LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not surprise me. Only a few weeks ago I was out with a couple of girlfriends at a local bar, all of which fit these descriptions. The bar is Not a place you would happen to pass by if you made a quick stop off the interstate.

Well, everyone knows everyone in this bar so it was obvious that we had a 'stranger' among us. He was an average, 40ish, fairly muscular guy...dressed casual but nice. He bought the bar of ten or so patrons a drink. My friends and I yelled down a quick thanks. When the man passed us to use the restroom he stopped on the way back and we thanked him again. He continued to make the typical "I'm not from here" small talk. Just passing through town on business.

Seemed like a very nice guy. We were very at ease with him. It was getting late and he asked us to accompany him to a local diner that is near the interstate. One of my friends was quick to say yes but I said no way and convinced her to decline as well. He hugged us bye and left. My friend owns the bar so we stayed a few more hours.

As we were leaving in the wee morning hours I realized my cell phone was gone. Had been on the bar all night. Thought for sure someone accidentally threw it away or took it by mistake. Sure enough... Couple weeks later received a package in the mail from the same town this guy was from. The phone screen was cracked. No note. No idea how he had my address. Very creepy. I wonder what would have happened to us had we gone with him.

Sorry for the long story! People that drive around the country for work scare me sometimes.

I would be very worried if he had your address. Let's hope he gave it to your cell phone provider in his community and they mailed it for you.

LA

Why did the dogs come in so late? Did they have to come in from out of town?

Wish you could buy tracking dogs like you can a purse! I would be all over the place looking for people. Seems like it is such an ordeal to get them out to a location. Not blaming LE...just the process.

Alright, been gone all day. My post this morning was very short and I need to say something that maybe hasn't been said.

We are looking at 3 different white trucks. Yes, I know. Worst fear ever = confirmed.

The one on St. Landry looks like a Ford Ranger.

The one in front of Circle K looks like a Chevy/GMC 2500HD/3500HD Non-Dually.

The one in front of LCG is the 2009 - 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 I've been MobyDicking.

My main issue with this, and most others, is if you want an ID...you have to tell us what to look for. I've heard a lot of different stories about how these VOIs came forward and were ruled out. I've read ONE not two white trucks were eliminated.

I know I can't be nuts here. I've looked at these photos, and looked at the products in person. I've taken a billion pictures of the trucks (dealership) in person. You can't expect me to believe that two of those trucks are the same, because they're not.

Currently, I am assembling a cornucopia of facts to which I will have accompanying photos. Then and only then, maybe LE will come forward and say, "Maybe there is a third truck."

Which pics are you looking at? Not putting that rudely, I just wanna take a peek because my friend drives a Ford Ranger that's white, so I could easily recognize a truck of that make/model. Thanks!

ITA with your first scenario. But your second scenario makes a lot of sense, too. It would be the easiest method for the perp, having privacy and time on his/her side.

So would that mean, with the second scenario, that it wasn't Mickey in particular they wanted to grab? Because how would they know for sure when and if her route would take her there?

That is exactly why I didn't. I remember everything and am quite observant. He told me three major things...his first name, the city he lives in and the type of product he sells. That was enough for me to track him down. I know more about him than he does me at this point! I have the envelope put away. It does baffle me as to why he returned the phone.

If he lived locally I would have contacted LE. But...knowing there is nothing they will do other than question him, left it alone. Maybe I got lucky that night. Don't want to aggravate him or remind him of me.

Hopefully, if he targets another victim, she'll be as lucky as you.....

If the hunting & fishing camps in the area of Whiskey Bay, haven't been thoroughly checked out, this is a deficiency, imo. From my experience, most folks will gladly give permission to have them searched. Who knows, maybe by contacting the owners, info of suspicious cars or activity during the week between Mickey's abduction & the bike discovery will be revealed.

I agree, the community has really taken in the Shunicks as family. Mickey is "our girl". If I owned a camp, I would willingly open it up.

LA

The DWT could have avoided a camera on University by being on parkside and going from parkside to university. It still would have had to pass in front of the LCG but maybe it did so REALLY FAST?

To my knowledge, no one has been able to obtain the refresh rate (how often it takes a picture) of the L.C.G camera across from the Circle K.

This is an extremely important piece of information.

Luck would have it that the camera's on City Hall. Any other location, I'm sure the owner would oblige with the info.

IIRC, A.C.I got shut down when he asked.

A.C.I??

Alright, been gone all day. My post this morning was very short and I need to say something that maybe hasn't been said.

We are looking at 3 different white trucks. Yes, I know. Worst fear ever = confirmed.

The one on St. Landry looks like a Ford Ranger.

The one in front of Circle K looks like a Chevy/GMC 2500HD/3500HD Non-Dually.

The one in front of LCG is the 2009 - 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 I've been MobyDicking.

My main issue with this, and most others, is if you want an ID...you have to tell us what to look for. I've heard a lot of different stories about how these VOIs came forward and were ruled out. I've read ONE not two white trucks were eliminated.

I know I can't be nuts here. I've looked at these photos, and looked at the products in person. I've taken a billion pictures of the trucks (dealership) in person. You can't expect me to believe that two of those trucks are the same, because they're not.

Currently, I am assembling a cornucopia of facts to which I will have accompanying photos. Then and only then, maybe LE will come forward and say, "Maybe there is a third truck."

Yes three trucks, and that's not including white big nose round eyes, opposite the Olds 98. I'm calling that Dodge (PT cruiser or..) /Jeep Liberty.

Today I saw a new 4 cylinder Chevy truck from the front and then the back and it looked exactly like the "yellow" truck. Light duty, almost has a Nike Swoosh in the way the passenger compartment curls back, low to the ground, much lower than the bosses truck the z71 which won't fit wall board on the flat, or the truck traveling opposite Mickey that they sais was the same as z71 but isn't.. I have not heard the LaPd say anything helpful yet. Why is that?

Could grips get mangled'/come off if bike scooted across the concrete? Oh man, it almost makes me want to risk a heated discussion and email an old friend who is a bicycle mechanic.

LA

I would imagine they would be pretty mangled depending on how much dragging was involved. It might also explain why there was no scraping or scarring on the roadway if she was hit in the area Chicken and ACI examined. They could have acted as a buffer to prevent the handlebars from digging into the asphalt.

Why is the picture of Mickey passing the Circle K so clear, yet the truck photo looks so distorted? Is the truck moving faster?

My opinion is that the truck was going very fast when it was behind Mickey. I even thought that maybe some of the indescribable 'stuff' we see under and around that truck is dust being blown up when hey slammed on their brakes. A fast brake could even account or the trucks shift to the left. No skid marks in the daytime pic but there aren't always skid marks. My brother just totaled a car in an accident. Someone ran a stop sign and couldn't stop fast enough. No skid marks at all.

Which pics are you looking at? Not putting that rudely, I just wanna take a peek because my friend drives a Ford Ranger that's white, so I could easily recognize a truck of that make/model. Thanks!

This one.

Attachments

• url2.jpg
    url2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 34
What?? :waitasec:

He came home on Sunday.....:what:

Omg maybe I am wrong, I thought I read somewhere he came home early Sat morn. Sorry I know everyone likes links.

The reason the grips came up is because the police spokesman brought it up first...at the press conference after the bike was found.

At that press conference the police spokesman said that the bike and the handgrips had been found. A reporter noticed how the spokesperson worded it and asked him whether the grips and bike were separated when they were found. There is a transcript of that press conference in one of these threads.
That is my recollection too. I'm two pages behind so hopefully someone has found that presser and linked it.

I think it struck me because I believe this perp is either damn lucky or very intelligent and organized or both. This crime seems well planned out, maybe the perp even knew where cameras are. And if this is an intelligent planner this person could have fixated on MS and been planning this for a while.
I agree. I am besieged with thoughts in my head, thinking this PERP could have driven to lafayette from who knows where; hung out in an abandoned house on Parkside used iphone or droid or internet to determine camera location. And possibly had several white blonde woman targeted (not just MS) and when he was ready boom....

SO I think other women in this area should be petrified. That either the PERP was in cahoots with other people and those other people could do something similar.

IT was very bold of him to take a fit woman. If he can get away with that, he can take our elderly parents and our young kids.

This PERP has to be found.

That is really scary! I would have taken the phone and package it came in to LE and demanded it be tested for fingerprints. If he knows how to send it to you he would also know how to find you. Be careful Please!

I would be very surprised if LE and/or Equusearch didn't go through those. A.C.I. said he went up there and checked out camps, as well.

I just got the impression that LE did not want to reveal anything about the condition of the bike...I did not take it for granted that yes, the grips were removed but near the bike. But JMO.

It could take several minutes. The people don't have a credit card and have to go in to pay for gas but there are people ahead of them, maybe they have to use the bathroom, buy cigarettes, something to drink, plus pump gas, etc. There could be many reasons why the cars would still be there.

I agree. When I go home to Louisiana, I have to slow down. Nothing is done fast. People talk a lot more, walk slower, take their time. I could easily see how five minutes could pass talking about someone's cousin or brother. ;)

La

I doubt 5 minutes was the time frame. A third car appears in another photo. Would the two other cars in the circle K be hanging out for 5 minutes? 5 minutes seems like a long time to be at a gas station. IMHO....

Depends on how much gas you are getting I guess. Only one car is there the entire duration. To me that proves how quickly it did happen.

Can those of us on the ground meet in Lafayette next week, if conceivable or allowable, for coffee somewhere, to discuss a more positive way to help this case. Is anyone planning a vigil, á la Critical Mass bike run following her path, women's groups on campus, etc, awareness something, business/street camera revamp for city council? Something concrete & positive instead of where this appears to be unfortunately headed?
I am available.

If the break lights were on..either something happened? or the truck was slowing down to see if they knew anyone hanging out at the Circle K-which would mean that that truck had to be local...thinking out loud.

Or local and knew about the bump there and anticipating it by slowing down, or even worse slowing down to follow her.

LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member