LA - Parents Sleep As Pup Chews Off Baby's Toes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
narlacat said:
Thanks 2sisters.

So it was the ferret all along, not the puppy.

That's why I got rid of my pet rat when I had a baby, she was not to be trusted, chewed everything...
Your welcome. It is only smart to get rid of a pet like that if they can't be trusted, it was probably hard for you to do that but you just have to do it.

ok so now we really need to ask where were the parents???

I could have believed the dog did this in a few minutes ..... (any breed)
But the ferret????????
There is something going on here.... not being said...

Maybe tried to pin the blame on the puppy to protect the ferret?

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the ferret belonged to the guy and the dog belonged to the girl. I think it's a real shame that these "parents" are blaming each other (or each other's pets) when their child just underwent something so traumatic. I have 4 ferrets myself and yes, they can bite. Actually chewing off toes though, don't think so. My ferrets are more prone to "attacking" inanimate objects, like shoes or rubber tires, not actual skin.

Melisinde said:
Reading between the lines, it sounds like the ferret belonged to the guy and the dog belonged to the girl. I think it's a real shame that these "parents" are blaming each other (or each other's pets) when their child just underwent something so traumatic. I have 4 ferrets myself and yes, they can bite. Actually chewing off toes though, don't think so. My ferrets are more prone to "attacking" inanimate objects, like shoes or rubber tires, not actual skin.
Same note with my ferret - but if it's wiggling, it will play rather aggressively. It wouldn't do it out of the want to eat - lord knows ferrets are picky eaters, but if it was enjoyment... maybe.

Amraann said:
ok so now we really need to ask where were the parents???

I could have believed the dog did this in a few minutes ..... (any breed)
But the ferret????????
There is something going on here.... not being said...
Sounds like maybe the parents were passed out in a drug stupor. I can't imagine sleeping through YOUR crying baby left in an infant seat.

My husband and I have a 10 month old and we would most definately hear our baby crying and did when he was one month old also. It's easy to know when your infant is crying in pain too. There's no way they could have, in their right minds, slept through an infant crying in pain.

2sisters said:
Your welcome. It is only smart to get rid of a pet like that if they can't be trusted, it was probably hard for you to do that but you just have to do it.
It was hard to do 2sisters, I loved that little rat but I loved my baby more (lol) (as you do)
She was more than capable of chewing little toes off I'd say.

I seem to remember my grandad would turn a bunch of ferrets loose in his warehouse, to kill the rats. Not a pet I would want around a vulnerable sleeping infant. I once had a gerbil that chewed so incessantly on the metal bars of its cage that I couldn't even sleep.

The real fault here is on the parents no matter which animal did it. Animals are animals. They have instincts and can be unpredictable (not that humans can't). These people should have been getting acclimated to a new baby, not starting a menegerie, imo. My parents had a German Shepherd when I was born and when I began walking it knocked me down all the time. They got rid of it immediately.

Priorities.

Eve

My children had every pet imaginable it seems. From dogs, cats, hamsters, turtles, rabbits, hermit crabs,horses, fish and my son had a ferret named "Scrat". This pet was the only one that was totally aggressive. It would attack and sink its big teeth right in without warning no matter how much love and attention we gave him.

I am the biggest animal lover ever but this pet I did not trust and began to dislike which is very odd for me. We sold him back to the pet store.

They also can do tremendous damage to furniture and carpeting etc with their incessant chewing.

Ocean

Pandora said:
The animals will be offered for adoption rather than be euthanized, Bossier Parish District Attorney Schuyler Marvin told the news station.

all i can say is amen....there is a higher power out there....i know here the poor pup would be put to sleep....i wonder can i adopt from indiana

Where was the two-yr old brother when this happened? Maybe he did it. (I'm not trying to be funny-sometimes toddlers don't understand what they are doing.)

Please don't jump on me for this comment.

Taximom said:
Where was the two-yr old brother when this happened? Maybe he did it. (I'm not trying to be funny-sometimes toddlers don't understand what they are doing.)

I hope not b/c that would mean that boy has some serious issues.

Taximom said:

Maybe he was playing with the ferret and encouraged it to get the baby?????

i am with taxi mom please dont jump on me just thinking outloud

I am going to recant a little bit...

Maybe a ferret could chew off the toes BUT it would take a very LONG time and be a very untrained ferret.
Like all pets ferrets must be trained.
If they are .... They do not bite.

eta Oceanblueeyes???
I think your confusing what a ferret does naturally as aggression.
As babies they bite and play with each other ... its how they learn.
They can be taught not to and to do so is not aggression but them playing.
Ferrets take a lot of training and time.... I would not recommend one for any young child.

Amraann said:
I am going to recant a little bit...

Maybe a ferret could chew off the toes BUT it would take a very LONG time and be a very untrained ferret.
Like all pets ferrets must be trained.
If they are .... They do not bite.

eta Oceanblueeyes???
I think your confusing what a ferret does naturally as aggression.
As babies they bite and play with each other ... its how they learn.
They can be taught not to and to do so is not aggression but them playing.
Ferrets take a lot of training and time.... I would not recommend one for any young child.
what you say is very true but when they think you are a ferret and have tough skin they will treat you like a ferret. thinking of how these people were raising their daughter i bet they were not traing the pets anyhow

Agreed!!!

These people were not exactly the paragon of parenting......

I dont see either the puppy or the ferret causing this in short time.
I really just find it hard to believe either pet did it.
Not the Two YO either....
I really believe something happend to this baby not being said.
Something more sinister then a pet.
WHy else are the teeth marks not being traced??

i have been talking about teeth marks soon from the start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back