LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:moo:

Which truck are you referring to here? Mine? I was told by one person that mine is a Chevrolet Silverado, but does that mean it is or is not a Z71?

Oh sorry I meant to quote. Yes I believe it to be a Silverado, but its not a 4 door and doesn't appear to be a Z71. Now it is an extended cab and may or may not have the smaller doors that open from the inside. Also being a Silverado doesn't make a truck a Z71. Silverado is just an interior upgrade and exterior cosmetics.

*This might be irrelevant, but if I remember right all the full size Chevrolet trucks are Silverados now, with the exception of a model called WT(Work Truck). They are very plain and easy to spot.Years ago there was a Scottsdale model that was between Silverado and what I think was called just a C-10. Anyway to get a look at the trucks just go to a Chevy dealer. There should be a lot of white trucks. Go when there closed though so you aren't hassled.

I think, had the person that took Mickey, dumped the bike on the night of her disappearance ,that the bike would have been found much sooner. WB seems like a pretty popular fishing spot from what I have read, and I think that someone would have spotted the bike sooner, given the traffic that WB sees as a fishing spot and a boat launch.

Seems to be a fairly popular misconception about WB and fishing. True, that exit sees lots of fishing-related traffic. But WB proper (the swift-moving river, not the work canal at which a public boat launch is located) is not much of a fishing hotspot. At all. You may remember Chicken Fried's map which demonstrated the difference between the boat launch area and the area where the bike was found (directly beneath the WB bridge, roughly half a mile from the boat launch).

Second, regarding your "bike would have been found much sooner" comment: again, there was a precipitous drop in water level over the course of the several days which transpired between MS's disappearance and the time the bike was discovered. Given that it was found "partially submerged", it's easy to see a scenario where it was, at the time it was dumped, *fully* submerged and, with the passage of time and the dropping of water levels in WB, revealed itself concurrent with said water levels dropping.

I don't smoke, but I agree. I make more judgments about the alcohol and people smoking cigarettes because it is much more harmful than marijuana.

OT but one of my favorite authors is Cornell Woolrich. He was a mystery writer from the late 20's to maybe late 50's. He wrote the Alfred Hitchcock movie "Rear Window" and Truffaut's movie "The Bride Wore Black". If you guys like mysteries, as I'm sure most of you do, you might wanna look him up. He's very underrated.

Anyway he was a raging alcoholic who wrote this book called "Marijuana" I'm guessing in the late 40's. The cover depicts this lunatic with crazy eyes and a knife. In it some innocent guy tries a joint and turns into this zombie crazed monster killing people in their apartments. People at that time had a very different view of the effects of marijuana.

One thing I have wondered about.... Brettly said Mickey did not drink that night because she was nursing a hangover from the night before. How much did she drink the night before to still be sick the next night?

And as a side note, I really think it needs to be brought to the forefront how bad of an idea it is for college students (or anyone really) to be drinking heavily. It shouldn't be brushed off as "one of those things college kids do." It isn't safe nor healthy and it isn't ok.

I don't think LA tourism will be affected at all. We've been indoctrinated into believing some nut halfway around the world will somehow get us, not some local guy who is out on parole.

MLE, imo commerce is the primary reason that there is silence in missing persons cases after the first couple of days or weeks. Pressure from the financial & political leaders. They simply want it to go away..

It is primarily the missing person's family that has to keep it in the media and demand that resources are made available in the investigation.

I am speaking from experience. I actually had the president of the Chamber of Commerce/Real Estate Broker call and threaten me for a missing person editorial placed in the local rag. Next thing I knew three Sheriff's cars was pulling in my driveway..

I think there is silence to stop judgments of local LE. If the police gave an update every day or once a week and stated there was nothing new in the investigation, most people would think they weren't doing a very good job.

It is also to keep people from feeling unsafe, especially when it is a multiples case.

Once again I've removed a post speculating about the PIs and the family. Don't do it! None of them want us to go off on this rabbit trail and the management here at WS doesn't want it either.

I do not want to start issuing TOs for it so please stop it on your own. I've posted about this issue three or four times now.

We cannot forget that the local LE have been given a nearly impossible case to solve. When someone vanishes and leaves absolutely no trace and it is a stranger abduction, the only way to solve it is to get a tip from someone who saw something or find the body/personal items with DNA from a perp who is in the system.

You guys can discuss information about the case that ACI has shared. Please don't ignore all the time and effort spent on that part of it. It's just the part about ACI not working the case anymore and the reasons behind it. We're not here to debate the issue between the two PIs and the family. It will just divide us and distract from looking for clues to help find Mickey. And let's hope ACI comes in and brainstorms with us again.

Keep it all about Mickey. That's all.

:bump:

I wouldn't look too much into the activity in NOLA having anything to do with this case. There is ALWAYS A LOT of activity in NOLA. With 2 years olds getting shot in the face, armed robberies daily. It is not a safe city.

I am very AWARE of how busy NOLA is but thanks.

Oh sorry I meant to quote. Yes I believe it to be a Silverado, but its not a 4 door and doesn't appear to be a Z71. Now it is an extended cab and may or may not have the smaller doors that open from the inside. Also being a Silverado doesn't make a truck a Z71. Silverado is just an interior upgrade and exterior cosmetics.

*This might be irrelevant, but if I remember right all the full size Chevrolet trucks are Silverados now, with the exception of a model called WT(Work Truck). They are very plain and easy to spot.Years ago there was a Scottsdale model that was between Silverado and what I think was called just a C-10. Anyway to get a look at the trucks just go to a Chevy dealer. There should be a lot of white trucks. Go when there closed though so you aren't hassled.

I think mine is a work truck. Very plain. Is the one a city Hal. A wt too?

I forget which book it is from, but it is basically a book about being a serial killer. Dennis Rader had it in his possession when he was arrested. It says that the first rule is: Never kill anyone you know.

We cannot forget that the local LE have been given a nearly impossible case to solve. When someone vanishes and leaves absolutely no trace and it is a stranger abduction, the only way to solve it is to get a tip from someone who saw something or find the body/personal items with DNA from a perp who is in the system.

This is true. I always have sympathy for LE in stranger abudction scenarios. They really don't have much to go on and it's obvious that crime in the city doesn't stop while they are trying to find a missing person. Their resources are stretched thin.

And even if your DNA has been taken, it might take years for it to be put into CODIS.

Anthony Allen Shore had his DNA taken when he was convicted of molesting his two daughters. Between the time it was taken and being submitted into CODIS, he killed at least 4 women and girls. Finally, once it was in, they got an immediate hit.

And even if your DNA has been taken, it might take years for it to be put into CODIS.

Anthony Allen Shore had his DNA taken when he was convicted of molesting his two daughters. Between the time it was taken and being submitted into CODIS, he killed at least 4 women and girls. Finally, once it was in, they got an immediate hit.

Well, that's distressing...
All right, my WS peeps...keep sleuthing on! I'll be back in later today. Hopefully today will be the day Mickey will be found!

I forget which book it is from, but it is basically a book about being a serial killer. Dennis Rader had it in his possession when he was arrested. It says that the first rule is: Never kill anyone you know.

1989 novel about a serial killer (Rules of Prey) John Sandiford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3