LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Both my father and my stepfather, uncles etc are in the oilfield. It's really discerning to me that when someone presents a new angle on this case everyone starts attacking them. Several times now I have removed myself from these WS boards because I have felt like people here aren't really trying to sleuth anything, but rather toss the same white ball back and forth.
It's obviously all our own opinions, why don't you all stop shooting ideas down?
I'm certain that my post will be removed just as someone else's was earlier for stating the rudeness of others here.

Bring Mickey Home!

Circa, I wasn't trying to be rude. But we aren't supposed to be sleuthing family members and it honestly doesn't matter why he wasn't at the graduation. He was called out to work. Knowing the oil business and how it is for a lot of families (maybe not yours), the explanation the family gave is the one we are going with.

I just have a question about the images that LE released to the public.

It continues to be my belief that LE only wanted help in ID'ing the vehicles and nothing else.

What if LE already blocked out the driver/passenger areas of the truck before releasing the stills? If that is effective in finding Mickey, I'm all for LE doing whatever "enhancements" they want, including deleting parts of the video and blocking out certain areas they want to keep to themselves.

I guess, from the experts on here, I would be more interested in knowing if the driver/passenger areas, and areas by the truck were colored over or blocked out purposefully.

And, if they were, I'm good with that, if it is effective in finding her.

Yes, examining the "original" released images. I do believe LE before releasing the still images "blurred" out specific faces and objects that would aid in positively identifying the person or specific vehicle. (like google does) To protect them from liability, defamation, and the general public (us) from harassing specific people they needed to question and not intimidate or scare into hiding, which I think they did anyway.

They're anonymous as far as the public is concerned. I know who hired me though and none are the perp or perps

I can not imagine why a perp would hire someone so that they could be found...

LA

I haven't found much use for the iPad but I can obviously see more detail than some others just by the pinch pull. I don't mind seeing the fantasy images. To me it is just another way if expressing your opinion. Some do it in writing and some do it with visual images. I need to play around with the photoshop touch.

OT: Another cool tip/trick with Photoshop touch is the camera fill option, without distortion using levels or curves. Turn off all your lights, so it's dark in the room like a dark room and make a camera fill layer, overlay, and shine a small handheld light into the cam lens on the ipad, it will add a light layer that "opens up shadows" you can see it real time that will knock your socks off. There is a tutorial on it. I will find the link. Cool stuff!

-----------
I bolded the above. I hope so. I've heard that phrase over and over and over again within decades, and somehow, many cases never get solved, much less the victim rescued.

Very sad. Hope this case is different.

And, if this case is connected to all of the other missing blonde, petite women, I hope this will be the one to crack the case wide open and bring Mickey and those other women home alive.

I agree. Enough is enough.

LA

---------
I bolded the above sentence. And, that, has always intrigued me. If the driver could sit back far enough not to be ID'd, that would be one cagey driver.

Maybe he just has long legs? I am just throwing that out there because hubby is short but #1 son is over six feet tall. They've both received tickets from the traffic lights which include a photo of your vehicle committing the offense. Hubby is clearly visible, but only the hands, arms and torso are visible in my son's photo.

I can not imagine why a perp would hire someone so that they could be found...

LA

Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that ever was the case. People can be so devious. Just like those perps who may insert themselves into the search teams for a missing person....they are so confident that they left nothing behind and are confident in their acting as the concerned citizen, that they believe no one will suspect them.

Of course, in the case of hiring a PI....well, I suppose that would seem to be a counterproductive move to us, though for some....who enjoy playing such games...it might provide an opportunity for their 'game' to expand; a stroke to their ego, if you will; to be able to outwit the professionals. JMO, of course.

There is a Z71 on Craigslist in Lafayette that clearly shows a license plate in one of the photos you maybe want to run :)

I would run it asap, and ACI.... get an assistant- and a big bag of community coffee we are counting on you..

LA

Those did not look blocked however some programs can make images transparent and they can be filled in w/out being too obvious.

It's my opinion after looking at the truck images that the driver is partially blocked by the window frame of the passenger door. In other words, he/she is too far back to be seen clearly. That is only my opinion. Some of the pictures do show manipulation because they have the dark lines associated with sharpening images and some have fuzzy lines that would not be there, however, I don't think that LE purposely blocked the faces in the truck. They probably never realized there would be people studying the images as closely as they have been studied.

And everyone has referred to the white as being the driver's shirt. I thought this at first but now I think the driver side window may be down and the white is the light from the gas station being so bright. Just an opinion of course.

Just spent hours reading/rereading posts. My head is spinning, but also a little clearer.

These are my gut feelings:
Mickey as hit while riding her bike due to the damage of her bike
(bent rim and dislodge tire)
Z71 involved
(traveling same direction-appears also from photo that tailgate is down and a person sitting in bed of truck)
Two(or more) people involved
(seems improbable to me for 1 person to stop the truck get out/get her in the truck-I would assume she was somewhat aware as there was found not to be any debris found-put her in the truck-without her running-and turn around and pickup her bike too)
They are not from Layfayette
(1. Truck if it was owned by someone in town-would have turned up already with all those looking/BUT they are familiar with area due to the location of bike found under Wiskey Bay Bridge/I feel they continued down I10 to neighboring areas)

Things I feel can be looked into(and I am sure the LE has or is)
-Possible charges at buisnesses open possibly between 10-2/bars/restaurants/gas stations/convienient stores for out of town charges/could be hard since this is a college town as I am aware.
-Seems to be an expensive truck with bells and whistles
truck clubs in the area as guys love to brag about their vehicles!!!
trucks for sale-looking to sell or trade to take heat off of them/craigslist/dealers/used auto sales/etc.

Sorry for thinking out loud again! I just wish we had another clue that could be released that could help us narrow in where Mickey is to bring her home!!!!!!!!!!!1

Funny you say this... There is a truck club called highlifter that has a lot of similar trucks. The LE pic shows some type of black something on the cab just above the windshield. It's been driving me crazy because I couldn't come up with anything that could be there with the exception of the antenna.

If any of you have time, wondering if you could take a look at this link. I am not connecting this person to this case but am wondering what type of light or bar is shown here on the cab. It looks very much like what I keep seeing in the pic.

http://forum.highlifter.com/08-GMC-Duramax-diesel-Z71-and-08-Sandpiper-291RL-camper-m4720130.aspx

Thanks!

It's actually www.averlock.com

But yes, I will be on and hopefully entertaining and informative enough to not bore people to tears

Congratulations, ACI! Thank you for all of your hard work. Seeing how hard you were working on the case gave me a piece of mind. Knowing that now you have more resources to help you, allows me to sleep a little better at night. Thanks again!

Great job at giving Mickey's case national recognition by being a guest on WS' radio show!

Building off of another sleuthers idea about getting more national TV, maybe our journalist/marketing sleuthers have ideas of news worthy content to compose a news release possibly inquiring about them interviewing ACI on their programs.

Or, maybe a media alert (or whatever the proper procedure is) should be sent out to notify them of ACI's appearance today. Possibly more interest could ignite from that. Maybe WS already does this, eh?

I accidentally called 911 on my cell. Purse dialed. They called me back minutes later and had tracked my cell ping to within a block of my location. LE was 2 business's away looking for me...in the event it had been an emergency. Not sure if it works the same if you didn't dial into 911 directly.

Unrelated but 911 can also lock your phone. Family member sadly committed suicide and when I called 911 they locked my phone so that I could not dial out. Tried to call another family member and was told they locked my phone and any call made will be directed to 911. It was very upsetting because I had to call other family members immediately and could not.

Re:your first paragraph, I find that really comforting. Thank you for sharing your story. I often think about what would happen if I called 911 but couldn't get out my info for some reason.

Funny you say this... There is a truck club called highlifter that has a lot of similar trucks. The LE pic shows some type of black something on the cab just above the windshield. It's been driving me crazy because I couldn't come up with anything that could be there with the exception of the antenna.

If any of you have time, wondering if you could take a look at this link. I am not connecting this person to this case but am wondering what type of light or bar is shown here on the cab. It looks very much like what I keep seeing in the pic.

http://forum.highlifter.com/08-GMC-Duramax-diesel-Z71-and-08-Sandpiper-291RL-camper-m4720130.aspx

Thanks!

Like these roof lights?

Attachments

• rooflights.jpg
    rooflights.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 36
question, if I'm allowed. what makes carnival workers fair game for discussion/accusation?

Someone's grandpa may be in the carnival business. Someone's sister is a stripper (can't discuss them).
Someone's father is an oil worker (can't discuss them). Someone does illicit drugs (can't discuss the implications of that).

In other words, nothing anybody does has anything to do with anything unless (who?) says it does.

Someone is sleuthable when they are named by LE or MSM as being a POI, suspect or major player in the case.

To date - the sister and Dad are considered victims - as such they are not sleuthable. If that changes, so will the rules.

It is not okay to sleuth just anybody because you know their name or saw them on a facebook somewhere. They must have a connection and any sleuthing must be related to THAT connection.

Hope that helps. Please PM a moderator if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Salem

Not sure if any of you have heard about this but there is a spray you can but that makes your license plate unreadable on the traffic cameras and video cameras. You spray it on and cannot see it. The license plate appears completely blacked out.

which indicates modern high resolution cameras along the road.. haven't seen from them tho.

IMO, the Jennings serial killer is not related to this case. With that said, the following Discovery ID video includes food for thought in other abduction and missing persons investigations, imo.

Brutal Bayou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk67wXqDX2k&feature=youtu.be

Discovery Channel - Dark Minds series

Phelps travels to the Deep South to investigate the murder of 8 girls over 4 years. But a maverick private investigator, multiple persons of interest, and rumors of police corruption make this case murkier than a Louisiana bayou.

TONIGHT on WeBsLeUtHs RADIO our guest will be our own A.C.I. !!!

Don't miss it!

The show airs at 8PM EST / 5PM PST. Click the link on my signature line to hear the show LIVE! And we have a fun chat room that opens about 30 minutes before show time!

See you there!
:seeya:

I am so excited about this! Our own ACI!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx