LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing, we only have BW to say she was hungover. I have a hard time believing that someone would climb on a bike early in the day while headachey and nauseous and ride four miles. Not saying young people do not do things like that, I just think it would be rough.

not trying to sleuth him, just wondering.

I think there were plenty of other people besides BW who could (and probably did) confirm for LE that she wasn't feeling well/was hungover.

She had been out with her sister the night before. Presuming her sister was staying at the family home, I'm sure she and her sister discussed it the next day if Mickey wasn't feeling well.

And remember that the night she disappeared, she and BW were with their group of friends at Artmosphere. Surely she at least made an offhand comment about not feeling well, or told someone when asked why she wasn't having a drink that night.

I agree that during a bad hangover a bike ride wouldn't be a preferred activity for me. IMHO, her hangover probably just left her feeling under the weather; not awful. Combine that with knowing she had to go to her brother's graduation the next day and she may have felt well enough to be out and about but bad enough to mention it to her friends and refrain from drinking.

This is my first post, but I have been following since the beginning. I saw someone mention this, but I don't know if the link was posted. Missing woman from Shreveport (blonde, curly hair, left on foot). I'm on my phone, and I can't get the dang link to work, but if you go to KSLA.com it is on their main page.

Well there is a young woman from Alabama thats missing and its said she left on foot that might be what your thinking of. thats a doozey
of case also!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8085470&posted=1#post8085470

Who was the last person to call her when she was at BW's house anyone know?

I've read it was her best friend Ashley, inviting her to join them at Mel's Diner. Mickey declined since she and BW had since been to Taco Bell.

I've also read that she received a text, but we don't know who that was from. LE surely knows the content and the sender, since they have access to her phone records.

If LE does decide to call it a coldcase...do they just quit investigating and put it into a file box to sit on a shelf? I think it is way to early to do that. But if that is what they do..then it is a good thing that the Shunicks hired a PI to investigate.

Actually i think they trim down on investigations and maybe hand it over to someone for new eyes...maybe someone not familiar witht he case can see something different JMO

I have always considered when LEA do not share info or keep the public's awareness up, it usually means there is a lack of confidence in their own ability to solve crime. For all the things LE hasn't said, this is the one that keeps repeating and it is a very troubling look into the possible mindsets at work on this case.
"It's way too early to call this a cold case," he (Mouton) said June 4
"We're not giving up," Craft said. "Every week, we evaluate our progress or lack of progress on the case. Is it time to transition this into a cold case? I always get the same answer that we're not ready to do that." June 8 (So the sheriff two plus weeks into the investigation is asking his officers if they are ready to call this a cold case???? And he has asked them more than once???????????????????????????????????????????????????)
"We're no closer to declaring it a cold case than we were two weeks ago," Cpl. Kyle Soriez said last week. June 24
So two weeks into their investigation and they were already throwing out the term "cold case" in relation to this case. As the weeks have progressed, other members of LE are using that phrase. So they were saying that many tips (1000+) were coming in and the idea of a cold case was brought up and answered?!?!?!?!?!?!? After weeks of investigating and making a point to show how much money they have spent on overtime, they have the nerve to not say anything except that they are waiting to call this a cold case? That is mind boggling and irresponsible, a more appropriate response is that they are still investigating. If they are just waiting to call this a cold case so they can move onto something else, IMO they may as well resign at the same time.
I hope this is not the situation, but the way it has been presented makes it hard to see other possibilities, so hopefully this is just some media trickery and not their actual thoughts.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120608/NEWS01/206080323/-Encouraged-by-findings
http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=

Wow, I did not know that LE was already throwing out the "cold case" term....especially in the manner they are saying it in. There are cases that are YEARS old and LE insists that it's not a cold case. That word has a very bad connotation. It basically means that there are no new leads, LE has nothing to work with, and it's filed away in a drawer somewhere.

I think its next to impossible to find a missing person unless the perp is found and gives up info.
I do not think its anything LE does or does not do its just like looking for a needle in a haystack. The perp can leave a body anywhere...water land dumps another state etc

these cases are usually solved by hunters or ppl waking in the woods and they stumble upon some bones,,,,

JMO

If LE does decide to call it a coldcase...do they just quit investigating and put it into a file box to sit on a shelf? I think it is way to early to do that. But if that is what they do..then it is a good thing that the Shunicks hired a PI to investigate.
Yes if LE classifies this as a cold case it means that they are no longer pursuing their investigation and will wait for a reason to reopen it. And yes, it's a very, very, very good thing there is a PI on the case and hopefully he can help keep LE on the ball.
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_case[/ame]

This is my first post, but I have been following since the beginning. I saw someone mention this, but I don't know if the link was posted. Missing woman from Shreveport (blonde, curly hair, left on foot). I'm on my phone, and I can't get the dang link to work, but if you go to KSLA.com it is on their main page.

:Welcome1:

So two weeks into their investigation and they were already throwing out the term "cold case" in relation to this case.

While I share your frustration about the lack of information from LE, I think you should keep in mind the context of those statements. They were in response to a journalist asking questions.

So the concept of a "cold case" likely originated from the questions that the reporter was asking, and LE was responding saying that they were nowhere near that classification.

I think there were plenty of other people besides BW who could (and probably did) confirm for LE that she wasn't feeling well/was hungover.

She had been out with her sister the night before. Presuming her sister was staying at the family home, I'm sure she and her sister discussed it the next day if Mickey wasn't feeling well.

And remember that the night she disappeared, she and BW were with their group of friends at Artmosphere. Surely she at least made an offhand comment about not feeling well, or told someone when asked why she wasn't having a drink that night.

I agree that during a bad hangover a bike ride wouldn't be a preferred activity for me. IMHO, her hangover probably just left her feeling under the weather; not awful. Combine that with knowing she had to go to her brother's graduation the next day and she may have felt well enough to be out and about but bad enough to mention it to her friends and refrain from drinking.

:welcome:

Because of the piercings on the torso? That was released in MSM, so if she knew Mickey did not have that many piercings on her torso she would know it wasn't her body.

LE may have told her the next day when other "parts" (I hate saying that~) started washing up she knew mickey didn't have the tattoos???
~jmo

FWIW I am also a cyclist. Riding with a hangover or not feeling well is nothing- as a matter of fact when I was younger I would specifically ride my bike with a hangover to help clear out my system so I would feel better sooner. Unless I am unable to move,I will always ride my bike with a headache or illness-biking is a comfort in a way.

So at 22 to ride when not feeling well is normal cyclist behavior IMO. I also saw where Craft said in the NG transcript upthread they have a lot of cycling traffic at that time of night; so I further see why she was comfortable riding.

While I share your frustration about the lack of information from LE, I think you should keep in mind the context of those statements. They were in response to a journalist asking questions.

So the concept of a "cold case" likely originated from the questions that the reporter was asking, and LE was responding saying that they were nowhere near that classification.
The context of the statements is exactly what bothers me. If you reread my post, you will see the police chief mentions that he has asked HIS people several times if they are ready to call this a cold case.

It doesn't matter what they label it...a case is "cold" when new, promising leads stop coming in. I think this happens a lot sooner than people like to think, in most cases. Just because people call in "tips" does not mean they are anything remotely helpful. Lots of tips consist of suggestions and theories.

If the family is unable to pressure LE into keeping Mickey in the public eye after just weeks, then I don't know what chance they have...this case seems to already be at the stage of other cases that are a year old, or older...

JMO

Let's think for a minute about the k-9 units. She rode there earlier that day, apparently hung over, which surprises me. I cannot imagine riding a bike hungover. I would think the headache would be unbearable, especially with the sun shining in your face. If the dogs ran her routes, they may have picked up her scent from earlier in the day. I could see how that would be confusing to the investigation.

One more thing, we only have BW to say she was hungover. I have a hard time believing that someone would climb on a bike early in the day while headachey and nauseous and ride four miles. Not saying young people do not do things like that, I just think it would be rough.

I don't think she was still really hungover that evening from the night before. I remember a few times in college where I had drank a lot the night before and woke up feeling pretty badly, felt better later in the day, but the thought of alcohol made me wanna hurl. I'm thinking MS felt fine enough to ride her bike and go out, but the thought of alcohol after she had gotten sick from it the night/morning prior made her decide not to drink that night, if that makes sense. I think she was tired from partying the night before and grossed out by the thought of drinking alcohol at Artmosphere because of how much she had drank the night before. I had to take some nights off during my wild senior year of college drinking bonanza....

Wow, I did not know that LE was already throwing out the "cold case" term....especially in the manner they are saying it in. There are cases that are YEARS old and LE insists that it's not a cold case. That word has a very bad connotation. It basically means that there are no new leads, LE has nothing to work with, and it's filed away in a drawer somewhere.

eileenhawkeye, each LE agency has its own interpretation of a cold case. In TN, cases are considered open til solved, yet it seems that successful investigations of missing persons are rare. Holly Bobo's abduction investigation is going on 15 months now, without a peep from the TBI in over a year. The motto of the TBI is "that guilt shall not escape, nor innocence suffer".

* Anyone know if LSP is asisting in the investigation and if not, why not?

Louisiana State Police - About Us - LSP History

www.lsp.org › About Us
Louisiana State Police is an organization with an incredibly rich history.
LSP - motto:

"Courtesy, Loyalty, Service"

What Is a Cold Case?

Sidebar to the article Cold Cases: Resources for Agencies, Resolution for Families by Charles Heurich
http://www.nij.gov/journals/260/what-is-cold-case.htm
The definition of a cold case varies from agency to agency. The National Institute of Justice currently defines a cold case as any case whose probative investigative leads have been exhausted. In essence, this means a case that is only a few months old may be defined as being "cold."

The more I think about it, the cold case statements are probably not what they are aiming towards, but that doesn't take away from the fact that those statements are completely idiotic. They had just found the bike (we know it can take weeks to get fully analyzed), in the same article was talking about all the leads coming in and the police chief is talking about asking officers if this is a cold case. If this wasn't a tragic situation I would be laughing.

Let's think for a minute about the k-9 units. She rode there earlier that day, apparently hung over, which surprises me. I cannot imagine riding a bike hungover. I would think the headache would be unbearable, especially with the sun shining in your face. If the dogs ran her routes, they may have picked up her scent from earlier in the day. I could see how that would be confusing to the investigation.

ah, such a shame we can't sleuth all the sleuthworthy. Riding bike = hang over cure.. def feel better not worse, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockDuck