LA - Two killed, 9 injured in Lafayette movie theater shooting, 23 July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for this video. These people seem like very kind folks who were/are baffled by what they saw as a drastic change in someone they knew.

It's hard to understand how he could be so angry with these people to damage the house - as well as destroy the good atmosphere - and make trouble for them. He had unreasonable rage - it really can't be understood. How to deal with people like that?!? I don't know.
Reading the list of damages to the house left my jaw hanging open. More disturbing than the extensive destructive acts was the calculated measures to create a boobytrap. It's a miracle the house didn't explode when the door was opened. His actions were nothing short of pathological, with a clear intent to commit murder. Yet, unless I missed something, no measures were taken to press criminal charges. It probably wouldn't have mattered because by then he'd booked. But just maybe, it would have made a difference. In case after case, it's those missed steps along the way that allow for a tragic conclusion. Not casting blame on anyone. Simply making the point. We'd be remiss to walk away and leave behind the lessons.

Reading the list of damages to the house left my jaw hanging open. More disturbing than the extensive destructive acts was the calculated measures to create a boobytrap. It's a miracle the house didn't explode when the door was opened. His actions were nothing short of pathological, with a clear intent to commit murder. Yet, unless I missed something, no measures were taken to press criminal charges. It probably wouldn't have mattered because by then he'd booked. But just maybe, it would have made a difference. In case after case, it's those missed steps along the way that allow for a tragic conclusion. Not casting blame on anyone. Simply making the point. We'd be remiss to walk away and leave behind the lessons.

Good point! At least book him on vandalism, and work on stiffer charges as soon as possible. Concrete down the drains? I never have heard of such a thing -- just plain evil doings. And due to the amount of it, I'd have to say hate-filled as well. It might be one thing to leave water running or something, but to methodically disable & destroy as much as possible (IMO), that's just beyond the pale. Imagine what it will cost to undo and repair and replace. And not in a day or two, either. <shiver> Creepy, threatening, and dangerous.

Lafayette Google Realtime

Ali Viator Martin, Jena Legnon Meaux -- two Jeanerette Senior High teachers -- hailed as heroes in fatal Lafayette theater shooting
MARSHA SILLS, THE ADVOCATE
, July 25 '15

[...]

one of the teachers threw herself on top of her friend to protect her from gunfire, and the other managed to pull the fire alarm to alert the building of the danger.

&#8220;My understanding is that Ali was the one who was able to pull the fire alarm,&#8221;

[...]

&#8220;Who could imagine on a Thursday evening sitting there watching a movie in Lafayette, Louisiana, and have something like this happen,&#8221; he said. &#8220;You&#8217;re not in that mode of thinking, but evidently, they both reacted very well and very quickly.&#8221;

[...]

&#8220;You have two wonderful people who are going to be scarred for life &#8212; more than just the gunshot wounds.&#8221;

Hero Teachers of Lafayette - Edited.jpg

~

"Lafayette Strong" Posters Sell Out; More To Be Printed Monday (KATC Acadiana)

Why I call Lafayette home
Ryan Baniewicz, The Advertiser / ESPN 1420

635734281928951013-Jillian.jpg

"Lafayette artist, musician and business woman Jillian Johnson was killed Thursday in the Grand 16 Theatre shooting.
"Photo: Lucius A. Fontenot"

~

635733520420620939-TDA20150724GrandSHooting035.JPG

"Photo: Paul Kieu, The Advertiser"

Lafayette Google Realtime

Ali Viator Martin, Jena Legnon Meaux -- two Jeanerette Senior High teachers -- hailed as heroes in fatal Lafayette theater shooting
MARSHA SILLS, THE ADVOCATE
, July 25 '15

[...]

one of the teachers threw herself on top of her friend to protect her from gunfire, and the other managed to pull the fire alarm to alert the building of the danger.

&#8220;My understanding is that Ali was the one who was able to pull the fire alarm,&#8221;

[...]

&#8220;Who could imagine on a Thursday evening sitting there watching a movie in Lafayette, Louisiana, and have something like this happen,&#8221; he said. &#8220;You&#8217;re not in that mode of thinking, but evidently, they both reacted very well and very quickly.&#8221;

[...]

&#8220;You have two wonderful people who are going to be scarred for life &#8212; more than just the gunshot wounds.&#8221;

View attachment 78738

Teachers are trained to handle emergencies. And they do over and over again,

Tipsters Help Police Seeking Theater Shooter's Motive
via NYT

Associated Press: Melinda Deslatte and Michael Kunzelman in Lafayette; Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia; Jay Reeves in Birmingham, Alabama; Ray Henry in Carrollton, Georgia; Kim Chandler in Phenix City, Alabama; Kate Brumback and Kathleen Foody in Atlanta; and Kevin McGill in New Orleans contributed to this report.
2:10 P.M. E.D.T.

"Police on Saturday thanked the many people providing tips about John Russell Houser as they work to reconstruct his movements..."

Governor Jindal has given orders for police to protect the funeral procession from protesters. We have lots of chatter on fb calling for citizens to form a wall to protect the procession too. I doubt that Westboro will show up... We did have a group of individuals this morning near the theatre with signs. Come to find out it was a group of Catholics praying.
I walked past the Red Arrow Store (Jillian's) a little while ago. It was amazing to see the people, young and old dropping off notes, flowers, etc. they even have a tabor set up for people to make prayer flags for Mayci and Jillian.
Jillian was an artist, musician (The Figs) and a business owner. She had a love of all things, Cajun and Louisiana. She was an awesome spokesperson for us.

Governor Jindal has given orders for police to protect the funeral procession from protesters. We have lots of chatter on fb calling for citizens to form a wall to protect the procession too. I doubt that Westboro will show up... We did have a group of individuals this morning near the theatre with signs. Come to find out it was a group of Catholics praying.
I walked past the Red Arrow Store (Jillian's) a little while ago. It was amazing to see the people, young and old dropping off notes, flowers, etc. they even have a tabor set up for people to make prayer flags for Mayci and Jillian.
Jillian was an artist, musician (The Figs) and a business owner. She had a love of all things, Cajun and Louisiana. She was an awesome spokesperson for us.

Please send up a prayer from me next time you pass there, Teche, and thank you for being our eyes there this day.

Louisiana Theater Shooting Victim Leaves Hospital
by Elizabeth Chuck, NBCNEWS
, July 25 15, 4:19 pm et

This is Ali's picture of her sister, whom she called her "rock"

Ali's picture of Mayci.jpg

"Two patients were released later Thursday night. A third patient was released Saturday morning, the hospital said in a statement."

Funeral service for Mayci Breaux held Monday KATC

Multiple vigils to be held this weekend KATC

Mayci Breaux .png

"The funeral service will follow at the Church of the Assumption in Franklin with an 11:00 a.m. Mass of Christian burial. "

~

"Take a virtual view into the events of the Lafayette, Louisiana, movie theater shooting with"

CNN's Tom Foreman and Anderson Cooper

[video=youtube;XRqWysgR_rg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRqWysgR_rg[/video]

~

The Advertiser report here about many aspects beside these below:

Gunman once hung swatstika banner outside bar he owned
Seth Dickerson and Claire Taylor,
3:16 p.m. CDT July 25, 2015

Mourners gather at vigil to honor shooting victims
Zach Beaird,
10:52 p.m. CDT July 24, 2015

Analysis: Theater shooting won&#8217;t change a thing
Adam Duvernay
, 2:38 p.m. CDT July 25, 2015

Please send up a prayer from me next time you pass there, Teche, and thank you for being our eyes there this day.

Thanks, FindHG! We're seeing wonderful outpouring of love and help.
I appreciate how LE has shared info without compromising the investigation. LE did the same in the Mickey Shunick investigation.

Brother of Lafayette shooter says rampage was &#8216;no surprise&#8217;
By Joe Kovac Jr., Washington Post,
July 25, 9:05 pm

"Rem Houser said the crime &#8220;is no surprise. &#8230; I mean, it&#8217;s a surprise, but, you know it&#8217;s a dark side of somebody. It&#8217;s a surprise, but it&#8217;s not a surprise. We never thought he would hurt anybody. &#8230; I thought maybe [he&#8217;d[ do something stupid &#8211; suicide maybe &#8211; but not doing anything violent to somebody else. Murdering two people, shooting other innocent people. We&#8217;re so upset.&#8221;

~

Louisiana Theater Shooter... Brother Says Family is in 'Shock'
by Elisha Fieldstadt, NBCNEWS, July 25 '15, 9:17 pm et

video with his brother grasping for answers

~

Old friend recalls kicking crazed Lafayette shooter ... out of home: 'It could've been me'
By Rich Schapiro, Larrry McShane New York Daily News,

Saturday, July 25, 2015, 9:02 pm

The 59-year-old was thrown out of his friend&#8217;s place following six increasingly tense months and a February showdown.

[...]
&#8220;He was angry. He was upset. He was always talking about the government.&#8221;

[... he]

grew more deranged and domineering during his time with his friend.

[...]

~

Three Lafayette theater shooting victims stable at hospital; one upgraded from critical condition
By Marsha Sills, The Advocate
, July 25 15

One of the three victims received gunshot wounds to the torso while the other two received wounds to their legs, Kordisch said.

[...]

The patients ages ranged from their 30s to 80s, he added.

[...]

http://klfy.com/2015/07/24/hospital-two-shooting-victims-released-three-others-stable/

Callecod said one Lafayette General staff member happened to be at the theater with his wife when the shooting happened. The couple brought one of the victims to the hospital personally, he said.

KATC just announced via fb that the station will not provide coverage of the Westboro Baptist "church" members if they come to protest. They will only report if/when anything newsworthy occurs. KATC did state that 15,000 citizens have signed up to counter protest. #LafayetteStrong.

"Dear Terror

You showed your evil face to us last night when you senselessly acted out. You, terror, flexed your muscles in an attempt to intimidate us..."

https://medium.com/keep-learning-keep-growing/dear-terror-5eb75d5d1c83

[video=youtube;ObKQ_pBSzzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKQ_pBSzzY[/video]

Lafayette residents gather at vigil
NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Lafayette community looks inward to begin healing after theater shooting
By Chelsea Brasted, The Times-Picayune
July 25 15, 7:00 pm

Lafayette police evaluating evidence from theater shooting, say shooter has no ties, connections to LafayetteBY ANDREA GALLO, THE ADVOCATE, July 25, 2015

FTR
This AP story was originally linked upthread but the link changed to another story, so this is the story again, through Time
Tipsters Help Police Search for Movie Theater Shooter&#8217;s Motive
Rebecca Santana, July 25, 2015

&#8220;Our intelligence section is still analyzing a lot of that,&#8221; Lafayette Police Col. Paul Mouton said, adding that many people &#8220;feel they have had some sort of contact or run-in with this individual.&#8221;

[... his]

mother then called to say her son had &#8220;threatened to commit suicide in front of the retirement community where he believes her to be living if she didn&#8217;t give him money,&#8221; the divorce papers allege.

[his ex-wife] said she urged his mother not to pay, and to send him instead to a psychiatric facility.

Instead, police said, [his] mother sent him $5,000.

We Can't Let Evil Win': Lafayette Mourns Those Killed in Theater Shooting
by Tracy Jarrett & Craig Stanley, NBCNEWS,
July 26 '15, 1:30 am et

[...]

"Overcoming adversity is in our blood. It's handed down from generation to generation and taught along with love, compassion, and bonding together," Lauren Awverset, of Lafayette, told NBC News at a community vigil at Parc Sans Souci.

[...]

&#8216;She had a lot of potential... I knew she would do well&#8217;
by Jordan Arceneaux, The Daily World
, 12:35 pm, cdt, July 25 15

People who never met Mayci Breaux, 21, will list her as one of two women who died in the Lafayette theater shooting.

For those who knew her, memories of her short life will remain for the rest of theirs.

[...]

&#8220;Our campus is in shock and mourning over the loss of one of our own, Mayci Breaux,&#8221; the LSU-Eunice Facebook page read on Friday.

[...]

~

Theater gunman built reputation as an angry provocateur
The Associated Press via The Dispatch
, July 25, 2015 11:01:14 PM

"For decades, [he] lived and worked in the same area where he owned that home, in Phenix City and the surrounding cities. Since the early '90s, he had built a reputation as an oddball. It was then that he regularly appeared on a local television show, appearing opposite a Democrat as a radical Republican railing against women in the workplace and calling for violence against abortion providers."
[...]

It was not the last time he'd invoke that type of imagery, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Heidi Beirich, director of the SPLC's Intelligence Project, said he'd been on the group's radar since 2005.

[...]

He also posted on a forum dedicated to the New York chapter of Golden Dawn, Greece's far-right neo-Nazi political party.

[...]

But Houser's mother told Kellie Houser that she had not seen her son in years, and that security at her retirement home had forbidden her son from entering or approaching her.

[...]

BBM for reference

~

In his final days, La. shooter appeared fitful
By William Wan and Michael A. Fletcher, Washington Post,
July 25, 9:01 pm

His

"final days were restless and erratic. He roamed widely here. He snapped at some people, broke down in tears in front of others, begging for their prayers. But on many days, he seemed perfectly composed, well-spoken even."

it continues with great information on some of his uneven timeline in Lafayette.

Jul 25 2015, 9:17 pm ET

Brother of Louisiana Theater Shooter: 'We Saw No Sign of This'

by Elisha Fieldstadt

The brother of the man who opened fire at a Louisiana movie theater this week, killing two and injuring nine before taking his own life, said Saturday that the family saw signs of mental illness but did not know he was capable of such violence.

"We're in shock just like everybody else," Rem Houser, the older brother of gunman John Houser, told NBC News from outside his Hamilton, Georgia, home. "The focus of our family has just been thinking about the mental illness issue. Did we miss something was there something we didn't see?"

"We say no. We saw no sign of this," Houser said, admitting that he rarely talked to or saw his brother over the last 20 years...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/la...ohn-housers-brother-says-family-shock-n398461

:waitasec: One headline suggests the family wasn't surprised by Houser's actions while another says they saw no signs of this happening. :confused:

:waitasec: One headline suggests the family wasn't surprised by Houser's actions while another says they saw no signs of this happening. :confused:

This is what appears on the site's front page now, in terms of headlines, which usually are various attempt for the biggest draw, most sensational thing that may be highlighted, and you'll often find the information contradictory to the headline, and in those cases good headline writers then present it as a question. Reporters and headline writers are two different species of intent in the media, one means to inform at best, while the other titillates interest, from what I've observed.

Screenshot 2015-07-26 at 1.53.17 PM.png

Brother of Lafayette shooter says rampage was &#8216;no surprise&#8217;

In his final days, La. shooter appeared fitful

updated:

Jindal: Lafayette shooter &#8216;never should have been able to buy a gun&#8217;
By Wesley Lowery, Wash. Post , July 26 at 2:56 PM

Debate over security at movie theaters heats up after Lafayette tragedy
Mark Guarino, specia to The Advocate,
July 25 15

&#8220;If they don&#8217;t put those protocols in movie theaters, they&#8217;re going to keep getting hit,&#8221; he said.

Lafayette opens 'family information center' for community to receive free counseling after theater shooting
By Marsh Sills, The Advocate, July 26 15

Photos: Citizens of Lafayette rally together after tragic theater shooting on Thursday
by Brad Bowie, The Advocate

Details Emerge About Louisiana Movie Theater Gunman
ABC News

[video=youtube;RKiwl4vhiBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=RKiwl4vhiBs[/video]

~

We will recover; give us time
The Daily Advertiser
11:24 am, cdt, July 26 '15

Everything you need to know about the Lafayette theater shooting
12:59 p.m. CDT July 26, 2015

Funeral arrangements announced for Jillian Johnson
3:43 p.m. CDT July 26, 2015

"Jillian was a beacon of integrity, creativity, diligence, and love to all who knew her," the post reads. "She had a wicked sense of humor mixed with a warm, graceful, and regal presence. She was loved by all, and she will not soon be forgotten."

Post by RedArrowWorkshop.

Ooohh, that article made my skin crawl and made me <shiver>. Can you imagine? The stuff nightmares are made of. And I don't think a call to police by her would have made one ounce of difference. He didn't tell them that he planned to go to a theater and open fire on people who just happened to be there. And if she had called & told them about the conversation, what could they have done? Apparently, he didn't threaten her or her friend; he didn't follow them or park in front of one of their houses, etc. And based on what she would have told LE, it would prolly have been illegal for them to put him under a microscope based on their conversation with him.

But to look back to that conversation and know that you had been within 2 feet of him would certainly be scary and make you count your lucky stars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconman
Back