LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gotten to the point I don't even wat to chime in for fear of scowls and ugliness. Love to all of my sweet WS :)

I know how you feel. When you do finally post something, someone feels the need to make you feel like you're wasting space! Just ignore those posts/posters and feel free to say what you want (according to WS TOS). Most of us are nice!!!!

I save time by skimming the posts - anything having to do with the pictures - I skip completely. I can't seem to see what others say they see and I don't believe LE would be making the crime scene public. We all have our own theories - and we are all probably wrong!! LOL

Why does this particular case deserve National media attention but not all the hundreds of others? Just wondering. Some of these cases barely get local attention.

Because it is an unusual and rare crime and family, etc. have kept it in the media. Same with the Sierra LaMar case in California. It is amazing when so many people have put huge efforts into finding the missing girls.

LE needs to keep this in the forefront. Even "we are still continuing our investigation" would help. The silence is stunning,IMO.

My opinions only, no facts here:

In the second white truck Circle-K image, I accounted for everything in the cab in the driver's-side window that could be attributable to the dashboard, steering wheel, frame, and seat back. What is left is a bit of the head(?) and those persistent light-colored pixels that might relate to white clothing. Maybe a white T-shirt or tank top.

Thank you for your efforts.
To my untrained eyes the truck looks to have 'step sides' and a 'winch' on the front.. maybe

I've always thought NG needs to do a "keep them in the news" type of show, either one day during the week, or maybe for a Saturday evening.
It seems she grabs onto something, but we often don't get the "results", or an update.
She used to show pics of missing people like in the bottom screen long ago, not any more.
IMO, the things she does about crimes COMMITED and the arrest, etc, although important, but the viewers could look it up and read it themselves.
I'm SURE if they did a little more research, they could cover 2 missing persons per show.
IIRC, sometimes if a family contacts the show, they'll do a segment on the case.
Maybe, someone, maybe Mickey's sis, could ask NG to rerun info, etc. ??

maedlamsmom, knowing that Mickey armed herself with the mace before leaving Brentley's house indicates that she was aware of the possible dangers of riding her bike at 2 am on a Saturday night and she would have been extra observant and cautious, imo.

Mickey Schunick's abductor/s would be extremely difficult to profile with the info we have available.
Obviously he/they have no empathy for others, are calculating, elusive, controling, violent, and more than likely not their first abduction, or sexual offense, jmho.
Usually when a predator is inexperienced, they will make mistakes. With each offense, they hone their skills, become more confident, and eventually master their trade.
A serial killer with victims from multiple states, arrested in GA a few years ago made these statements in a LE interview: 'I am a hunter, a professional, as well as an artist, my life is my art'..

Buying or carrying a can of mace does not mean you will be confident enough to use it. This is the first thing they teach in most self defense classes- you do have the right to protect yourself and if you feel uncomfortable, there is a reason to, so act accordingly. However, I am saying that young women, in my experience, don't always feel confident enough yet to react quickly in a suspicious situation. It's funny, I remember an episode of Designing Women (yes, I freely admit I watched that show during insomnia-fueled nights), where this exact topic came up. They talked about how, we are taught not to talk to strangers, but in the next breath told to be friendly and "smile". A young woman who is still unsure of herself may fear that by overreacting or being dramatic, she may embarrass herself or hurt someone's feelings. I think this is especially true in the South, where hospitality is a source of pride. I also happen to think this is how Ted Bundy lured most of his victims and is commonly used in stories or movies about killers. Think of the scene in The Silence of the Lambs, where the killer faked needing help; you can see the internal debate between safety and politeness going on in the female victim's mind. This is all my own opinion, of course, but something I have noticed and encountered many, many times in my life.

And this in no way is saying that Mickey even COULD have avoided the situation or wasn't smart enough to avoid it. Just a bit of social commentary...

As far as profiling, I realize we have very little to go on, especially as amateurs. But, I was thinking, in order for it to be more likely for the above type of situation to occur, he would have to be an older, white man, who is socially equivalent to Mickey's family. I mean someone who she could imagine being friends with her dad, kinda guy. I am thinking that as a young attractive woman, she had to have, at times, ward off unwelcome advances from guys her own age, so would be leery of men in her demographic, but an older man may seem less scary. I think he would have been, in appearances, someone in the same or similar social-economic group as the Shunicks. I also think a man like this would be likely to be married and employed. This is obviously ALL speculation as I am no where even in the vicinity of an expert.

I am also painfully aware that profiling is not nearly an exact science and can be wildly off the mark (such in the case of DTL).

Anyone have any other ideas of the type of man to perpetrate this crime?

All the above is moo...

Why does this particular case deserve National media attention but not all the hundreds of others? Just wondering. Some of these cases barely get local attention.

IMOO hundreds of cases do deserve the national attention they're not getting.

What is considered to be a "Tow Package" that is visible on the front bumper? Tow hooks? Or you talking about the rear bumper?

I am not well-versed in trucks or tow packages. I was thinking more like a grate or something more than a standard front bumper. Here is a link to my original post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7992236&postcount=170"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16[/ame]

Based on what ACI said the other day, it seems like he has a pretty clear POI in his sights. The person has motive, history of mental illness and has shown strange behavior since MS disappeared. If this is really the perp, we need to put our focus more on where s/he took her, what happened to her and why and not so much on the DWT.

I have considered this, not short and rich but rich guy. This seems like a very calculated, precise grab and go. Usually with SK's the victim always shows up within a matter of days, usually dead.

LA
In my awfully hypothetical opinion, I can't imagine an anthro going to the 'rich guy' (I'd just as soon leave out short-wince-plenty of tall guys w/ image problems) unless she needed funding for a dig or ethno project. Qualifier- we tend not to be that oriented toward conspicuous consumption. Kinda hard to be if you're off on a dig in the Tauros mountains or interviewing the shaman of a reclusive tribe.

I am going to trust that LE hasn't completely let this go cold. It has only been a month (or less depending on how you count it). I am praying that early next week they do something or release something new. It is sad that I used to get online and have a whole thread to read and now I only have 2-3 pages new to read :( Happens with every case, but never stops being depressing.

One of my best friends works as the IT guy for LUS but I can't say anything bc 1) I'm not verified and 2) everyone flips out if there's no link.

Are you talking about "MJ", by chance?

Just to borrow on a couple of your thoughts--being raised Southern for too many decades to count--

Mickey was alcohol free that night, tired with a 4 mile stretch in front of her. Cannot help but feel her mind was focused on getting home and getting to bed.

Two younger males in a truck, taunting her--this would anger her and am fairly certain not the only time such a beautiful young lady was 'cat called' by fools. One of these 2 males could have had more on their mind. Perhaps even driving close enough to Mickey to touch her and causing her to lose her balance due to priors, drugs, alcohol, they take Mickey, her bike....

I'm a bit behind, but wanted to share some thoughts regarding the lack of information coming from LE and the reduction in media coverage. My degree is in Marketing and I have worked in media, advertising, promotions, etc. I now work for a company, handling all of these things from the other side. I say this only as an intro into by background, and the basis for my opinion. The media will not continue to cover a story where there is nothing new to cover. LE will not hold press conferences when there is nothing new to share with the public. This is the reality. This unfortunately results in people moving on. Not because they don't care, but because they let it slip from the front of their mind, and let's be honest, they get busy with life. Juggling careers, carpool, extracaricular activities, health problems, personal struggles, etc.. They become disengaged. Out of sight out of mind. This is tragic, but it's what happens. This is when it becomes most crucial for the people involved to "create" the news, per say. The media will cover Mickey, but they will not continue to regurgitate the same information day in and day out. Mickey needs to be marketed. Events! Organized vigils are one thing, but take it further. It's summer time - summer sports are going on. Get involved with the recreation leagues - have local teams wear wrist bands saying "Bring Mickey Home". Organize a co-ed softball tournament to raise money. I believe that I read that the new "headquarters" is near a bowling alley. Talk to them and other places like that, get them to host a "Bowling for Mickey" night. Events that are already planned/scheduled, contact organizers to see if there is a way to incorporate Mickey into the event. Check with the local radio stations and find out what their requirements are for a Public Service Announcement, as these radio spots are typically run for free. Volunteer turn out for searches was on the decline when they put foot searches on hold. Because people had to go back to their lives. Go to where they are. Get a local print shop to donate banners with the Find Mickey info - if they can put their logo on it, they'll do it for the publicity. Get local shops to include a Find Mickey flyer in every shopping bag. Write and distribute press releases to EVERY local media outlet - print, tv, radio, etc.. If LE can't bring any "news" to the table, then give them something to cover. This is just my opinion as it relates to keeping this case in the news - no opinions here regarding the state of the investigation or what I think happened:). Just my 2 cents offered to be helpful!

I'm a bit behind, but wanted to share some thoughts regarding the lack of information coming from LE and the reduction in media coverage. My degree is in Marketing and I have worked in media, advertising, promotions, etc. I now work for a company, handling all of these things from the other side. I say this only as an intro into by background, and the basis for my opinion. The media will not continue to cover a story where there is nothing new to cover. LE will not hold press conferences when there is nothing new to share with the public. This is the reality. This unfortunately results in people moving on. Not because they don't care, but because they let it slip from the front of their mind, and let's be honest, they get busy with life. Juggling careers, carpool, extracaricular activities, health problems, personal struggles, etc.. They become disengaged. Out of sight out of mind. This is tragic, but it's what happens. This is when it becomes most crucial for the people involved to "create" the news, per say. The media will cover Mickey, but they will not continue to regurgitate the same information day in and day out. Mickey needs to be marketed. Events! Organized vigils are one thing, but take it further. It's summer time - summer sports are going on. Get involved with the recreation leagues - have local teams wear wrist bands saying "Bring Mickey Home". Organize a co-ed softball tournament to raise money. I believe that I read that the new "headquarters" is near a bowling alley. Talk to them and other places like that, get them to host a "Bowling for Mickey" night. Events that are already planned/scheduled, contact organizers to see if there is a way to incorporate Mickey into the event. Check with the local radio stations and find out what their requirements are for a Public Service Announcement, as these radio spots are typically run for free. Volunteer turn out for searches was on the decline when they put foot searches on hold. Because people had to go back to their lives. Go to where they are. Get a local print shop to donate banners with the Find Mickey info - if they can put their logo on it, they'll do it for the publicity. Get local shops to include a Find Mickey flyer in every shopping bag. Write and distribute press releases to EVERY local media outlet - print, tv, radio, etc.. If LE can't bring any "news" to the table, then give them something to cover. This is just my opinion as it relates to keeping this case in the news - no opinions here regarding the state of the investigation or what I think happened:). Just my 2 cents offered to be helpful!
Great post!!! Thanks button not enough,

Is Mickey's family down at the media stations asking for media attention? Do we know that they are being turned away, if so? I think people should take their lead from her family, JMO...same as with the white truck. They don't seem to be asking about it.

Have they publicly asked that landowners search their property and outbuildings? I know that have asked for a review of home security footage, but with some of the more rural areas outside of town (viewable on google-maps), I would think this has been asked. They have done this in other cases (Sierra and Sherry Arnold immediately come to mind), but I haven't seen any msm reports of this in Mickey's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3