LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've been wondering: is the family of the victim usually notified of any new developments before the information is released to the press and the public? Does anyone know what the standard procedure is? Just asking because in the past couple of days there have been quite a few indignant posts on the Find Mickey Shunick Now FB page by (I'm assuming) a family member, claiming that news sources have been out of line. This doesn't really have any bearing on the case, just wondering. I've seen a few replies to those posts that are taking the media's side; I hope this doesn't become bitter, because everyone needs to work together.

I think sometimes family doesn't want to believe what is being reported because it might point to a negative outcome. They want to still believe their daughter/sister/etc. is still alive and for instance, believing that her bike was found doesn't really point to that conclusion.

The police do communicate with the family before announcing the positive ID of a body for sure. I think everything else depends on that particular LE agency.

I'll bite. (Ever the optimist, if you can call it that in this situation.)

Let's say you abducted someone and are holding them for your own purposes. The heat is on and you still have that darn bike in the back of your truck. You better ditch it. But, you don't want to ditch it locally or they have a better chance of tracing it back to you. It's probably better to ditch it somewhere where it looks like you were headed far away.

Or, you've abducted someone for human trafficking purposes. You are headed along I-10 and don't want to keep extraneous evidence along with you. You stop and ditch the bike and then continue on.

Possible?

I guess so, but I would be more worried about being caught with a young woman in my vehicle than a bike...JMO

:banghead:

Er... guess should prob disregard the previous link. It appears it was already checked out and is not relevant.

In the Bloomington disappearance the truck was ruled out after the driver came forward and was interviewed by LE.

I think it is exceedingly rare that a person is abducted and kept alive for more than an hour or two.

I think the only hope that she is alive is if she decided to leave on her own accord. Of course she would want to get rid of her bicycle if that were the case.

Should probably look for that car on craig's list, too. After all this publicity they might want to get rid of it quickly.

Ugh, just spent some time on craigslist. Always a regrettable experience. Any one of those listings under the missed connections, searching etc ads could be an evil dude looking for his next victim. There were a couple of cars that fit the description of the older model car for sale. I don't want to link them bc most likely it's just some poor guy trying to honestly sell his used car. But, may be worth a peek for anyone who is interested. Specifically, there was a light colored vehicle that matched the description given by chickenfried in an earlier post and a goldish colored caddilac.

In an ideal world certainly the family would be informed first; I know they're frustrated, we all would be - but a newsgathering organization does just that: gathers news, and presents it to its reading or viewing public. They have not been out of line here, that I can see. The nature of newsgathering is to get there first.

I agree on the nature of newsgathering, absolutely. It is what it is, and it's business.

I'm a purist and an idealist, though. :) I personally (and perhaps errantly) hold the media to a high standard for accuracy and human compassion. After all, there is a contemplative, literate human being behind each article. I tend to think the journalist as an individual should hold themselves to a higher standard, especially in cases like this where victims' families deserve, at the very least, the privilege of priority.

M(friendly)OO!

Can anyone tell from where at the Whiskey Bay Exit the press photo of the police cars was taken?

To me it looks closer to the Butte La Rose exit from Whiskey Bay, judging by how the bridge is at a slope. The bike apparently wasn't in the water. My logic is only based on the fact that this specific bridge doesn't touch the ground much, except for the exits. And our suspect had to have been traveling East-bound as well.

I agree on the nature of newsgathering, absolutely. It is what it is, and it's business.

I'm a purist and an idealist, though. :) I personally (and perhaps errantly) hold the media to a high standard for accuracy and human compassion. After all, there is a contemplative, literate human being behind each article. I tend to think the journalist as an individual should hold themselves to a higher standard, especially in cases like this where victims' families deserve, at the very least, the privilege of priority.

M(friendly)OO!
I know. And understand.

The rules - ever on a sliding scale in the first place - changed precipitously with the advent of high-speed internet; and not for the better.

To me it looks closer to the Butte La Rose exit from Whiskey Bay, judging by how the bridge is at a slope. The bike apparently wasn't in the water. My logic is only based on the fact that this specific bridge doesn't touch the ground much, except for the exits. And our suspect had to have been traveling East-bound as well.

I agree.

Atchafalaya traffic cams? Atchafalaya exits? Baton Rouge bridge cams???

Oh, please let there be some substantiative footage!! Please!!

I guess so, but I would be more worried about being caught with a young woman in my vehicle than a bike...JMO

That would presume that she is still in your vehicle. Perhaps she is being held somewhere and the bike was dropped a couple of days later, well out of town to take the heat off.

Still hoping for good news, even if it's a longshot!

I know. And understand.

The rules - ever on a sliding scale in the first place - changed precipitously with the advent of high-speed internet; and not for the better.

I know you know, wfgodot. :) It's an internal and social conflict that transcends and transcends. I think this generation will produce some pretty heavy literature on it.

And I'll be another dinosaur who actually remembers the days before the personal computer.

This is more a question for the mods, whom I know are very busy this weekend, but, maybe there are some seasoned WS vets here who could answer for me. I have seen a few links to random blogs. I was under the impression that these are typically not allowed bc they are viewed as opinion and therefore not MSM. Is this true?

And, please to our new members, I respect you and your imput greatly. This is not directed at anyone in particular. I only want to be sure that Mickey's thread maintains the highest level of WS TOS integrity.

This is the street view from where the pic was found. I was at the wrong exit.
In the press photo, it seems all of the cars are parked right here at the boat launch. I don't know...why ditch the bike right there? It's so easy to be found.

Attachments

• bikefound.jpg
    bikefound.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 75
:waitasec: Why only east-bound?

Atchafalaya traffic cams? Atchafalaya exits? Baton Rouge bridge cams???

Oh, please let there be some substantiative footage!! Please!!

I sure hope they do. However if this is a "plant of evidence" by the suspect much after the crime, my suspicion, then LPD and FBI will have a timeline from hell to work with.

Regarding FBI involvement...I graduated from UL in Criminal Justice, and we were taught that the FBI usually becomes involved if they believe that the crime has crossed state or international lines, at the request of local law enforcement if resources are available (Lafayette has a FBI office, or at least they did 5 years ago when I was in school), when a missing person's case is believed to be a kidnapping (not always, but often) or when the crime is a federal crime. Other instances can get them involved, but those are the main ones.

For them to be involved in the case so early on, I would believe that they were thinking it was similar to other cases and possibly a nationwide offender OR they had reason to believe it was a kidnapping early on. The next likely reason would be at the request of local LE.

I sure hope they do. However if this is a "plant of evidence" by the suspect much after the crime, my suspicion, then LPD and FBI will have a timeline from hell to work with.

But, at least they will have a timeline and potential surveillance footage. So many times people vanish without leaving any trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx