LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the word you are looking for is "micro" since you have never been here and base your entire opinion on a 4 year old satellite capture from google maps. Where are you from by the way? Not one bad street in your whole town eh? The areas you are referring to are miniscule in comparisson to the beautiful parts of the city. I've been pretty much everywhere in the US and Lafayette is one of the safest most colorful places I've ever been. So much beautiful landscaping and architecture. The rural areas and shacks are far and in between...don't know what you are referring to there. And let me say, the actual "rural" areas in the surrounding towns are extremely safe in comparisson to urban locations everywhere. I grew up on a farm myself (after moving here from Atlanta) and I absolutely loved it. I'm so glad I got such a well rounded childhood, getting to experience city life and nature first hand. We played outside, we weren't glued to the tv, we lived for adventure and we learned how to form our own opinions without basing it entirely on the mainstream media. The majority of people here are so wonderful. If we get an outsider at work my co-workers jump tp make them feel at home, are truly interested in learning about where they are from and bring them heaping bowls of food. It is not only family oriented here, but we make new people feel at home here as well. To be honest I havent seen that hardly anywhere.

The reason such a huge volunteer effort came from absolute strangers for Mickey is because A. nothing like that ever happens here and B. we genuinely care about our neighbor's well-being

There is much more to a town than a screen shot. You might want to think about that before telling people to "get the heck out of dodge".
Can't find the "Thanks" button, so I want to tell you "Very well said"! Unfortunately people form opinions of all sorts of places without knowing much, and I've noticed it happens a great deal to us in the south.

I lived in Alaska and women disappeared all the time. A hotel employee attempted to abduct my then 15 month old daughter. No place is safe.

Wow, District11, glad it was only an attempt and no place is exempt. Due to my research, I contacted one of the commenters; an attempted victim of Hansen's. She said that she knew/worked with many of his victims and that he used various rouses to lure them to the forest. Very enlightening conversation.
The abductor of Meredith Emerson, actually participated in the production of a movie; Deadly Run/hunting humans, which was based on Hansen's life, in 1994, which was 14 years before GMH's arrest.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJosMwx1uxc"]DEADLY RUN trailer - YouTube[/ame]

They said they lurk on this forum (WS) and that I reminded them of someone on here who constantly tries to guess what kind of truck it is.

AND THAT TRUCK WAS SO CLOSE!:banghead:

Oh my! Maybe you should invest in something like this for when you go sleuthing:

stock-photo-14933640-funny-glasses.jpg

Moving from last thread

I agree. Only if everyone is open carrying.

But my thoughts on open carry differ

If I'm a robber and an open carry person is maybe in the bank or whatever establishment I'm robbing and I see that open carry gun. That's the first person I shoot.

So, I'd rather conceal carry.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Me too. Hell hath no fury like a packing woman... Or something like that, right? :rocker:

Oh my! Maybe you should invest in something like this for when you go sleuthing:

stock-photo-14933640-funny-glasses.jpg

I waited around and took their vehicle plate number/make/model/color...etc...

Juuuuust in case...

Wow, District11, glad it was only an attempt and no place is exempt. Due to my research, I contacted one of the commenters; an attempted victim of Hansen's. She said that she knew/worked with many of his victims and that he used various rouses to lure them to the forest. Very enlightening conversation.
The abductor of Meredith Emerson, actually particiupated in the production of a movie; Deadly Run/hunting humans, which was based on Hansen's life, in94, which was 14 years before his GMH's arrest.

DEADLY RUN trailer - YouTube

Oh my!

Looks like it's time to pack up and move to Alaska where, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd." ha ha

A little less OT:
For all you Louisiana people...how do you say Louisiana? I grew up in East Texas and used to live in Shreveport and have always said Lose-E-ana.

But it seems as a lot of people from Louisiana say La-weezy-ana.

Lifelong resident of south LA and PROUD CAJUN (who recognizes that the world isn't safe but is offended by some of these statements about my area), we say La-weezy-ana

Show me one single city in the Us with no crime. I'll pack my bags tonight.
Lafayette is a special and diverse city. My ex husband played football at USL there and we spent many weekends visiting, eating crawfish etouffe, oysters, boudin, alligator, often having a drink at the bars around the university. The food, the ambience and the people of the Lafayette/Opelousas area cannot be matched. It's not for everybody, but it is a normal place with the normal makeup of good and bad people. My daddy used to tell me nothing good happens after midnight anywhere, and when I grew up and had my own kids I realized how true that statement is. You can't blame Lafayette for Mickey's disappearance. You CAN blame a sick, perverted and sociopathic person, the kind who exists everywhere. They walk among us.

Lafayette is a soecial and diverse city. My ex husband played football at USL there and we spent many weekends visiting, eating crawfish etouffe, having a drink at the bars around the university. The food, the ambience and the people of the Lafayette/Opelousas area cannot be matched. It's not for everybody, but it is a normal place with the normal makeup of good and bad people. My daddy used to tell me nothing good happens after midnight anywhere, and when I grew up and had my own kids i realized how true that statement is. You can't blame Lafayette for Mickey's disappearance. You CAN blame a sick, perverted and sociopathic person, the kind who exists everywhere. They walk among us.

I do believe there is a town in Wyoming with a population of one...

Violent Crimes in Lafayette did indeed increase after Katrina; in fact, they spiked:

lafayette-violent-crime-per-capita.png

Something of interest as well is the statistic which shows distribution (geographical) of (all) crimes:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/lafayette/crime/

Clearly locals who know these areas understand why some areas are blue, and others are white(ish).

Uh, DANG! I HAD NO FREAKIN' IDEA!!! Looks to me like things were terrible even before Katrina though:(

When pronouncing "Louisiana"...think of the name "Louise". You wouldn't pronounce it "loose" just like you don't pronounce Louisiana as Loosiana. And also, New Orleans is pronounced "New Or-lens" with emphasis on the first syllable (not "New Orleeens"). I've been guilty of misspronounciation myself...so no offense taken...unless its on purpose ;)

Lafayette is a special and diverse city. My ex husband played football at USL there and we spent many weekends visiting, eating crawfish etouffe, oysters, boudin, alligator, often having a drink at the bars around the university. The food, the ambience and the people of the Lafayette/Opelousas area cannot be matched. It's not for everybody, but it is a normal place with the normal makeup of good and bad people. My daddy used to tell me nothing good happens after midnight anywhere, and when I grew up and had my own kids I realized how true that statement is. You can't blame Lafayette for Mickey's disappearance. You CAN blame a sick, perverted and sociopathic person, the kind who exists everywhere. They walk among us.

Perfectly said!! :great:

Maybe most of the crime is "petty" but I think that petty crime can make people feel unsafe. Armed robbery makes me feel unsafed. Knowing my house was robbed in the daytime makes me feel unsafe. It's better than being murdered, but it is still an indicator of how a town is doing. Even if it's just confined to certain neighborhoods, the only way that doesn't matter is to basically disown those parts of the town and never go there, does not really solve the problem or change the facts. Just because it never affects you personally in your neighborhood doesn't mean it's not happening to others in the same town. I've been watching the crime stats (they're public) and the number of rapes and shooting shocked me.

I don't know if this article is exaggerated but 3 on a scale from 1 to 100 is really quite astonishing.

I just wonder what the purpose is of hammering into everyone's heads how unsafe it is there? I mean, we aren't asking if WE should or shouldn't go riding around at 2am on our bikes. It's not going to solve the case if every Lou-wee-zee-anian agrees that we live in a crime filled, unsafe place, right?

I guess there's just nothing else to talk about in regards to this case. IDK but it seems seriously pointless.

When pronouncing "Louisiana"...think of the name "Louise". You wouldn't pronounce it "loose" just like you don't pronounce Louisiana as Loosiana. And also, New Orleans is pronounced "New Or-lens" with emphasis on the first syllable (not "New Orleeens"). I've been guilty of misspronounciation myself...so no offense taken...unless its on purpose ;)

No offense taken here either! Just discussing. :) I hear what you are saying about the pronunciation, but this is the English language we are talking about, and not everything is spelled and pronounced the way it should be, phonetically speaking. :waitasec:

I'm wondering if it's regional. My mom was born and raised in Shreveport and she says Loosiana. And in East Texas where we lived most people say Loosiana.

Maybe most of the crime is "petty" but I think that petty crime can make people feel unsafe. Armed robbery makes me feel unsafed. Knowing my house was robbed in the daytime makes me feel unsafe. It's better than being murdered, but it is still an indicator of how a town is doing. Even if it's just confined to certain neighborhoods, the only way that doesn't matter is to basically disown those parts of the town and never go there, does not really solve the problem or change the facts. Just because it never affects you personally in your neighborhood doesn't mean it's not happening to others in the same town. I've been watching the crime stats (they're public) and the number of rapes and shooting shocked me.

I don't know if this article is exaggerated but 3 on a scale from 1 to 100 is really quite astonishing.

After reading (especially on the Description tab) it is astonishing. But, I know what I've experienced and friends/family have, so this leads me to believe there is much more going on in the bad neighborhoods that you'd think, especially looking at the shaded areas on the map. My area is dark blue. Doesn't mean things are perfect of course, but it does show which areas are "safer" than others.

No offense taken here either! Just discussing. :) I hear what you are saying about the pronunciation, but this is the English language we are talking about, and not everything is spelled and pronounced the way it should be, phonetically speaking. :waitasec:

I'm wondering if it's regional. My mom was born and raised in Shreveport and she says Loosiana. And in East Texas where we lived most people say Loosiana.

I've heard people say "Miz-sippi" too, and New Joisy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee