LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did actual mainstream media report that? I have only seen rumors like that swirling on facebook/twitter as opposed to real media. It is very strange that this post didn't BLOW UP if an MSM source reported that her body was found!

KLFY reported it. I had to interrupt and fuss at a bunch of older people who were just talking blatantly about it in public. It upset me, because they were speaking about it as if it were fact, down to where and when and how. They all told me that the news had reported it the night prior to finding the bike.

Coming into the thread late but have been keeping up on the case, do we have a map anywhere around where the bike was found at Whiskey Bay? TIA

Here also is the live cam of the area where the bike was found.

http://hb.511la.org/multicamera.jsp...189&view2name=I-10@ Whiskey Bay (facing West)

If you have trouble with that, go to this link and click on the Whiskey Bay cam (mouse over to get locations). It's about the 7th one from Lafayette, heading East along I-10, near the Sherburne Wildlife area

http://hb.511la.org/main.jsf?minLat=29.98761&minLon=-92.411499&maxLat=30.511952&maxLon=-91.799011

I was also wondering if the family's issue withe the media was that it was reported that the bike was hers before they had a chance to positively ID it or were they upset because they didn't know that a bike was found at all until the media reported it.

They had not been brought out to ID it, I believe did not even know about it at the time. I believe the two common explanations were that there was either a leak in the police from the scene, or someone picked it up on the scanner.

I was also wondering if the family's issue withe the media was that it was reported that the bike was hers before they had a chance to positively ID it or were they upset because they didn't know that a bike was found at all until the media reported it.

I think LE could have called the family immediately on the discovery, before media got a hold of it. I hope so anyway!

Hi, sorry for commenting on this so late, but I am just reading through the entire thread to catch up.

First off, let me say this. The media around here for the past week has been reporting a lot of false things, such as when the media said they had found her body, in three different locations, on three nights in a row. Among that, numerous news reports stating that she was captured on camera in other cities, and etc. Sure, the bike one was correct, but that does not automatically null every other false report.

Second of all, how would you feel if you were in the families shoes, and you were receiving information AFTER the news made it available to the public? You were the last to know anything, because of a leak and then media? It is a matter of respect. The family should be contacted first.

And the admin is the sister of Mickey. So I understand perfectly her frustration.
By "media around here", are you referring to "mainstream media" such as local TV and broadcast radio stations (and their websites/FB's)? And not just comments posted by individual people at such sites?

I've seen rumors posted (or asked about) by individual people.

I completely understand how heartbreaking it would be for family members to not be informed first (by LE) of important, valid information before it hits the media. :hug: If that is what happened regarding Mickey's bike, I am very sorry that it happened.

And I also understand that family members may be extremely uncomfortable with some of the discussion in this thread (but it is within WS TOS, and if not, the mods edit or delete posts as necessary). Anyone can report a post that seems to violate TOS...by clicking on the little red/white triangle on the upper rite of each post.

Just so you know, WSers are posting within the TOS which allows discussion of information that is in MSM (mainstream media). And often, some info from "official" FB's are allowed. Also, in the forum where this thread resides, we are allowed to speculate (within reason).

There is a separate forum for strictly info and support, and Mickey has a thread there. The discussion forum usually becomes an "all in one" place to post everything (so lots of supportive posts are here, too, mixed in with the discussion about info and speculation).

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173095"]LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

HTH. :hug:

First off, let me say this. The media around here for the past week has been reporting a lot of false things, such as when the media said they had found her body, in three different locations, on three nights in a row. .
Can you provide any links whatsoever that this was so. We have an abundance of top-notch locals posting on this thread and this has never been brought to our attention.

I can't link because I'm on mobile but KATC just posted a link saying that Indiana police contacted Louisiana police about the case, says it bears resemblance to the Lauren Spierer case.

KLFY reported it. I had to interrupt and fuss at a bunch of older people who were just talking blatantly about it in public. It upset me, because they were speaking about it as if it were fact, down to where and when and how. They all told me that the news had reported it the night prior to finding the bike.

Did you actually see the news report it? I'm only asking because rumors have a way of spinning out of control. The people the you heard talking about it may have only been spreading a rumor that they heard. The people here at WS are on top of the news and if it had been actually reported, this board most likely would have been on it.

I've been in Lafayette all weekend and never saw KLFY report that a body had been found. That would have been reposted on FB immediately by 100's of people.

Here is just another theory. I watched a show yesterday about a serial killer in the late 80's early 90's who didn't just kill his victims he made a game out of it. He would see a woman that he wanted and start following her, at some point he would become a social friend of hers (example, buy her a drink and chat for a bit, coincidentally show up at random places that she was at and chat some more). He was always very sweet and non threatening, a perfect gentleman if you will. Then he would make a move. See her alone late at night or something to that effect and offer his help ("it's late, you shouldn't be here alone, I'll drop you at home.") Once they were in his car the real guy would come out and I will spare you the details but they weren't pretty. What if Mickey was approached on the street by someone she "knew" (in the caddy or truck for example) and went willingly cuz she thought they were just going to drop her off. He would have to take the bike too to keep up appearances. I hate to think this way but after watching the show all I could think of was Mickey. She had Mace, seemed to be a very smart girl who would not go quietly. JMO

We just stopped at a rest stop in Alabama (right across Ala/Miss border) and there was a "Find Mickey" flyer poster in the men's restroom. None on the outside or women's restroom though...
But it's crazy how far the effort is obviously going, two states away! And in a restroom, not a road sign or something.

