LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, just spent some time on craigslist. Always a regrettable experience. Any one of those listings under the missed connections, searching etc ads could be an evil dude looking for his next victim. There were a couple of cars that fit the description of the older model car for sale. I don't want to link them bc most likely it's just some poor guy trying to honestly sell his used car. But, may be worth a peek for anyone who is interested. Specifically, there was a light colored vehicle that matched the description given by chickenfried in an earlier post and a goldish colored caddilac.

And a couple of similar trucks, too. Hope LE is checking out Craigslist.

:waitasec: Why only east-bound?

Well... because travelling from Lafayette to that location would require them to travel East. If they passed up the exit and doubled back (west-bound) LE would indeed have more to go on being that the truck would be spotted more than once.

This is more a question for the mods, whom I know are very busy this weekend, but, maybe there are some seasoned WS vets here who could answer for me. I have seen a few links to random blogs. I was under the impression that these are typically not allowed bc they are viewed as opinion and therefore not MSM. Is this true?

And, please to our new members, I respect you and your imput greatly. This is not directed at anyone in particular. I only want to be sure that Mickey's thread maintains the highest level of WS TOS integrity.
Go in fear of anything but MSM - though the internet has produced a quantity of excellent sites, which feature superior reporting: the Gawker Media sites and Huffington Post might be two such, off the top of my head. And there are others.

One should know his or her site and its bona fides and the quality of its professionalism first, before using it as a reference link. But that's hard, and it's all in flux, and good grief, lol. It takes time. Never link to a site where the prose itself is recognizably sub-standard is a good first rule of thumb.

Know if the site is one which pays its "journalists" by the number of unique hits their stories receive - examiner.com and do this, as do others; ibtimes.com is also a no-go. These may try to lure the unwary reader in with headlines which seem to suggest dramatic new knowledge, but produce only oddly skewed takes on existing material.

If something seems new and bright and shiny after you've pored through site after site in a quest for information, it is frequently fool's gold.

This is the street view from where the pic was found. I was at the wrong exit.
In the press photo, it seems all of the cars are parked right here at the boat launch. I don't know...why ditch the bike right there? It's so easy to be found.

It was UNDER the interstate? Then it had to have been physically brought there, no? Not just tossed off the bridge. Which actually doesn't make me feel any better if that is the case. Meaning that the unsub might have had enough time to drive down that way, dump the bike, and...take off again.

Someone made a point that they wanted the bike to be found; not sure as a taunting action or...?

I think it is exceedingly rare that a person is abducted and kept alive for more than an hour or two.

I think the only hope that she is alive is if she decided to leave on her own accord. Of course she would want to get rid of her bicycle if that were the case.

Rare, but not unheard of.
Until LE says they believe otherwise, I will not give up hope. Why? Again, I give you the cases of Jaycee Duggard, Elizabeth Smart, Shawn Hornbeck, and Ben Ownby.

Welcome to all the newcomers .it is scary how we find this forum I know I found this place now called home during the Laci Peterson case 9 years ago and have not left.
The one thing to keep in mind that I try to is this. Remember there is a possibility a relative could read here at one time or another.
So when you post think if your love one was missing would you like to read what you posted.

I always assume someone connected to the family is aggregating comments or at least browsing.

Hi, I have posted to these forums before during the Somer Thompson case. I haven't been on here since then, but I was drawn to this case from another site I frequent, so I decided to check and see what's being said over here. Here is the deal. There is a person on this other site that seems to know way too much. They said look for a white ford before the photos were released and they said she was driven to a secluded place, along with her bike near water. It's kind of creepy the stuff this person is saying.

Did I miss a post about the bike's position on the ground?

If/when LE releases specific information about the bike's exact location in reference to the road below and the bridge above, it'll make speculation so much easier.

It was UNDER the interstate? Then it had to have been physically brought there, no? Not just tossed off the bridge. Which actually doesn't make me feel any better if that is the case. Meaning that the unsub might have had enough time to drive down that way, dump the bike, and...take off again.

Someone made a point that they wanted the bike to be found; not sure as a taunting action or...?

A taunting action...or trying to divert interest in that area instead of locally? Maybe they were feeling pressured because of the media attention on the vehicles and felt this development would be more attention-grabbing?

On an unrelated note, there is a rental house a block over that was recently (2-3 weeks ago) moved into. I drove by today and the tenant was washing the heck out of an extended cab white Chevy...tons of cleaning products being used and it just seemed excessive to me. I reported it as a tip, though I'm probably just being paranoid. I hope tips start leading somewhere soon!

forgive me if this has already been posted, latest article from The Advertiser
not much new info, but descriptive. More at link.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...IKE-FOUND?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

“We’ve got boats on the water, and are looking in the woods as well for any other evidence. We’ve set up a perimeter around the area where the bike was found and are processing the entire area,” Mouton said.

The extensive search included searching the waters in and around Whiskey Bay and the adjacent Atchafalaya Basin, scouring the wooded areas and shoreline, and using helicopters

Go in fear of anything but MSM - though the internet has produced a quantity of excellent sites, which feature superior reporting. One should know his or her site and its bona fides and the quality of its professionalism first, before using it as a reference link. But that's hard, and it's all in flux, and good grief, lol. It takes time. Never link to a site where the prose itself is recognizable as sub-standard is a good first rule of thumb.

