Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.27.17 - Day 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant the parents don't live together

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I knew what you meant. Somehow my brain actually read your sentence the way you meant it. It was only when I went back and looked at it again I saw your mistake LOL

What the hell did Dungey get paid for anyway? I feel like if he wasn't there MS' fate would be identical..

What the hell did Dungey get paid for anyway? I feel like if he wasn't there MS' fate would be identical..

If Dungey wasn’t there then MS would be acting as his own lawyer and this would be twice the circus that it is today!

Back to messages with Rabbit, March 2012.

Rabbit writes, "Love you my chicken"

She asks how he's doing and writes, "Love you my Tiger"

Millard, "Last night I woke up every 15 minutes." He says he's seen a doctor.

by Shannon Martin 12:42 PM

If he has seen a doctor about his lack of energy, wouldn't he want the doctor, or at least a report of the appointment as defense? Or does he like to waste a lot of energy making a point? Which may be his problem all along. MOO

Yes he does...or was. But this also goes to show that his father was a very educated man who has held a stable job for decades and makes a decent living. I guess none of that wore off on MS.

His father is hardly mentioned at all. I wonder what his involvement with the family has been like since his divorce.

I also wonder who is paying Dungey....

The Ontario taxpayers are footing MS' defense. [I live in Ontario :-( ]

Especially if Smich's Mom was a stay at home Mom like many European mothers.

<rsbm>

She was not. From Abro's book, via Google preview:

His mother is sixty-eight now and retired from the aerospace company where she worked for decades. Smich says his father wasn't much of a presence in his life after his parents divorced when he was about two years old. Along with his two older sisters, he also has a half-sister from his father's remarriage.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=O-LVCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT247&dq=smich+mother+retired&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO-_Xp6N_XAhVN0GMKHQeFC7AQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=smich%20mother%20retired&f=false

They are? Then why did DM say he is broke for one of the reasons he is defending himself? Wouldn’t DM also get a lawyer paid by the province if MS is?

Yeah, it's really not supposed to be public knowledge when a person has acquired Legal Aid, but I think it's safe to assume that's the case here with MS.

They are? Then why did DM say he is broke for one of the reasons he is defending himself? Wouldn’t DM also get a lawyer paid by the province if MS is?

Because DM is a liar. He was denied Legal Aid as he doesn't qualify because he does have money and assets.

I knew what you meant. Somehow my brain actually read your sentence the way you meant it. It was only when I went back and looked at it again I saw your mistake LOL
Lol the mind is a powerful thing

Legal aid gives you any lawyer available. Not one of your choosing. As the case would be with Dungey. MS is paying for his services.

Legal aid gives you any lawyer available. Not one of your choosing. As the case would be with Dungey. MS is paying for his services.
What gives you that impression? We don't know how Dungey was retained.

I don't think it'd be "luck" to get the same lawyer for 2 trials IMO

Fair, but Dungey could want to represent MS for his own reasons, and do so for both cases. Many very successful lawyers take on Legal Aid cases, and invest in their clients from beginning to end. It's not always luck of the draw.

I don't think it'd be "luck" to get the same lawyer for 2 trials IMO

Don’t some lawyers do pro bono work? I feel like I’ve heard of other high priced lawyers taking on cases, especially high profile cases pro bono.

Edit: I should have refreshed before posting... Grey St said it better.

Because DM is a liar. He was denied Legal Aid as he doesn't qualify because he does have money and assets.

Not quite what happened.

Dellen Millard trial for murder of Laura Babcock postponed to Sept. 2017

"Dellen Millard and Mark Smich’s trial for the first-degree murder of Laura Babcock will be postponed from February 2017 to September 2017, a judge ruled Friday.

Millard had hoped to postpone the trial until January 2018, when Stephen Bernstein, a defence lawyer he hoped to hire, would be first available.

Superior Court Justice John McMahon said that Millard had had more than a year to retain a lawyer to represent him, and against the repeated urging of the court to hire a lawyer, had maintained he would represent himself.

The right of an accused to counsel of choice is not absolute and must be balanced with a co-accused’s right to a trial in a reasonable time and the right of the Crown to have a trial in a reasonable amount of time in the interest of the community, McMahon said.

“Mr. Millard has not acted diligently,” said McMahon, finding that delaying the trial until January 2018 would be unreasonable to Smich and the Crown. The trial will proceed in September whether or not Millard has retained a lawyer, he said."

Don&#8217;t some lawyers do pro bono work? I feel like I&#8217;ve heard of other high priced lawyers taking on cases, especially high profile cases pro bono.

Yes, that's also plausible. Pro Bono cases are usually established when charges laid violate some form of a human rights issue. Lawyers will often boast about their involvement in taking on pro bono cases. Although Dungey is quite private and never makes public statements, so, anything is possible.

Bosmas are suing Millard. All his money is tied. Everything is frozen. Technically, he cannot qualify for legal aid because of his net worth. So he is forced to represent himself.

MS is poor. Has no funds. He qualifies for legal aid.

Yes they are. My sister got the family home when her and her husband divorced and she also has all 4 kids. Not that he couldn't raise them himself. But it definitely happens. Especially if Smich's Mom was a stay at home Mom like many European mothers.

Her ex also has to pay spousal support and child support. She was a stay at home Mom. So she definitely didn't buy him out and I know he would not give it willingly. Lol

Equalization - no argument, hope she is doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat