LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't honestly agree that the recently released document tells us "they have a lot on him". We know more about searches, warrants, statements, etc., etc., true -- but we do not know about the results or the information or whatever so obtained.

The document does give us a better idea of what the scope of the investigation thus far has been.

Wow! So much LE has on him!
Since they are going for the death penalty, do you think he might confess, tell where he placed Mickey, tell of other murders he committed, etc.?
For life in prison instead of dp?

kkdj, imo, the death penalty has lost its effectiveness in plea negotiations because it is seldom carried out and comes with special perks that a life sentence doesn't provide.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...iana-death-penalty-an-eye-an-eye-ineffective-

"Most people believe that some people ought to get the death penalty — there are some crimes that are so bad that the person who commits (them) ought to be given the death penalty, if convicted," said death penalty expert Burk Foster, a former University of Louisiana-Lafayette criminal justice associate professor now teaching in Michigan.

Others insist the law is distorted and ineffective. Eight Louisiana death row inmates have been exonerated of their alleged crimes. More sentences overturned in recent years paired with fewer executions have all but already abolished the state's death penalty, they say.

"It's not as easy to get a death penalty (verdict) and certainly not (easy to) get one at this point," said Sabine District Attorney Don Burkett, who helped put three men on death row while district attorney for DeSoto and Sabine parishes. "I don't know how effective the death penalty is because there are so few being carried out."

Dwindling executions
The last execution in Louisiana was in May 2002. Leslie Dale Martin was put to death by lethal injection for the 1991 rape and killing of a 19-year-old college student. No other execution is scheduled, said Pam Laborde, Louisiana Department of Corrections spokeswoman.

What do you think that would represent?

That drugs may be involved, directly or indirectly.
It has been stated that he would be drug tested for work so he may not have been a user. But you never know.

I doubt he will accept a plea and tell where Mickey is; he did a deal before because he would get out of prison sooner; that is never going to happen again, i.e. he will die in prison either way once convicted and as we know, the DP can still mean decades of life and in some ways, you almost have more benefits, i.e. years of automatic appeals covered by the state, etc...I can see him sitting in prison into his 50's, smug and still denying any guilt.

kkdj, imo, the death penalty has lost its effectiveness in plea negotiations because it is seldom carried out and comes with special perks that a life sentence doesn't provide.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...iana-death-penalty-an-eye-an-eye-ineffective-

"Most people believe that some people ought to get the death penalty — there are some crimes that are so bad that the person who commits (them) ought to be given the death penalty, if convicted," said death penalty expert Burk Foster, a former University of Louisiana-Lafayette criminal justice associate professor now teaching in Michigan.

Others insist the law is distorted and ineffective. Eight Louisiana death row inmates have been exonerated of their alleged crimes. More sentences overturned in recent years paired with fewer executions have all but already abolished the state's death penalty, they say.

"It's not as easy to get a death penalty (verdict) and certainly not (easy to) get one at this point," said Sabine District Attorney Don Burkett, who helped put three men on death row while district attorney for DeSoto and Sabine parishes. "I don't know how effective the death penalty is because there are so few being carried out."

Dwindling executions
The last execution in Louisiana was in May 2002. Leslie Dale Martin was put to death by lethal injection for the 1991 rape and killing of a 19-year-old college student. No other execution is scheduled, said Pam Laborde, Louisiana Department of Corrections spokeswoman.

bbm

When Martin returned to his aunt's home, in DeQuincy, Louisiana, where he was residing at the time, he was wearing different pants than he wore at the time he left the previous evening, and he had no shirt or shoes. He washed his clothes and his truck seat cover, telling his aunt that they got muddy when he engaged in mud slinging with Roland. Martin also had scratches on his chest and back, a bite mark on his shoulder, and a tear under his tongue. He told his cousin he had fought with a "country boy" in the lounge.

Martin talked about a shed in Iowa, a town in Calcasieu Parish, and related that he had put a rope around the girl's neck, choked her, cut her throat, dug her eyes out, and jumped up and down on a wooden board placed across her neck. In response to a question, Martin asserted that he did not want to be turned in for rape again.

In 1984, Martin had raped his own 14-year-old sister at knifepoint while their mother was in the hospital. He was sentenced to 10 years for sexual battery but served only five.

ANOTHER sex offender that was let out to kill and rape again. :furious:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Dale_Martin"]Leslie Dale Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

well i give a pat on the back for inmates coming forward for LP back in 2008

Lisa Pate's family has waited 13 years for answers. She has not had a thread here at WS to my knowledge and probably no where for her family to turn to ask for help.

These 2 ladies will forever be linked even though her name is not on the opening thread. I pray they get the answers with respect to the events that surrounded her death.

I don't know what the protocols are with respect to adding her name to the opening thread as she is technically not missing. The prosecutors are presenting both cases at the same time. Maybe some mods can help with this one as it seems she has had virtually no voice for a great number of years.

Lisa Pate's family has waited 13 years for answers. She has not had a thread here at WS to my knowledge and probably no where for her family to turn to ask for help.

These 2 ladies will forever be linked even though her name is not on the opening thread. I pray they get the answers with respect to the events that surrounded her death.

I don't know what the protocols are with respect to adding her name to the opening thread as she is technically not missing. The prosecutors are presenting both cases at the same time. Maybe some mods can help with this one as it seems she has had virtually no voice for a great number of years.

When this moves to the "trials" thread down the road...I am sure it will cover both women. Maybe by then, Mickey will have been found as well.

When this moves to the "trials" thread down the road...I am sure it will cover both women. Maybe by then, Mickey will have been found as well.

I am hoping the mods can be their very creative selves as this trial could be a few years down the road. I as well hope that MS body is found very soon as well. It is though my asylum and I often live in a different world :giggle:

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does is say in this 24 page court document that they have a statement that the suspect made about Mickey on/around April 21st? Would this mean he knew her prior to the crime was committed? Would this mean premeditated murder? Someone pick this apart lol. Thanks.

Dwindling executions

Firefox, actually the last execution in Louisiana was Gerald Bordelon in January, 2010. Agree though that death penalty is still very difficult to complete.

http://theadvocate.com/csp/mediapoo...ates/FullStoryPrint.csp?cid=2482146&preview=y

I don't know how it works in La., but in my previous state of residence, a consent to search was almost seen as routine if one did not have something to hide. For example, a girl vanished from a night club, and LE interviewed those who were last seen with her. It wasn't unusual for LE to ask whether they could peek in a purse, in the car, etc. Often used to rule out individuals as a suspect ir POI. Most people were happy to comply, bc they shift could focus elsewhere.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does is say in this 24 page court document that they have a statement that the suspect made about Mickey on/around April 21st? Would this mean he knew her prior to the crime was committed? Would this mean premeditated murder? Someone pick this apart lol. Thanks.

I personally do not believe that the statement references Mickey specifically, but rather some other incriminating statement that may jeopardize whatever alibi he might have to offer. Just speculating: do we know the date he allegedly offered $500 for a drivers license w/o the RSO designation? Or perhaps he made a statement to a 3rd party about filing to have RSO removed from file. It could be a statement to someone else that he'd be offshore from x date to y date. Lots of possibilities, IMO.

I doubt he will accept a plea and tell where Mickey is; he did a deal before because he would get out of prison sooner; that is never going to happen again, i.e. he will die in prison either way once convicted and as we know, the DP can still mean decades of life and in some ways, you almost have more benefits, i.e. years of automatic appeals covered by the state, etc...I can see him sitting in prison into his 50's, smug and still denying any guilt.

Yes, but I think with the DP you are isolated and only get recreation time once a week. With life he would get a little more socialization and rec time.

Yes, but I think with the DP you are isolated and only get recreation time once a week. With life he would get a little more socialization and rec time.

I just can't see him admitting he killed these two women; he seems to have an inability to admit any wrongdoing on his part. If he accepts a plea, he would have to not only tell where Mickey is, but go over each crime in great detail, and it would have to match the evidence they have. And he would lose the "benefit" not only of appeals but of claiming wrongful conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne