LA - Parents Sleep As Pup Chews Off Baby's Toes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
narlacat said:
I'm not high and mighty!...I just questioned the parents choice of dog...because whichever way you look at it pit bulls are a volatile breed...
and thats YOUR opinion

What's there to bicker about? The breed of dog? Some people are nervous about pitbulls, that doesn't make them idiots. Some people think pitbulls are awesome, that doesn't make you and idiot either.To me that doesn't matter in this case. What does matter is the pup was obvioulsy hungry and was looking for food and found it and now a little girl is maimed for life. An animal expert, a vet satted that it took about an hour for this to occur. They did not hear this child's pain filled cries and they should have. Their story changed a few times. Suspicious.

eve said:
Ok, I'm ducking now. :truce:

Eve
No need to duck. I'm wondering if they can't tell if it was a ferret or the pit bull, maybe NEITHER of those things hurt the baby. Maybe something more sinister happened, and the parents wanted to blame the dog. Pit Bull opposing people want to blame the dog, Pit Bull advocates want to blame the ferret. What if it were something else?

IMO this could have happened with any breed puppy, puppies chew and if the baby was moving it's feet the puppy would have been even more prone to go over and investigate.

It's tragic and never should have happened and the parents judgement must be questioned on many levels. A month old baby needs round the clock attention, who decides to add a 6 week old puppy to the mix? Another baby who also needs round the clock attention plus added financial strain with puppy shots etc! What kind of breeder sells a 6 week old puppy? Certainly not a reputable one IMO. The 1 good thing I can see here is that the parents did take the baby for medical attention, some could have tried to just treat it on their own to cover up their negligence.

VB

Vegas Bride said:
IMO this could have happened with any breed puppy, puppies chew and if the baby was moving it's feet the puppy would have been even more prone to go over and investigate.

It's tragic and never should have happened and the parents judgement must be questioned on many levels. A month old baby needs round the clock attention, who decides to add a 6 week old puppy to the mix? Another baby who also needs round the clock attention plus added financial strain with puppy shots etc! What kind of breeder sells a 6 week old puppy? Certainly not a reputable one IMO. The 1 good thing I can see here is that the parents did take the baby for medical attention, some could have tried to just treat it on their own to cover up their negligence.

VB

Excellent post!

No one knows what shape the baby was in when the pup chewed on the toes. Maybe the baby had not had a bath in a long time. Maybe milk had dripped on the baby's toes and that's what drew the dog to the toes. Maybe the diaper was full of ....... and the baby got some on it's foot and the dog does what dogs usually do when they smell .....

Pit bulls are often the type of dog that shady druggy people get in order to protect their property from nosy people. The parents probably were checked out on Meth and when they finally woke up they could have cleaned the baby and the place up waaaay before they took the baby to the hospital.

A ferret would not chew off the babies toes.

Just would not happen. Although ferrets can bite if not trained... They would "play bite" at the very absolute worst they might draw blood from their little teeth. A ferret would not chew off a babies toes.
PERIOD.

Amraann said:

Just would not happen. Although ferrets can bite if not trained... They would "play bite" at the very absolute worst they might draw blood from their little teeth. A ferret would not chew off a babies toes.
PERIOD.
I dont know about toes being chewed off but ferrets bite me all the time when they are young. At my job i raise ferrets, kind of, and their bite hurts bad. they have drew blood several times. and also when they are young they chew all the time. and they also latch on and once the only way to get it off was to scruff him. i could see it being either. i do feel so bad for this little girl but i hope they dont put the pup down. i will take him/her any day!! of course we will may never know what happened.

Amraann said:

PERIOD.
Well, I don't know that there is any veterinarian or animal expert who would say that with 100% certainty.

Before this story broke, I would've said that a little 6 week old puppy, of ANY breed, would never chew off a babies toes, but it's certainly a possibility. And the ferret is just as much a possibility, also. Ferrets are very "chewy" animals, in the way that hamsters are "chewy". Don't get me wrong, I love ferrets & think they are cute as hell, and I'm not against owning one.

But, in all actuality, I think it's entirely possible that there's not just two scenarios of what happened...the puppy and the ferret. I think there could be another scenario that would explain this more. Maybe the house had rats? Maybe the parents thought that if they admitted there was rats that they would be afraid of losing custody? Maybe, since they were sleeping on the floor on a matress with the baby in a carrier next to them, maybe there was a fan that was accidentally knocked over on the babys feet during the night and maybe the blades mangled her toes up. I don't know. I just don't know.

julianne said:
Well, I don't know that there is any veterinarian or animal expert who would say that with 100% certainty.

Before this story broke, I would've said that a little 6 week old puppy, of ANY breed, would never chew off a babies toes, but it's certainly a possibility. And the ferret is just as much a possibility, also. Ferrets are very "chewy" animals, in the way that hamsters are "chewy". Don't get me wrong, I love ferrets & think they are cute as hell, and I'm not against owning one.

But, in all actuality, I think it's entirely possible that there's not just two scenarios of what happened...the puppy and the ferret. I think there could be another scenario that would explain this more. Maybe the house had rats? Maybe the parents thought that if they admitted there was rats that they would be afraid of losing custody? Maybe, since they were sleeping on the floor on a matress with the baby in a carrier next to them, maybe there was a fan that was accidentally knocked over on the babys feet during the night and maybe the blades mangled her toes up. I don't know. I just don't know.
Good thinking. I never thought of rats. I have pet rats but wild rats are much different. Any rat can chew threw concrete. And the fan could work too. Although wouldnt you think they would be able to tell by marks on they baby what animal chew on them(if any of all)???? All teeth in question are different.

julianne said:

Exactly ...
A 6 week old puppy or a ferret???
not buying it,
Little razor sharp teeth .... even so why???
I mean these little creatures may as I said draw blood ..... but to remove toes????????
NO

Thanks 2sisters.

So it was the ferret all along, not the puppy.

That's why I got rid of my pet rat when I had a baby, she was not to be trusted, chewed everything...

That actually raises some questions in my mind...

How did they know it was the ferret? If they woke up and saw the ferret chewing on the baby, why would they say it was the puppy? And, if they didn't see it, how do they know now that it wasn't the puppy.

These is just such a tiny point, and I don't really care which animal did it, because it was awful either way. So, it just doesn't matter, but I'm curious now.

hipmamajen said:

How did they know it was the ferret? If they woke up and saw the ferret chewing on the baby, why would they say it was the puppy? And, if they didn't see it, how do they know now that it wasn't the puppy.

These is just such a tiny point, and I don't really care which animal did it, because it was awful either way. So, it just doesn't matter, but I'm curious now.
Maybe from the size of the bite marks compared to the animal's teeth? That's my guess.

narlacat said:
Thanks 2sisters.

So it was the ferret all along, not the puppy.

That's why I got rid of my pet rat when I had a baby, she was not to be trusted, chewed everything...
Weired I just got a pet rat a couple months ago and she has never chewed anything. I have been amazed. I am so glad it was the ferret and not the puppy. Only because a have a huge amount of love for these dogs. They really are great. You guys really dont know how many times I would be out with my girl and someone would be loving on her and say oh she is so cute what kind is she. As soon as I said pit bull they would always back away and act scared. Now please tell me how a dog changes in 2 seconds.

hipmamajen said:

Can anyone please tell me why they cant tell which pet by teeth marks?????? You would figure they would be able to, right

Wouldn't it have taken the ferrtett longet to eat the toes off? So that just tells me the cries were ignored longer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back