LA LA - Old Metairie, Nassau Drive Jane Doe, WhtFem 15-16, dress, heeled shoes, business cards, Jul'79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Beekarina
I have her morgue shot and she doesn’t look much like any of the young women, and only a passing resemblance to the black/white sketch. I can contact the person who sent me her file to see if any swabs are still around but it’s doubtful, and it was the 70s. The Jefferson Parish coroner’s office has the contents of her purse and there were no glasses. A necklace, makeup, small amount of money and a few personal items. Jefferson Parish Sheriff has her dress, heels, purse and panty hose (in July in the coastal South?)

If any of y’all can do better with Othram please do so. They haven’t responded to me and I’ve tried twice, once on WS and once to their media person.

I don’t know if Jefferson Parish has that new wetvac system, nor do I know if they have kept her clothing, etc.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff has her dress, heels, purse and panty hose (in July in the coastal South?)

snipped

The pantyhose don't surprise me. I was just getting started in business in 1979 and learning that to be respectable, a professional woman had to suffer with pantyhose no matter what the weather. Bare legs were proper only at the beach or while doing athletics. I always envied my from-Georgia co-worker's ability to wear not just hose but a girdle and still look fresh as a daisy all summer...

@Beekarina
I have her morgue shot and she doesn’t look much like any of the young women, and only a passing resemblance to the black/white sketch. I can contact the person who sent me her file to see if any swabs are still around but it’s doubtful, and it was the 70s. The Jefferson Parish coroner’s office has the contents of her purse and there were no glasses. A necklace, makeup, small amount of money and a few personal items. Jefferson Parish Sheriff has her dress, heels, purse and panty hose (in July in the coastal South?)

If any of y’all can do better with Othram please do so. They haven’t responded to me and I’ve tried twice, once on WS and once to their media person.

I don’t know if Jefferson Parish has that new wetvac system, nor do I know if they have kept her clothing, etc.
If you have a post-mortem photograph of Jane Doe no doubt @CarlK90245 could help with a reconstruction. About Othram, have you raised the idea with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office that Othram could help in the case?

If you have a post-mortem photograph of Jane Doe no doubt @CarlK90245 could help with a reconstruction. About Othram, have you raised the idea with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office that Othram could help in the case?
No I don’t deal with the Sheriff’s office (old feud.) as a private citizen in a state with ‘closed records’ I’m not sure of the legalities here. And I don’t understand how Doe doesn’t have her morgue shot. She was lovely but looked sooo terrified-37 stab wounds and a sexual assault that was the secondary cause of death, of which I cannot speak.

<snip>
I lived in Old Metairie a very long time ago for a short period. There's even a street named after my family. ONLY a local would know where Nassau Drive is. Only a Jefferson parish or border between Orleans and Jefferson would know.
I agree, only a local would likely know the area. The address given on Nassau Dr. where she was found is what you might expect for a neighborhood adjacent to a golf course, ie, pretty upscale. Off topic, but I also lived there a very long time ago for a short period. I went to kindergarten a few blocks away from Nassau Dr.

Was it ever disclosed which hotel she had been seen at?

@Curious
No and sheriff's note are impossible to read, too many copies over time and the scrawl of a chicken on mescaline. I seem to remember someone saying it was in the Marigny, but I believe it was in a no-tell back of town. She was definitely down on her luck.

So,

I am sure this is completely unrelated, but it was interesting to me.

In 1983, a woman in Indiana was advertising herself as a prostitute at truck stops using business cards: "She liked to frequent truck stops and would use CB (citizens band) radio to contact drivers. She handed out business cards giving her occupation as "public relations."

That is interesting, lonewanderer. It could be related, if she traveled with a truck driver, and/or it was part of a larger scheme. Perhaps this young woman was linked somehow/lured in, and one of her early attempts soured or she decided she didn't want to do it, and she upset the "leader"?

Also, while it sounds like the morgue photo is horrible, if there is a way to have something other than the existing sketch online, I hope it is made available. If she finds her way to NAMUS, they seem to handle it well most of the time. Maybe not possible, given her injuries, but those black and white sketches feel as though they could be anyone, you know?

the morgue photo was only of her face and hair, which appears auburn. I try not to look at it much. To me IMHO she appeared terrified. Only the cheek cut is in view. She was dressed as if she had gone to church or a nice brunch. No drugs or alcohol in her system.

the morgue photo was only of her face and hair, which appears auburn. I try not to look at it much. To me IMHO she appeared terrified. Only the cheek cut is in view. She was dressed as if she had gone to church or a nice brunch. No drugs or alcohol in her system.

Understandable. Some of the images I have looked at while here I've had a really hard time with, even when they were not deceased--i.e. a few of the women photographed by Rodney Alcala. Picking up on fear is hard. Thank you for doing what you have done to help her.

Knowing her hair may have been auburn vs straight brown is useful information.

@Beekarina

Do the records still exist? We have another thread with a crime in Louisiana, a poster contacted the detective to learn that the records storage facility was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. Paper files, evidence, everything.

from Post #41

Finally talked to the nopd. Bad news is an understatement. More like take you to your knees heartbreaking news would be more accurate. Everything every complete piece of evidence that could be used to get a conviction was destroyed in Katrina.

Could this 1979 evidence have been in the same facility?

jmho ymmv lrr

Understandable. Some of the images I have looked at while here I've had a really hard time with, even when they were not deceased--i.e. a few of the women photographed by Rodney Alcala. Picking up on fear is hard. Thank you for doing what you have done to help her.

Knowing her hair may have been auburn vs straight brown is useful information.
It was wavy and definitely not straight. Such a lovely young woman, such a horrible death, a murder of extreme rage. I see that IMHO, the murderer knew her.

Do the records still exist? We have another thread with a crime in Louisiana, a poster contacted the detective to learn that the records storage facility was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. Paper files, evidence, everything.

from Post #41

Finally talked to the nopd. Bad news is an understatement. More like take you to your knees heartbreaking news would be more accurate. Everything every complete piece of evidence that could be used to get a conviction was destroyed in Katrina.

Could this 1979 evidence have been in the same facility?

jmho ymmv lrr

No the records were sent to me by the Jefferson Parish coroner’s office, located on the West Bank. So are the Plaquemines records but in a different facility, in a different parish. Why one was intact and the other not, I have a guess, size and number of LE working then.

It was wavy and definitely not straight. Such a lovely young woman, such a horrible death, a murder of extreme rage. I see that IMHO, the murderer knew her.

Hmm...a theory, obviously, but makes me wonder if possibly someone was trying to force her into sex work, and it wasn't going as planned?

I tend to agree with you, the injuries you're describing to her face sound like rage, and personal anger fits. Of course, a random sicko could do that too, but on the average, yeah. Poor girl.

Since she was nicely dressed and appeared to be taken care of, I assume someone was providing for her or she was working/supporting herself somehow. To me, the business cards and knocking on hotel doors suggest sex trafficking.
The brutality of the numerous stab wounds make me think it was personal.
Wonder if she was well dressed because she was meeting someone or dressed in that attire while soliciting....to look more upscale referencing the interpersonal relations??

I think we're looking for someone missing shortly before this happened based on Tony's observations. Maybe another young woman who was purged from the system when she turned 18, and/or who was only known as missing in her local area? (If the theory she was not local is correct._

She was young. She was in good health, and seemed cared for. I agree this sounds like someone was really angry with her. I don't think she had been "out there" long.

Do we know if she had defensive wounds? Or has that not been released? Edited: I guess "put up a fight" answers that. Pass the coffee, it has been a long day!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody