LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I passed by the headquarters today and donated a couple of hundred bucks to the effort. I believe this is the best way to help other than offering your time. It lets them buy the stuff they need instead of getting gallons of water they don't need.

And please, when will women learn that YOU CANNOT SAFELY RIDE YOUR BIKE AT 2AM!!! PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU OR BETTER YET GET A RIDE FROM A FRIEND.

This whole thing could have been avoided if she just listened to advice that I've been telling my kids since they were 8 years old.

And no, 21 year olds do not feel invincible and fell they can do these kind of things. I know many that are shocked she would do something like that. What a waste of a beautiful kind woman because she did not follow common sense.

Sadly, these things can happen anywhere at any time. Clearly she felt safe enough to do it having made the ride plenty of times with no incident. The more you do something with no bad experiences, the more comfortable you feel. Just because you wouldn't do it (believe me, I wouldn't either!) doesn't mean people don't do it every single day without incident. A little compassion goes a long way.

Agree. It's easy to blame the victim. Whether she was riding her bike at 2AM or 2PM shouldn't matter. If she was stalked, a calculating individual could have abducted her at any time of the day.

Sadly, these things can happen anywhere at any time. Clearly she felt safe enough to do it having made the ride plenty of times with no incident. The more you do something with no bad experiences, the more comfortable you feel. Just because you wouldn't do it (believe me, I wouldn't either!) doesn't mean people don't do it every single day without incident. A little compassion goes a long way.
Well-said.

I'm trying to catch up, was almost afraid to get to the last page, since I heard the bike find news. I agree that it's possibly a plant by whoever's responsible

I'm more frightened for this young lady's safety now.

I stopped reading the FB page because it sometimes makes no sense & I can't imagine how excruciating the frantic tone must be for the family. I don't know if I could survive such a nightmare.

I know if I read through what's posted here, the wheat will be separated from the chaff. It's a tremendous resource and I appreciate reading the impressively detailed and well thought out posts, even when I'm slightly wary of the next page.

I continue to hope Mickey will be found.

Derek Todd Lee was an offender http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=571157&AgencyID=54068
I guess when your hands are tied and you really don't have anywhere else to search, you just go for the only options.

Was he an RSO first before becoming a serial killer? I just read about him two days ago but I remember more about his victims. I know they said they hadn't profiled a black man for the type of crimes he did as they said, serial killers usually stick to targeting their own race. They said he had an early history of peeping Tom like activity and, I think, hurting animals along with an IQ under 70. These aren't typical RSO traits that I'm aware of. Also he was married, cheated on his wife repeatedly and left two bodies (the ones he was convicted for killing?) nearby where MS's bike was found today? Is that right?

If DTL was a RSO first, he's part of the one percent that go on to becoming murderers. The Sheriff's point is that they had checked out every RSO is the area pertaining to SL's disappearance but the guy who is connected wasn't on the list. I found that interesting because you could potentially waste alot of time and resources in the beginning of a case checking out the obvious peeps while it's the extreme whackjob (who hasn't been caught yet) who is doing the heinous crimes. Nobody said it's impossible that the perp is an RSO.

Well, I'm certainly a lousy sleuth - I guess I could fail my way upward, lol. The thing I like to do best on here is provide good MSM links because they're fuel for the fire. Sleuth-wise, it would be an even proposition whether I could find my way out of a room with two doors, both ajar, and all the windows unlocked.

Geez...there's doors and windows? I didn't even notice....
:detective:

Should probably look for that car on craig's list, too. After all this publicity they might want to get rid of it quickly.

The Whiskey Bay bridge cam is immediately south of the Sherburne Wildlife Management Area, and you're going to want to select the East-facing camera to see anything.

I would think these DOT cameras surrounding the area where the bike was found, could be the huge break they need. Especially, if they are able to see a vehicle stopped on the bridge or one of the cars caught on a camera before or after the bridge that may match one of the three they saw in the area where she was biking. Does the DOT keep the footage from these cameras? If so, surely LE is looking at it.

Was he an RSO first before becoming a serial killer? I just read about him two days ago but I remember more about his victims. I know they said they hadn't profiled a black man for the type of crimes he did as they said, serial killers usually stick to targeting their own race. They said he had an early history of peeping Tom like activity and, I think, hurting animals along with an IQ under 70. These aren't typical RSO traits that I'm aware of. Also he was married, cheated on his wife repeatedly and left two bodies (the ones he was convicted for killing?) nearby where MS's bike was found today? Is that right?

If DTL was a RSO first, he's part of the one percent that go on to becoming murderers. The Sheriff's point is that they had checked out every RSO is the area pertaining to SL's disappearance but the guy who is connected wasn't on the list. I found that interesting because you could potentially waste alot of time and resources in the beginning of a case checking out the obvious peeps while it's the extreme whackjob (who hasn't been caught yet) who is doing the heinous crimes. Nobody said it's impossible that the perp is an RSO.

His offense date was 1998, I lived right by one of his victims in 2002-2003 (yoder) and I remember they were looking for him him when I lived there. He was first arrested at age 17 for peeping in windows.

I am having trouble thinking up a good reason for ditching the bike where it was found, if indeed Mickie is unharmed at this point...can't come up with one. :(

The Whiskey Bay bridge cam is immediately south of the Sherburne Wildlife Management Area, and you're going to want to select the East-facing camera to see anything.

ok I give up. What do you see? lol

Welcome to WS! :seeya:

I am having trouble thinking up a good reason for ditching the bike where it was found, if indeed Mickie is unharmed at this point...can't come up with one. :(
It does require certain mental calisthenics to keep hope alive.

I would think these DOT cameras surrounding the area where the bike was found, could be the huge break they need. Especially, if they are able to see a vehicle stopped on the bridge or one of the cars caught on a camera before or after the bridge that may match one of the three they saw in the area where she was biking. Does the DOT keep the footage from these cameras? If so, surely LE is looking at it.

IMO, they definitely are. They probably have a timeline, so it may be quicker. But they have to check every detail since it could be a recent drop that wasn't done on the same night.

Really, on the "blonde girl disappearance" thing, chances any are related are remote. There are enough crazy people in each of the missing girls's areas to account for their having gone missing. Occam's razor works against a single individual or individuals being involved in more than one of the cases. In the totality of individuals who have disappeared, the percentage of those who have lost their lives at the hands of repeat offenders is very small.

I hear ya - but how are the amateurs getting away with disappearing the bodies of these young women? Even Scott P. couldn't hide Laci's body for long.

It does require certain mental calisthenics to keep hope alive.

Ain't happenin', Woof, as we both know. So sad. Praying for some type of recovery to aid the family and to bring justice against this perp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery