LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling that her family thinks she may be alive and being held captive by someone, and they do not want any one setting them off and putting her in further danger. ? ???

I get the feeling that her family thinks she may be alive and being held captive by someone, and they do not want any one setting them off and putting her in further danger. ? ???

Whether or not they have valid reason to think this...I guess it would be the only thing one could think and stay sane...

South East of Baton Rouge. The name of the city is Houma. Most people know Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette. We are kind of in the middle of all three. Actually if you look at the map, you might think we were in the Gulf :)

Nah, I would assume you live in the marsh! Just kidding. I've seen many models of the Mississippi re-routing and taking your town/city and mine (live in Iberville parish off LA-1). I also know what you mean about white trucks, but there aren't as many Chevy Silverado Z-71 four doors as there are standard package Chevys and GMCs. Those details make the truck stand out at least a little bit more in my area.

Worth mentioning possibly is the fact that if you were to go to most chemical plants around here, you would find the majority of the people that work there drive pickup trucks. Many of them are very nice pickup trucks. For me, just try driving north on LA-1 toward I-10 at 5:30pm in the afternoon, you'll see plenty. Still, white Chevy 4-door Z-71s would likely be less than a handful.

South East of Baton Rouge. The name of the city is Houma. Most people know Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette. We are kind of in the middle of all three. Actually if you look at the map, you might think we were in the Gulf :)

Thank you for that information.
One more question if you don't mind. And if you know.
Any locals please post if you can answer

If I take I10 east and get off at the 121 exit I believe it is.
It goes into Bayou Rd S. What is this road primarily used for?

And there is a french-mans wilderness camp. Anything you know about it?

I believe but not certain they searched water named Atchafalaya.

It looks like that is the first exit one could take after leaving the bridge area. Would it take just a few minutes to get there, or is it farther on out I10 east than it appears?

Does anyone have experience in profiling a perp's behavior following a crime such as this? It seems that it would be helpful if residents were well versed in how a person such as this might behave following the abduction.

Let me be clear, I have no expertise in this regard, but feel that the perpetrator will act in a way that someone will notice, i.e., if they are the driver of the DWT then removal of the Z71 sticker would be a quick action. Avoiding the scene of the crime and maybe even relocating out of the neighborhood or changing jobs might be something this person would do, IMO. Painting or selling the truck to distance themselves from involvement could have already happened.

Just thinking that maybe Social Media (WS) profiling experts might have good intel to offer Lafayette residents and help encourage that person who is maybe suspecting their neighbor because of odd behavior, but thinking, surely not, call the tip line.

Yes, even almost 3 decades later a Mother will still have hope..

http://video.tbo.com/v/21871733/cold-case-jennifer-martilez.htm

Cold Case:Jennifer Martilez

Jennifer Marteliz. DOB: 06/09/1975, Missing: 11/15/1982. Race: White/Hisp. Sex: Female. Height: 4' 0", Hair: Black. Weight: 60, Eye: Dark Brown ...

Does anyone have experience in profiling a perp's behavior following a crime such as this? It seems that it would be helpful if residents were well versed in how a person such as this might behave following the abduction.

Let me be clear, I have no expertise in this regard, but feel that the perpetrator will act in a way that someone will notice, i.e., if they are the driver of the DWT then removal of the Z71 sticker would be a quick action. Avoiding the scene of the crime and maybe even relocating out of the neighborhood or changing jobs might be something this person would do, IMO. Painting or selling the truck to distance themselves from involvement could have already happened.

Just thinking that maybe Social Media (WS) profiling experts might have good intel to offer Lafayette residents and help encourage that person who is maybe suspecting their neighbor because of odd behavior, but thinking, surely not, call the tip line.

Often, LE will announce to the public various things to watch out for, i.e. a person who has quit their job or not shown up after the crime, has changed their habits, been acting oddly, sold a vehicle, been seen cleaning one, etc...but have not heard LE do this, with Mickey's case.

sendMap.asp

Map where Houma is in relation to the three main S. Louisiana cities.

Hey JWhite,
Welcome to WS!

Can you tell us if posters for Mickey are up and down the bayou?

Wondering if we need to do more to get posters down south.

Whether or not they have valid reason to think this...I guess it would be the only thing one could think and stay sane...

So true. They have to continue to have hope. None of us ever want to be in their shoes and part of me thinks if it was me, I would stay far away from social media sites, and yet the other part of me would want to read every word written about my family member.

So many cold facts and statistics are discussed here, so many different opinions, that family doesn't want to consider. Those of us that have followed missing persons cases know the harsh reality. Most of the victims are deceased before they are even reported missing. But we still continue to hope and no disrespect is meant to the family or victim. So many of the posters here have lived through their own nightmares.

I rarely post but read daily. Like everyone else I think of Mickey and wish there was some miracle answer. I am impressed by all the locals who have been the eyes and ears on the ground for all of us that are miles away and can't get out and search. You have a great community, and we all know the bottom line is we all want Mickey brought home.

hmm i can't see how this could possibly be linked to MS?

Well, if you read the entire story and look at the entire scenario it does get a littlemore interesting. First of all, there were 3 suspicious fires that night. Secondly, the area is Johnston street in the right vicinity. Third, one of the other buildings that had a fire alarm that night was a pressurewashingbusiness also -- which would lead an enquiring mind to believe that pressure washers were high on the list of needed items by the perps that night and also -- the car parts that were taken were very interesting. The back tail lights were stolen, the right inside door panel and the air conditioning vent plastic thingees. The truck that they were stolen from was GM, interchangeable with GM trucks.

Now, with that information, one could glean that since MS was taken possibly in a white truck that perhaps sustained some damage, that the arsonist was particularly interested in truck parts and pressure washers, and probably building materials of some sort.

I do believe it is possible that this crime is related to MS. Thought I would just expound a bit -- thank you for giving me the floor. Adieu.

Welcome to Websleuths, Aviatrix! Great info! Was the pressure washing business a place that sells pressure washers or was it more like a car wash?

If you see any Z71 with a Help find Mickey poster.
Take down there license plate number and call it in.
He may be acting and appearing as normal as anyone

Many serial killers commit arson before and during their killing periods.

I know we are all sick of the truck talk, but by process of elimination, it really shouldn't be THAT hard for LE to find that truck. I know we all see tons of white trucks in the area. BUT, not many are 4 door Z71s. I see more 4 door fords etc and Chevy 4x4s. There aren't nearly as many z71 stickers as there are 4x4s.

So, If they TRY, they should be able to find the DWT.

3 DWTiq on Delmar STL Mo in the hot summer sun. 1 with the tool box.
I never saw this truck before May25th. Now it's the only truck I see.

I'm glad ppl have piped up about the tool box in the Mickey way truck.
I thought they meant the usual diamond stamped contractor tool box that trucks have in the very front of the bed and underneath the rear truck window. Am I correct in saying the z71 also has a tool box that runs along the right wheel well? Those aren't for contractor tools, are they? I'm not familiar with these. I'd like to see one. I can't make visual sense out of the right rear wheel well area of DWTiq.

I've never thought the other way truck was the same vehicle, I haven't spent much time sleuthing it.

The silence of LE lets mean phantoms take shape and occupy the nothingness.

Often, LE will announce to the public various things to watch out for, i.e. a person who has quit their job or not shown up after the crime, has changed their habits, been acting oddly, sold a vehicle, been seen cleaning one, etc...but have not heard LE do this, with Mickey's case.

Obviously (and let me add, THANK GOD), Lafayette LE do not deal with abductions often, so it's understandable that they may have to consult with outside resources to cover all basis for Mickey's case. I would think that this would be a beneficial step to take. Wonder if Mickey's Social Media Crew would be open to pushing this information out via their facebook page or adding something to the posters?

It seems that many times the perp's name will be cleared early on in an investigation because they offered an alibi or because their interview with LE revealed nothing suspicious. It's then that their behavior in the weeks or months following the crime starts to become odd in hindsight. But since they have already been cleared or set aside as not a strong POI that they escape detection and perhaps move to another area. They are then free to commit yet another similar crime in the next place they land.:twocents:

Thank you for that information.
One more question if you don't mind. And if you know.
Any locals please post if you can answer

If I take I10 east and get off at the 121 exit I believe it is.
It goes into Bayou Rd S. What is this road primarily used for?

And there is a french-mans wilderness camp. Anything you know about it?

I believe but not certain they searched water named Atchafalaya.

It looks like that is the first exit one could take after leaving the bridge area. Would it take just a few minutes to get there, or is it farther on out I10 east than it appears?

I don't live in that part of LA, but did participate in searches in that area. Bayou Road South runs along the river with numerous homes and camps and lots of wooded acreage.

I am glad for your sense of self-defense and awareness. I do think you could be followed even if you are careful - but only if it was someone you knew or had daily contact with such that your suspicions weren't aroused.

doubtful. My Grandfather was full Cherokee. I was fishing at four, and at six he realized my love of nature and taught me everything he knew. I am the type of person who follows people undetected~~ but never would.

After my divorce, my ex would sit in the parking lot of my apt complex. He always thought I was unaware, it only assured me I needed to go far away.

So I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member