LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought NG needs to do a "keep them in the news" type of show, either one day during the week, or maybe for a Saturday evening.
It seems she grabs onto something, but we often don't get the "results", or an update.
She used to show pics of missing people like in the bottom screen long ago, not any more.
IMO, the things she does about crimes COMMITED and the arrest, etc, although important, but the viewers could look it up and read it themselves.
I'm SURE if they did a little more research, they could cover 2 missing persons per show.
IIRC, sometimes if a family contacts the show, they'll do a segment on the case.
Maybe, someone, maybe Mickey's sis, could ask NG to rerun info, etc. ??
I couldn't agree more. NG is like a drive-by -- "Bombshell! Breaking news!" -- her lack of follow-up drives me nuts. I didn't follow the Anthony case, but it seemed like every time I tuned into NG four-plus years ago, she was hashing over that crime only... like a personal vendetta. She needs to focus and follow up -- she throws out way too many cases, many of which the perpetrator is already identified.

For clarification, my post was not meant to imply that anyone go out and try to garner any media attention for this case on their own. When I said this time was crucial or the people involved, I was referring to the family, friends and loved ones. Obviously any action taken by any person with the intention of helping the Shunicks, should not be done without the knowledge, consent and/or approval of the family. With that being said, we all have the right to contact our local media to inquire about anything happening in our community that we care about if we feel that the media should or could be doing more. That is called feedback and is closely tied to their ratings and success. I did not mean to imply that anyone should take it upon themselves to organize any type of event for Mickey without the family's knowledge. As for whether or not they are requesting media coverage and not getting it, I can not say. But I do know that the media will not do a story on Mickey every night when there is nothing new to report. JMO
This link is to an email from the PIO with the East Baton Rouge Paris sheriffs dept regarding the case of Sylviane Lozada, a teacher missing from where I live, that touches on the relationship between LE providing new information and what is covered by the media.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150349971321497&set=o.170088216393190&type=1
Is Mickey's family down at the media stations asking for media attention? Do we know that they are being turned away, if so? I think people should take their lead from her family, JMO...same as with the white truck. They don't seem to be asking about it.

Do you think it might be someone in authority?

Nothing more than a hunch, but I am wide open to the possibility of this being someone with some sort of inside information on things such as camera placement in the immediate vicinity of the spot of abduction, location of past searches (what better place to dispose of evidence than that of an area which has already been "ruled out", right?), etc.

Have my friend in forensics with me here. She said it takes 3 days to obtain a DNA profile at state police crime lab and fingerprints are immediate.

Just throwing that out there.

In my awfully hypothetical opinion, I can't imagine an anthro going to the 'rich guy' (I'd just as soon leave out short-wince-plenty of tall guys w/ image problems) unless she needed funding for a dig or ethno project. Qualifier- we tend not to be that oriented toward conspicuous consumption. Kinda hard to be if you're off on a dig in the Tauros mountains or interviewing the shaman of a reclusive tribe.

Wouldn't the ~2000$ bike and the very expensive horse belie this characterization?

Buying or carrying a can of mace does not mean you will be confident enough to use it. This is the first thing they teach in most self defense classes- you do have the right to protect yourself and if you feel uncomfortable, there is a reason to, so act accordingly. However, I am saying that young women, in my experience, don't always feel confident enough yet to react quickly in a suspicious situation. It's funny, I remember an episode of Designing Women (yes, I freely admit I watched that show during insomnia-fueled nights), where this exact topic came up. They talked about how, we are taught not to talk to strangers, but in the next breath told to be friendly and "smile". A young woman who is still unsure of herself may fear that by overreacting or being dramatic, she may embarrass herself or hurt someone's feelings. I think this is especially true in the South, where hospitality is a source of pride. I also happen to think this is how Ted Bundy lured most of his victims and is commonly used in stories or movies about killers. Think of the scene in The Silence of the Lambs, where the killer faked needing help; you can see the internal debate between safety and politeness going on in the female victim's mind. This is all my own opinion, of course, but something I have noticed and encountered many, many times in my life.

And this in no way is saying that Mickey even COULD have avoided the situation or wasn't smart enough to avoid it. Just a bit of social commentary...

(snip)

Well written and oh-so-accurate when it comes to GRITS.

OT: I think I have to attempt to take a break from WS today, as I am so distracted/focused on WT's that as I pulled into my local gas station quickie mart to put gas in.. I spotted TWO Z71 newer trucks parked side by side across the street at a local tire shop. One was a Sierra and one a Silverado. I went into the gas station to pay for my fuel and an energy drink and then preceded to leave and go investigate the cosmetic differences, decals, packages etc.. and forgot to put the gas in I paid for. When I got back into my truck and realized it still said low fuel and what I had done.. went back to the station...somebody had helped themselves to my free gas. I hope they needed it. :(

Buying or carrying a can of mace does not mean you will be confident enough to use it. This is the first thing they teach in most self defense classes- you do have the right to protect yourself and if you feel uncomfortable, there is a reason to, so act accordingly. However, I am saying that young women, in my experience, don't always feel confident enough yet to react quickly in a suspicious situation. It's funny, I remember an episode of Designing Women (yes, I freely admit I watched that show during insomnia-fueled nights), where this exact topic came up. They talked about how, we are taught not to talk to strangers, but in the next breath told to be friendly and "smile". A young woman who is still unsure of herself may fear that by overreacting or being dramatic, she may embarrass herself or hurt someone's feelings. I think this is especially true in the South, where hospitality is a source of pride. I also happen to think this is how Ted Bundy lured most of his victims and is commonly used in stories or movies about killers. Think of the scene in The Silence of the Lambs, where the killer faked needing help; you can see the internal debate between safety and politeness going on in the female victim's mind. This is all my own opinion, of course, but something I have noticed and encountered many, many times in my life.

And this in no way is saying that Mickey even COULD have avoided the situation or wasn't smart enough to avoid it. Just a bit of social commentary...

As far as profiling, I realize we have very little to go on, especially as amateurs. But, I was thinking, in order for it to be more likely for the above type of situation to occur, he would have to be an older, white man, who is socially equivalent to Mickey's family. I mean someone who she could imagine being friends with her dad, kinda guy. I am thinking that as a young attractive woman, she had to have, at times, ward off unwelcome advances from guys her own age, so would be leery of men in her demographic, but an older man may seem less scary. I think he would have been, in appearances, someone in the same or similar social-economic group as the Shunicks. I also think a man like this would be likely to be married and employed. This is obviously ALL speculation as I am no where even in the vicinity of an expert.

I am also painfully aware that profiling is not nearly an exact science and can be wildly off the mark (such in the case of DTL).

Anyone have any other ideas of the type of man to perpetrate this crime?

All the above is moo...

I thought about how I would and do react when someone approaches me when I am riding. Of course, I am older than MS and have had life experiences that make me wary, that she might not have had.

I am normally polite, bubbly and helpful. In public or by myself, not so much. On a bike, NOT at all. I can be quite caustic if approached- but always respond kindly to older neighbors, male or female.

I believe this must have been either an older white man, or a woman was present. I cannot see her stopping or being attacked by grabbing her backpack while riding as someone suggested.

I think It was someone who may have offered her a ride because it was unsafe, and perhaps since she was feeling unwell accepted it. Especially if was an older grandpaw/grandma type.

LA

Based on what ACI said the other day, it seems like he has a pretty clear POI in his sights. The person has motive, history of mental illness and has shown strange behavior since MS disappeared. If this is really the perp, we need to put our focus more on where s/he took her, what happened to her and why and not so much on the DWT.

Where did he say the person had a history of mental illness? I don't think he said that.
Maybe I missed that as well as a motive. What was that?

Where did he say the person had a history of mental illness? I don't think he said that.

Yes, the family has a history of mental instability. Yet, it would not be the motive.

LA

La, continuing on your train of thought. Mickey taught riding, so perhaps one of the kid's Dads...just trying to throw out people Mickey would feel 'safe' around under the circumstances in those early morning hours. MOOOOOOOOOOO

Wouldn't the ~2000$ bike and the very expensive horse belie this characterization?
Yes, but either it was a gift or anthros have changed enormously since the 60s. Prob wrong since I'm going by myself & the other anthro I knew. Money was secondary to 'the quest'!

I've been married to a man who works in the oilfield for close to forty years. My experience is that when the phone rings, you go!

You can schedule days off in advance, but even then, if the phone rings, you go. My hubby specializes in high pressure, high risk jobs, and he is often asked for by name.....his reputation is that he is the very best at what he does, and he will almost never refuse to go out and help. His presence and expertise prevents blowouts and other big bad accidents.

I've been married to a man who works in the oilfield for close to forty years. My experience is that when the phone rings, you go!

Yikes, 40 plus years. That is a long time. We are headed into semi-retirement next week...hooray. I am very excited about this. It appears that we both have extremely intelligent husbands. My husband specializes in overseas deep water drilling and like yours he is very much sought after. He just completed a huge deepwater project and yes he did go offshore but it anticipated. We certainly have had different experiences in the oil industry!

If you look back on thread #26, posts 575 and 583, ACI refers to his POI being mentally unstable.

As far as profiling, I realize we have very little to go on, especially as amateurs. But, I was thinking, in order for it to be more likely for the above type of situation to occur, he would have to be an older, white man, who is socially equivalent to Mickey's family. I mean someone who she could imagine being friends with her dad, kinda guy. I am thinking that as a young attractive woman, she had to have, at times, ward off unwelcome advances from guys her own age, so would be leery of men in her demographic, but an older man may seem less scary. I think he would have been, in appearances, someone in the same or similar social-economic group as the Shunicks. I also think a man like this would be likely to be married and employed. This is obviously ALL speculation as I am no where even in the vicinity of an expert.

I am also painfully aware that profiling is not nearly an exact science and can be wildly off the mark (such in the case of DTL).

Anyone have any other ideas of the type of man to perpetrate this crime?

All the above is moo...

RE: I am also painfully aware that profiling is not nearly an exact science and can be wildly off the mark (such in the case of DTL).

While watching a rape/murder investigation on Discovery ID of a high school student, I observed the detective swabed & interviewed hundreds of HS Students for dna, assuming the perp was a caucasion. After almost a year later investigators ordered a dna test for an STR profile:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11348789

* Forensic Sci Int. '2001 Jun 1';119(1):17-22.

Inferring ethnic origin by means of an STR profile.

Lowe AL, Urquhart A, Foreman LA, Evett IW.

Source

Forensic Science Service, 2960 Trident Court, Birmingham Business Park, Solihull, B37 7YN, West Midlands, UK. alexllowe@yahoo.com

Abstract

We report the use of DNA profiles from six STR loci for inferring the ethnic origin of a crime stain and discuss how such inference may be used as intelligence information to reduce the expected number of interviews to resolve a case. To enable this work, databases have been created for five British ethnic groups (Caucasians, Afro-Caribbeans, Indian sub-continentals, Southeast Asians and Middle Easterners) that together comprise 99.7% of the UK population.

OT: I think I have to attempt to take a break from WS today, as I am so distracted/focused on WT's that as I pulled into my local gas station quickie mart to put gas in.. I spotted TWO Z71 newer trucks parked side by side across the street at a local tire shop. One was a Sierra and one a Silverado. I went into the gas station to pay for my fuel and an energy drink and then preceded to leave and go investigate the cosmetic differences, decals, packages etc.. and forgot to put the gas in I paid for. When I got back into my truck and realized it still said low fuel and what I had done.. went back to the station...somebody had helped themselves to my free gas. I hope they needed it. :(
Oh, no! Sorry about the thieving customer.

I'm here in California, and found myself looking for white trucks on the freeway when I drove south about 25 miles yesterday. Spotted two trucks: one with Texas plates, the other fom Arkansas (probably people in the military). Amazing how all-consuming this case can be! And it has already been a month. :banghead:

I'm here in California, and found myself looking for white trucks on the freeway when I drove south about 25 miles yesterday. Spotted two trucks: one with Texas plates, the other fom Arkansas (probably people in the military). Amazing how all-consuming this case can be! And it has already been a month. :banghead:

'Thieving customer prolly alerted all the other customers, 'hey yall need to use this pump, it's giving away free gas'! That's terrible Annie...

Ironically, the WT is prolly far from Lafayette by now, and if located will be in another city or state.

La, continuing on your train of thought. Mickey taught riding, so perhaps one of the kid's Dads...just trying to throw out people Mickey would feel 'safe' around under the circumstances in those early morning hours. MOOOOOOOOOOO

Anything is a possibility. It makes no sense that she would just go with a stranger. This leaves friendly or forceful attack. Forceful attacks are loud, and noticeable. Friendly, not so much.

LA

Thanks, as I said.. hope they really needed it. Both trucks were military. As Beale afb is very close to me, I checked the plates first. Just in case. Glad it is not just me. (obviously, I can't stop thinking about it)

Why does this particular case deserve National media attention but not all the hundreds of others? Just wondering. Some of these cases barely get local attention.

No one has said that only this case deserves media attention. IMO, they all do.
Family, friends, etc. are the ones driving a lot of media attention so they need to be out there in the forefront if media attention is what they want. Media attention can help keep a case from going cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3