Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.25.17 - Day 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that both DM and MS surrounded themselves with people who were so much younger than they were. They actively sought them out. I assume that this was a way for these 2 oddballs to feel important, popular and tough. Even stranger is that they were able to attract people as morally bankrupt as they are regardless of socioeconomic background and that they found one another. SL couldn't have been more of a polar opposite of DM and MS in every way possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess they did the same with Tim. :anguish:

But they left some bone and tooth fragments in the incinerator by accident. sloppy.... look where it got them! I hope the board/home/barn has some dna from LB on it, to solidify that Laura was in DM's home and barn/incinerator.

You would think that committing a murder would be a secret you would take to your grave, never mind bragging about it and documenting it.

These two characters are ‘in Dutch.’

But they left some bone and tooth fragments in the incinerator by accident. sloppy.... look where it got them! I hope the board/home/barn has some dna from LB on it, to solidify that Laura was in DM's home and barn/incinerator.

I still think that the ashes may have dumped in that swamp on the farm property. Just MOO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that both DM and MS surrounded themselves with people who were so much younger than they were. They actively sought them out.

Yup, drug dealers need customers. Easier to sell to people younger than you than your same-age peers.

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
Video of #Smich rap was still not made an exhibit, I think. Court will do that when we hear about how video was seized by police. #Babcock

Here are lyrics to #Smich song. Apologies for language. "The *advertiser censored* started off all skin and bone, now the *advertiser censored* lay on some ashy stone..."

"...last time I saw her's outside the home and if you go swimming you can find her phone." #Smich does breast stroke in video for that part

Cross is going to be interesting with this witness!
Unlike his last trial, DM does not seem to be trying to point the finger at his buddy MS. He has been trying to point to any evidence that might show LB was not murdered or at least that her murder was not in any way connected to him. This witness is the avenue to bring this rap video into evidence and is clearly going to create a new hurdle for DM and his defence team.....oh wait - it's just his problem.
JMO

What is wrong with Smich. At about 25 years old, he shared this grave criminal act - with a 16 year old. What could possibly go wrong?

This 20 minute recess has become 35 minutes. Legal arguments perhaps?

[READER]
How are laura's parents holding up? Is Laura's mom set to testify or is she in the courtroom?

They are stoic. Her mom has been here for everything, I don't think she will be testifying.

[READER]
Have they said when the shoplifting arrest happened?

It was after the garage scene but that is all I caught

Jury back for "mid trial" caution. Justice Code instructing about hearsay rule. #Babcock

Shannon Martin
@ShannonMartinTV
Jury is back with us. Desi Liberatore, Mark Smich's friend, 21, is about to be cross examined.

What is wrong with Smich. At about 25 years old, he shared this grave criminal act - with a 16 year old. What could possibly go wrong?

I think from what we already know, we can assume that critical thinking is not MS' strong suit. :thinking:

If Libertore is told something outside of court it's hearsay. One exception is a statement by the accused as tendered by the crown.

The crown can't compel #Smich to testify because he is one of the accused. So Liberatore can testify about what Smich told him. #Babcock

Caveat - the hearsay statement can only be used against the accused making the statement = #Smich. Jury can't use evidence against #Millard

Millard will now cross examine Liberatore. "You told us you have drug problems, right? Are you using today?" No. "Have you overdosed?" yes.

Liberatore has overdosed more than once. And "i've seen you more than once," he tells Millard. Maybe 10x. "In passing at Mr #Smich's house?"

Yes, #Millard establishes that he and Liberatore never socialized. #Millard was not in the garage when the #Smich rap video was played.

Dungey asks if Liberatore has overdosed a half dozen times? No, maybe six, he says. Most recently a few months ago. #Babcock

Liberatore isn't sure when he last used opioids. Is it because of his drug addiction? "Maybe." He doesn't use anything but opioids.

He has used marijuana in the past "a bunch of times." Doesn't remember the last time. "It's been a while."

"It started with the pharmaceutical ones," Liberatore says of opioid addiction. A friend had a parent with a prescription. Also does heroin

Shannon Martin
@ShannonMartinTV
Dellen Millard is now cross examining Desi Liberatore. He starts by asking if he is using today. Liberatore says no.

Shannon Martin
@ShannonMartinTV
Millard wraps his questioning. Smich's lawyer Thomas Dungey is now up.

Shannon Martin
@ShannonMartinTV
Dungey focusing on Liberatore's drug use.

Shannon Martin
@ShannonMartinTV
Dungey asks about Liberatore's heroin use in 2012. He says he sniffed it and injected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time