is from Lafayette and it's southeast of Dallas, north and then a little west from Lafa.

Call for theories!

After lawlyworm got us started (see above) it's a good idea on threads which have become "stuck" for posters to explain their scenarios about what they think has happened to Mickey.

I'd start but I have no idea. Other than maybe there's something missing in the earliest accounts. But that's just a hunch. No idea what.

Lexy Jones and Tanya Thibodeaux are both endangered runaways from Lafayette. At least once a week I look for information on these girls. They are both petite (under 5'3). They have also seemed to simply disappear. March 30 and April 21 are the missing dates. March, April, May...dang.

These statistics can be misleading, though. Your post doesn't separate violent crime from property crimes, which are annoying, but not necessarily dangerous. Further, how much of that crime is random and how much can be attributed to domestic abuse, drug crime, etc.?? I think how people feel in their community is a better measure of its safety than a number.

Well said! I feel extremely safe when out and about in my community and surrounding areas. Recently I got a flat tire and pulled off the highway, before I could shut the engine off I had a nice gentleman come to my aid. The people here are quick to lend a hand expecting nothing in return. I have to believe that people are fundamentally good. We need to be alert and aware of our surroundings but we can't live in fear.

IDK :) I'm not local.

Okay, for the locals here. Should we call? Write letters? Email? Show up at the PD? Would they just shoo us away? I think we are supposed to have faith in them to do their job, and that appears to be what Charlie wants the public to do, but I do understand those who are saying it would be nice to at least hear from them periodically.

Okay, for the locals here. Should we call? Write letters? Email? Show up at the PD? Would they just shoo us away? I think we are supposed to have faith in them to do their job, and that appears to be what Charlie wants the public to do, but I do understand those who are saying it would be nice to at least hear from them periodically.

Maybe we all need to call/write letters/fax to the newspapers, radio stations - whatever media is available. Make flyers asking people to help solve Mickey's case since LE isn't - complain to the mayor, La representatives, senators in addition to the police dept???

ETA - am I sounding desperate - anxious - SCARED for MS?

The thing is, crime stats have been hashed, rehashed and heated up, on this thread already, many times. And what is the point? There is NO place in the USA IMO that would be safe riding a bike alone at 2am.
JMO

So many possibilities...

-jealous/scorned wannabe love interest
-jealous/scorned former love interest of a person MS had recently begun seeing
-methodically planned abduction by a stalker who lived in the immediate vicinity of her known route
-methodically planned abduction by someone inside or connected to her social circle
-Tonya Harding-esque hit on a "rival" in the area of horses
-pure crime of opportunity, where a completely random bump & grab occurred
-accidental bump and subsequent cover-up grab
-drug deal gone bad
-criminal killed her after (s)he saw that she witnessed him/her committing a crime

Etc.

Oh, and I forgot one:

-mowed down in front of Circle K, didn't move forward so much as an inch, left no trace of blood, skin, hair, or any of her belongings, un-heard by any of the known onlookers, left no scratches, gouges, etc. on pavement, yet her bike only sustained tire damage which her sister described as not being major.:banghead:

I guess I'm still going with the rear tire bump and grab & go. I don't think it was planned - crime of opportunity but committed by a perp who'd offended sexually before. Knew enough to leave no trace of a crime scene. (Well, that we know of.) Organized approach.

Yikes! When I saw Henderson along I-10 east of Lafayette, I thought oh no! I hadn't noticed the location was in Texas because all the other articles have to do with LA. Also, as a local would know, the county versus parish indicator didn't stand out to me.
Thanks for catching my error so soon - so I don't cause false fear or hope, however one would look at it.

The area where the bones were found is not far from where I live in E. Tx. We also have a Henderson, Tx. but it's in Rusk Co. And a Rusk, Tx. which is in Cherokee Co. Proabably a few more counties and towns with the same name.
But I think they determined these bones had been there quite a while and they were somewhat scattered. They didn't even find the complete skeleton, AFAIK.

Maybe we all need to call/write letters/fax to the newspapers, radio stations - whatever media is available. Make flyers asking people to help solve Mickey's case since LE isn't - complain to the mayor, La representatives, senators in addition to the police dept???

ETA - am I sounding desperate - anxious - SCARED for MS?

Okay I'm working on emailing all possible media outlets. Anyone want to start a contact list, or are we allowed to post that here? So far I have:

KATC, KLFY, The Advertiser/Times of Acadiana, KPEL, BIA. Still looking up email addresses for the rest.

I still think it was someone she knew - don't think it was a hit and grab. I think she got into someone's vehicle/truck/whatever because she felt safe. The reasons I feel this way is that MS was tiny, but I have a feeling she was a spitfire. She was obviously in good shape since she biked everywhere. She could have made quite a lot of noise if she was assaulted/grabbed on a public street - not to mention how unsafe that would be for the perp since the chance of being seen would be high.

One other thing, I think it's possible that some people "out there" have people on their own radars, but perhaps don't feel comfortable giving up their names.

OTOH - if it is connected with a serial killer, I'll be surprised, but LAWLYWORM sure made a good case for it. Made me think, for the first time, that it's a possibiliy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx