Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.17.17 - Day 18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my view, MM has told us what she knows and what she remembers, which is pretty good considering she gave a statement in late 2013 regarding events in mid-2012. I don't think I would do better myself. I have no idea what I did on Canada Day 2016, much less three days later. I might remember significant events, though, like a vacation, a party or - say, an incinerator in the middle of the night.

I thought she did well today, IMO.

Regarding the ipad dates: I wonder if DM hooked it up on the 4th, but he didn't give it to MS until later July.

I completely agree that those are the facts with the evidence we know of. I just think she didn’t remembered it correctly today on the stand, not that she lied.

I am also of the opinion that MM was truthful in her testimony today. I was a lot less forgiving of her during the TB trial, but in July 2012, she was still a 'newbie' to the folds of this group, so it shouldn't be too shocking that she wasn't kept more in the loop of the details surrounding any nefarious activities of DM and MS. It also seems that she was pretty eager to 'abide' by MS, out of fear of being dumped and sent back to live with Mom and the 'evil step-dad'.

Clearly she's mistaken about the dates of acquiring the iPad and seeing the two monsters 'play' with the incinerator, but I don't necessarily think she's lying... It's possible, but also just as plausible that she's confused about the actual sequence of events. It WAS a long time ago.

That being said, even as a teenager, if my bf was hauling around and lighting up a giant animal incinerator with his buddy, I'd be pretty damn freaked out, wondering what in the hell I'd gotten myself into, and running back to my mommy as fast as possible.

How's that for contradictory opinion? I can't even agree with myself! lol

I love that the Crown repeatedly played the rap today. Nice touch to hammer it home as much as possible.

Regarding the ipad dates: I wonder if DM hooked it up on the 4th, but he didn't give it to MS until later July.

Yes, this is also plausible. As someone else stated earlier, maybe as payment to MS for his help with the incineration?

Although, didn’t MM take selfies on the iPad on the 5th? She could have just been playing with it though, and then DM finally gave it to them for real after the incineration.

Thoughts about why DM even purchased the incinerator:

In the TB trial it was suggested the incinerator was purchased for the purpose of disposing of the owner a vehicle they planned to steel, but for one reason and another the theft did not occur until several months later.
In this trial it is insinuated that it was purchased for the disposal of LB and the timing fits beautifully.

I think LB was the catalyst for acquiring the incinerator as he promised CN he would make her disappear. How do you make someone disappear - you kill them of course, but then how do you get rid of the body?
I believe DM having decided he needed the thrill of killing gave some thought as to what to do with the body afterward. Having decided burning was the most effective way to rid himself of the evidence and also being cheap he went the homemade route prior to purchasing the incinerator. I also believe he discussed this with MS and they thought they could make use of the incinerator in the commission of future crimes, which may be why DM decided to spend the money on a proper and efficient machine.

Just my ramblings. :thinking:

Thoughts about why DM even purchased the incinerator:

In the TB trial it was suggested the incinerator was purchased for the purpose of disposing of the owner a vehicle they planned to steel, but for one reason and another the theft did not occur until several months later.
In this trial it is insinuated that it was purchased for the disposal of LB and the timing fits beautifully.

I think LB was the catalyst for acquiring the incinerator as he promised CN he would make her disappear. How do you make someone disappear - you kill them of course, but then how do you get rid of the body?
I believe DM having decided he needed the thrill of killing gave some thought as to what to do with the body afterward. Having decided burning was the most effective way to rid himself of the evidence and also being cheap he went the homemade route prior to purchasing the incinerator. I also believe he discussed this with MS and they thought they could make use of the incinerator in the commission of future crimes, which may be why DM decided to spend the money on a proper and efficient machine.

Just my ramblings. :thinking:

I think DM was too cheap to spend $15,000 on an incinerator to only kill once. He wouldn't even drop $ for a used truck yet he buys a new incinerator because of Laura? Nope. Gotta be for her + others. JMO

MM supposedly used it on the 5th.
Does anyone have a link to the pic that MM took on the 5th?
I wonder why Crown would not confront her about this picture.

Oh I didn't see the lookout part of this quote...That part, to me is a no, but the rest, she surely should have sensed the gravity. I would have been terrified - even at 12 i would have sensed something was off.
Look out for what?
Quick! Someone's coming! Hide the ten foot, 1600 degree, smoking, ember spitting evidence!!!

Between July 2012 and May 2013, was the incinerator ever used to burn garbage or as an animal cremator for the farm and/or hangar? Was this ever asked in court for either trial? Why blow thousands on a machine that was not going to be used if it was functional. To kill people and dispose of evidence, of course!

I think DM was too cheap to spend $15,000 on an incinerator to only kill once. He wouldn't even drop $ for a used truck yet he buys a new incinerator because of Laura? Nope. Gotta be for her + others. JMO
Agreed, I obviously did not express that properly.
LB may have been the first and the timing does suit perfectly, but agreed the $$ was spent because a future was seen for the machine.

Agreed, I obviously did not express that properly.
LB may have been the first and the timing does suit perfectly, but agreed the $$ was spent because a future was seen for the machine.

I liked your post and it made me think about both trials r.e. the incinerator. One thing about DM is that he is el cheapo.

I am forgetting ...has there been much alluding to theft, at all- for the jury? It does seem like a pretty big purchase for ONE girl.

Look out for what?
Quick! Someone's coming! Hide the ten foot, 1600 degree, smoking, ember spitting evidence!!!

I was thinking more of 'heads up - places, everyone: I see someone coming' and then they go into character and give the police or whomever shows up the BS cover stories that DM and MS have no shortage of.

I have a question: if MS or DM were to testify, wouldn't the Crown be allowed to ask them about their prior convictions - wouldn't they have to say they were convicted of M1? Or if that would not be permitted, would they be able to ask about their occupations etc and the jury would see that they were in jail prior to being charged with LB's murder?

My thoughts on today...

MMs story about being tired and sleeping reminds me of CNs bj story. Never any conversations on these long road trips to testify about.

If I were DM I’d have two questions; 1) were you at Maple Gate the night of July 3rd (we already know she was). 2) did you hear a gunshot? No more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the purple slippers - if I recall correctly, I thought someone posted that purple was Laura's favorite color. I can't recall if there was a msm article included in that post.

I'm having trouble with the fact that not only had MM never met LB, but says she had never even heard of her.

She seems very much to be in her own little bubble.
She doesn't strike me as someone who has much awareness, social or otherwise.

DM seems to have kept MS away from certain social activities -- hangouts with SS, for example.
MS wasn't at LB's birthday, right? Stands to reason, then, that MM wouldn't have been, either.

If there was a party the night/before LB was killed, could it be possible that it was big enough that even if MM and LB were there together, that they didn't have contact/knowledge of each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member