BBM
That is so true! There have been a couple of articles I have read recently, both for Mickey's case and for other cases I follow, that were downright appalling. I can only hope the writers are not as blasé about verifing facts as they as are about sentence format, grammar, and spelling.

Hi, I have posted to these forums before during the Somer Thompson case. I haven't been on here since then, but I was drawn to this case from another site I frequent, so I decided to check and see what's being said over here. Here is the deal. There is a person on this other site that seems to know way too much. They said look for a white ford before the photos were released and they said she was driven to a secluded place, along with her bike near water. It's kind of creepy the stuff this person is saying.

I'm extremely skeptical but interested. Was it a comment in reply to a news article?

BBM
That is so true! There have been a couple of articles I have read recently, both for Mickey's case and for other cases I follow, that were downright appalling. I can only hope the writers are not as blasé about verifing facts as they as are about sentence format, grammar, and spelling.

If you're following along on local Lafayette news sites, it's not uncommon at all to have horrible grammar and spelling. It's appalling on a regular basis.

I think that I saw the car you guys are talking about at Albertsons on Ambassador about 3 weeks ago. I got the willies from someone in the store and after I got in my vehicle, I noticed him walk out and get into a beaten up/falling apart land yacht. I just *cannot* remember if it was that dark of a tan, or much lighter. Same body style though. The other issue is that the driver was Caucasian. *shrug*

I've been lurking for the past few days and the post about the car jolted my memory.

Just came inside from some work. Wanted to post that the reason I think it's important to find the car is NOT so much that it's the perp//// remember that the truck is the one that turned around. The reason the car is important is that it may have passed the point of abduction right about when it was going down, if the suspicions raised by the camera images are valid.

We're looking for a WITNESS in that car, hopefully. And why look for the car? It's more distinctive and easier to find. And so playing the easier card has an outside chance of finding a witness in the Cadillac who saw something, which may may it easier to narrow down the search for the white truck, among thousands.

By the way, just so you know, that Caucasian guy who got into the lighter colored land-yacht who "gave you the willies" was probably me. I'm the only Caucasian I have seen in the whole city driving one, and I shop at Albertson's a lot, usually at night. I look rough quite often when I go in there - usually working in the dirt on some car or working on something else at the place, and I'm tired at the end of the evening and my hair is standing up and full of auto grease and my clothes all dusty....

So, try not to get sidetracked. My car is a '78 Lincoln with opera windows in the rear pillar and the car in the photo is a Cadillac. It would cost the police wasted man-hours to check me out.

My car is silver. Now, if you saw a beat-up "land yacht" that was a Cadillac, with body work on the right rear, then that may be the car.

Funny I had to say that, but it's a small town, and I do drive a beat-up land-yacht, and no sense us going in circles.

This is the street view from where the pic was found. I was at the wrong exit.
In the press photo, it seems all of the cars are parked right here at the boat launch. I don't know...why ditch the bike right there? It's so easy to be found.

In the wee hours this morning, I and some other folks were looking at the pics of the truck, the car, etc. Some thought one picture of the car appeared as though it were stopped or slowed down in the street with its front wheels turned slightly left ... almost as if the driver had noticed something odd and was trying to get a better look, possibly.

What if the perp (maybe in one of the white trucks) grabbed Mickey and just left the bike and then just afterward the car comes along ... peeps inside the car see a nice bike maybe just lying in the street or at the curb, no one around... and decide to take it. But then, oh lord, suddenly there's a girl missing and THEN there's their car on TV and the web and everywhere --! They ditch the bike, maybe in a slightly distant spot but where it is likely to be found (because they are bike-snatchers, not human abductors -- and they may want the bike found not only to stop the search for it and it being connected to them, but also because they probably want Mickey found, too, like most folks.)

Just maybe...

From http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...IKE-FOUND?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

"About 50 yards from where investigators worked on Sunday, a missing persons flier bearing Shunick’s description and photo was taped to the pole of a solitary stop sign. Thousands of such fliers have been posted all across Acadiana and the surrounding areas in the past week as hundreds of friends and volunteers took part in the search."

This gave me goosebumps! Was it put there after the flier was posted? Seems like person posting it would have seen the bike.... Makes me think this is taunting or a distraction.

I'm extremely skeptical but interested. Was it a comment in reply to a news article?

No, don't laugh too hard, but it's actually a website devoted to conspiracy theories etc. etc. Not really a site that deals with missing persons or crime. Someone posted a thread about Mickey Shunick on the 21st and this particular person responded with this:

<modsnip>

They then went on to make this statement on the 26th.

<modsnip>

But makjang, I don't know what I would have done in the store to give you "the willies" - except look rough and dirty from work and maybe unshaven. I'm fighting a lot of medical problems and live alone so I don't always shave, but I'm an OK guy. I'm the kind of guy that if your kid disappeared, I would go looking for him/her.

It's OK. I know I don't always look as presentable as I should. Usually too busy fixing something to think about it.

Regarding the family's apparent anger at the releasing of the bike discovery: I think it is possible they DID know Mickey's bike was found, but LE did not want to release the info to the public right away as a means of controlling the situation. It may have been a piece of information that police, and thus the family, were hoping to keep quiet a bit longer and a "leak" resulted in the info getting out. That may be why the family was so upset. I read their posting on the FB page and although they didn't come right out and say that, their wording leads me to believe this is the case

Jmo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member