Here also is the live cam of the area where the bike was found.

http://hb.511la.org/multicamera.jsp...189&view2name=I-10@ Whiskey Bay (facing West)

If you have trouble with that, go to this link and click on the Whiskey Bay cam (mouse over to get locations). It's about the 7th one from Lafayette, heading East along I-10, near the Sherburne Wildlife area

http://hb.511la.org/main.jsf?minLat=29.98761&minLon=-92.411499&maxLat=30.511952&maxLon=-91.799011

Well geeze, do those traffic cams keep footage or are they just continuously running?

I've seen plenty of rumors on Facebook but haven't seen any local news station actually reporting that Mickey's body was found. I could be wrong because I don't stay near a tv all the time, and I only check the news websites 3 or 4 times a day. It could have been posted and then removed. But I think someone on here would have caught it.

Out at 3:13 am, Daily Advertiser:

"The mother of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick said she believes her missing daughter is the victim of an accident after police on Sunday found the 22-year-old college student's bicycle under the Whiskey Bay bridge on Interstate 10.

Police say Shunick's bicycle was found about 30 miles east of Lafayette near the swamps of the Atchafalaya Basin, and that Shunick's family confirmed it was her black-and-gold Schwinn.

"We really think that somebody had an accident," said Shunick's mother, Nancy Rowe. "An accident, and maybe hit her bike. What they need to do is go to some truck stop, a public place. Just drop her. By the time that they take an hour to figure out who she is, they can be in another state. Just drop her. Drop her and run. Don't hurt her. A mistake is a mistake."

Read the article here: http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ng-Mickey?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

I'm only on page 8 of this thread so I apologize in advance if someone has posted this already...

This article was posted after the bike was found. I read another article that said LE called the family to identify her bike. If you read this article, her mom says that she believes that Mickey was involved in an accident. I'm wondering if she said this because of the condition of the bike. It's possible that the bike showed evidence of an accident. JS

Well geeze, do those traffic cams keep footage or are they just continuously running?

I don't know those answers. When I watch them, they are jerky, updating every five seconds. No idea if they record but from so high up there's no way to see identifying marks. There are, however, in-lane cameras on the interstate about ten miles closer to Lafayette. I don't know anything about their use or capability.

Just reading up on this case. How awful. I am praying that Mickey is found safe and sound.

That being said, I just can't understand why people think it's safe to go walking (or riding in this case) around at this time of night. I feel like no good can come from being out and about alone in the middle of the night, especially for a young woman like Mickey. If a friend was at my house and told me they were going to attempt to walk or ride home in the middle of the night, I would insist they either stay the night, let me drive them home, or call a cab. I know abductions also happen in the light of day too. But, I feel like a young woman out alone in the middle of the night is just not a good idea. Ever.

I know this comment doesn't really help right now, but I just get so frustrated reading about these cases where young women are out walking around in the middle of the night (i.e. Lauren Spierer). I work at a university and they always send us emails when a crime is reported on or near campus. 95% of the time, they occur in the middle of the night when a student is out alone. Again though, I am praying that Mickey is okay!

I'm only on page 8 of this thread so I apologize in advance if someone has posted this already...

This article was posted after the bike was found. I read another article that said LE called the family to identify her bike. If you read this article, her mom says that she believes that Mickey was involved in an accident. I'm wondering if she said this because of the condition of the bike. It's possible that the bike showed evidence of an accident. JS

That's what I inferred also when I read that article. OTOH, if it had been dropped from the bridge it would have damage also. No way to know at this point.

I don't know those answers. When I watch them, they are jerky, updating every five seconds. No idea if they record but from so high up there's no way to see identifying marks. There are, however, in-lane cameras on the interstate about ten miles closer to Lafayette. I don't know anything about their use or capability.

And on google earth I'm not able to find the exact location where the cam would actually be, but there seems to be a section of the bridge where it looks as if it could be a turn around area.

Here is the website for DOT - just click on the intersection for a real-time video.

ETA You can see the police vehicles and a boat in the water.

What do you mean by the "intersection"? Sorry, I've never looked at DOT before..I did click on what says it's the 'Whiskey Bay' exit but there's NO water to be seen there..What am I missing about that? I also checked it out last night when DOT was linked & from what I could tell there's no way a camera could possibly pick up the make&model of any car driving by..Or much of anything but head lights..Am I missing something on this too? TIA!

eta..I just saw a post above & now I do see the WATER! I was looking at the facing 'WEST'option..Still don't see the area where LE is right now..Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinzstel