LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine they would be pretty mangled depending on how much dragging was involved. It might also explain why there was no scraping or scarring on the roadway if she was hit in the area Chicken and ACI examined. They could have acted as a buffer to prevent the handlebars from digging into the asphalt.

What about the pedals? Was the bike sliding along the asphalt on it's hand grip? :waitasec:

I doubt 5 minutes was the time frame. A third car appears in another photo. Would the two other cars in the circle K be hanging out for 5 minutes? 5 minutes seems like a long time to be at a gas station. IMHO....

At night, gas station clerks in Lafayette can be verrrry sloooooow. Especially if there are a few people in line, or there's a shift-change or drawer change-out, or someone is drunk and taking a long time to decide.

Thanks for posting this. It reminded me to ask someone who rides a bike. When my children were young and rode their bikes, they sometimes wanted to change the grips. Those suckers were hard as heck to remove. My husband had to use oil or WD-40 to get them off-I couldn't do it. Are the grips now easier to remove than they were back say 12-30 years ago?

I dont know. I will consider sending a text. Getting crap from an old Luv is worth it for the cause. ;) Seeing as how he once lived in Lafayette, and is a rider he might help.

La

Au contrarie. I spoke with John Douglas, a retired FBI profiler, who was giving a talk (he had written a book) in the Bay Area around the time of the Scott Peterson trial. I asked Mr. Douglas about profiling of serial killers especially (Zodiac Killer, EARS/ONS) and he said the MO seldom changes from crime to crime, that the usual SK is a white male in his thirties. I pointed out the Zodiac used a gun, he also murdered with a knife, and Mr. Douglas replied that the Zodiac didn't change his MO, only weapons. SKs get caught by slipping up, often times not intentionally. The guy who murdered all those farm workers in California during the 1960s (Juan Corona) was caught because a business card fell out of his shirt while burying one of his victims. Bingo! Sorry to go o/t.

Annie1004, John Douglas, one of the founders of the FBI BSU (1974: The Behavioral Science Unit, had the ability to get into the heads of the predator as well as the victim/s; a remarkable profiler, imo. He was aware that the clues & residue, left at the crime scene & ritual grounds of predators/SKs, weren't visibly obvious to the seasoned homicide investigator; 'love, rage, hatred, fear, evil'...

John Douglas, Roger L. Depue, etc., worked in an era without the investigative resources available today such as; FBI VICAP, DNA/Forensics, CODIS, NAMUS, RSO databanks, internet/communications, etc. NCIC, was established in 1967,

Even with these resources, sexual predators & serial killers remain stealth for years or decades. Imo, many serial killers & sexual predators have evolved, become forensically aware, and have become more numerous. jmho

Yes... Because of the timeline. When the story originally came out in my area, Nancy Grace perhaps, it seemed implied that she passed the Circle K at 1:47. The white truck at 1:48. I feel like we were led to believe that the same truck passed again going in the opposite direction within 3-4 minutes. Being that it was the last time she was seen...seemed logical that the truck either hit or grabbed her that fast.
On LPD's website, the file name of the truck has 0151 in it. I think it is the unofficial timestamp.

This is awesome, especially for us out of towners. Why wouldnt M just take Congress home, looks like a straight shot?

In the Lauren Spierer case there was a detailed map created by a member and it showed all potential camera locations by street. It was awesome. Unfortuantely not the smoking gun but it helped build a time frame scenario. Maybe that should be protocol with the Missing. That is how the public can help by identifying the surrounding area and looking for potential video coverage and encouraging the bus or res to hand it over to the authorities. It is in everybody's best interest since it is a community. The cops are busy so instead of bashing them they should give the community tasks that help but wont impede the prosecution process.

That part of Congress goes by the south side of the "'hood," a very bad part of town called "The Block," and also doesn't have a bike path. She avoided it for safety's sake.

cluciano63, that's the conundrum; you can't rule them in, nor can you rule them out. This is common when stranger abductions occur. Seems with each unsolved abduction of another innocent victim, the occurance only escalates. Not because it is the same predators, but because it empowers others to act out their evil fantasies.

Ironically, the FBI redefined the definition of serial killer a few years ago & reduced the number of victims from 'three, to only two'.
Still scratching my head over this decision. This combined with the psychopathic behavior caused by many drugs has increased the number of serial killers astronomically, imo.

FBI — Serial Murder

www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

To address these discrepancies, attendees at the Serial Murder Symposium examined the variations in order to develop a single definition for serial murder.
That is interesting. That timing corresponds to the American Psychiatric Association's revision of their DSM4 manual for diagnosis of psychiatric disorders.

I disagree that there is more evidence that points toward the truck running Mickey over, than not.

On the side of Mickey not being under the truck:

1. The laws of physics.

2. Luminol applied by A.C.I, who personally inspected the asphalt.

3. The idea of LE releasing to the public a still of Mickey under truck.

4. The idea of the family seeing her run over and acting like they are.

5. The idea of completely concealing from the public that a truck ran her over, instead of coming out and saying, "hey, this truck ran Mickey over - we need to find it!

6. The people at the gas station hearing/seeing nothing.

7. The distortion caused by the plexiglass globe surrounding the camera.

8. The distortion from taking a still frame the low-budget video system that makes the front part of the truck abruptly higher - evidenced by the broken line of the front of the roof above the windshield.

9. The pristine, freshly laid asphalt without a single scratch, whick I personally inspected.

10. The fact that LE is not loudly splashing that truck everywhere, and telling people to look for damage.

On the side of Mickey being under the truck:

1. Looking at a badly pixelated, distorted still frame from a video - NOT from a still camera.
Do we have a standing ovation smiley? These will have to do:

:rocker::woohoo::rocker::woohoo::fence::rocker: :woohoo:

Or local and knew about the bump there and anticipating it by slowing down, or even worse slowing down to follow her.

LA

Someone posted that the area was repaired and is smooth. I thought maybe there was a bump as well but apparently, there isn't.

On LPD's website, the file name of the truck has 0151 in it. I think it is the unofficial timestamp.

Didn't someone post that the time stamp on the camera is off by minutes?

I don't know of many other women who were knocked off of bikes, then kidnapped by someone who also took the bike and any pieces that would have fallen off.

If the truck seen facing into St. Landry would have tried this technique, just as an example, he would have hidden the bike rider from the patrons of the Circle K, but she would have been in plain view of cars passing by on University. University is a busy street, even at two AM. Lots of people driving home from the bars. He also would be on video loading up Mickey, her bike, broken pieces, etc. All while cars pass by!

If it turns out that Mickey's bike was hit by a vehicle....and it may have been, I think it would have to have happened in a more private location.
I agree 100%.

That part of Congress goes by the south side of the "'hood," a very bad part of town called "The Block," and also doesn't have a bike path. She avoided it for safety's sake.

Yep, sure do not want to be on a bike in the block at 2 am.

La

My opinion is that the truck was going very fast when it was behind Mickey. I even thought that maybe some of the indescribable 'stuff' we see under and around that truck is dust being blown up when hey slammed on their brakes. A fast brake could even account or the trucks shift to the left. No skid marks in the daytime pic but there aren't always skid marks. My brother just totaled a car in an accident. Someone ran a stop sign and couldn't stop fast enough. No skid marks at all.

If true, Mickey and the bike would not have been in the frame. They would have been flying in the air, tens of feet to the right.

The laws of physics don't change.

Omg maybe I am wrong, I thought I read somewhere he came home early Sat morn. Sorry I know everyone likes links.
See here: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/28/ng.01.html

GRACE: We are taking your calls.

I want to go back to the family of Mickey Shunick. Mickey Shunick`s dad is with us, Tom Shunick. Tom was called out around 2:30 a.m. that evening to go to an oil rig, which is part of his profession. He did not realize his daughter was missing until he could get e-mails and get -- make it back it to the home.

To Mr. Shunick, when did you finally learn that Mickey Shunick was missing, and when did you get back home and you guys called police?

TOM SHUNICK, FATHER OF MISSING CO-ED BEAUTY, MICKEY SHUNICK: It was close to noon on Sunday. I had talked to my wife Saturday night and I could tell she was upset but she didn`t tell me anything about it. And apparently she had sent me an e-mail later that night. I didn`t open my computer until after we had a fire drill out on the oil rig probably about 11:30 on Sunday. And it got out all over the rig and they immediately sent a helicopter out to fly me back.

he other scenario is that the perpetrator had those interior fake police lights and posed as a helpful cop. BBM

Is there a reason why I have never seen such fake police lights?

Take a google look at bicycle accidents. Quite often they are bloodless accidents or with very little blood. Even some of the fatalities....there is no blood. Or if a person ends up on the hood of a car, the evidence leaves the scene with the car.

Who knows, there could be blood evidence and no one has found it.

Personal example... My niece was riding a bike and when we told her a car was coming she turned her head to look over her left shoulder. (riding along the right hand side of the road). Her front wheel turned slightly toward the street and the person who was not paying attention hit her. The only damage to the bike that I remember was to the wheel. There was no blood, however, tests at the hospital showed that she had a fractured skull. (25+ years later no lasting damage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member