Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
5m5 minutes ago

Crown now recapping some of the testimony #Smich gave at #Bosma trial, that he followed behind during the test drive. His testimony was clearly not believed by the jury "there was no other way to get to first degree murder," Cameron says. #LauraBabcock

The judge doesn't need to be told that #Bosma's widow & young daughter were hurt by his murder. His parents and extended family are all here. "This was about a truck... he didn't even need," Crown says, after the plethora of cars and trucks #Millard paraded out during this trial

That case had nothing to do with the plot against Laura #Babcock, Cameron says. Unlike other cases that got concurrent sentences, #Babcock and #Bosma murders were 10 months apart & both for some "diabolical adrenaline rush" #Millard and #Smich wanted to feel.

"It was just a truck"... those words said by his wife still haunt me, and bring me to tears to this day when she said it twice in a row on one of the pressers.

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
4m4 minutes ago

Millard's incinerator was part of the plan to burn bodies, and we know this from the text messages from #Millard and #Smich, crown says. "No point going until its ready and we gotta have something with bones in it," Smich says as they're testing the incinerator. #LauraBabcock

Five days after #LauraBabcock's murder, as she lie rolled in a tarp in the barn and the incinerator was arriving, #Millard sends this text: "BBQ is the last piece of the 3500 puzzle." Plan to kill man who ended up being Tim #Bosma began then, crown says.

The Crown is now running through all these previous sentences and the case law attached to them.
by Adam Carter 11:06 AM

Cameron pointing out that Babcock was "extremely vulnerable" to Millard and Smich. "I shudder to think of her happily waiting at Kipling station ... not knowing she was walking right into their murderous plot."
by Adam Carter 11:08 AM

"They were both ambushed. Neither of them stood a chance," Cameron says about Babcock and Bosma.
by Adam Carter 11:09 AM

Cameron says the law "demands " consecutive sentences. "Justice for Laura demands a separate penalty for her murder. Otherwise they may as well have gotten away with it."
by Adam Carter 11:10 AM

Cameron says Millard and Smich will be in their 70s before they're eligible for parole if Code sentences them consecutively.
by Adam Carter 11:15 AM

"We have not once seen a glimmer of remorse from either of them ... not a flicker of regret or shame for the callous extinguishment of a young life," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:20 AM

We're now seeing texts between Millard and Smich, talking about the incinerator. Smich says that they "have to bring something with bones in it." Cameron says this shows Smich is willing to burn the bones of people they have killed.
by Adam Carter 11:22 AM

Now a text from Millard to Smich in July of 2012: "BBQ is the last piece of the 3500 puzzle. July mission." Smich responds: "I like bbq. And I like 3500."
by Adam Carter 11:23 AM

Cameron says the incinerator was acquired to burn bodies and get rid of evidence.
by Adam Carter 11:24 AM

Cameron says that shows, "We are going to kill the person whose truck we steal." Bosma's truck was a Dodge Ram 3500 pickup truck.
by Adam Carter 11:25 AM

Millard and Smich are looking straight ahead during all this. Smich barely moves whatsoever. They're sitting on opposite sides of the prisoner's box.
by Adam Carter 11:27 AM

Thank you for the tweets!!

And even better, what is so fabulous, is that people that are doing tweets are doing it in different colors so if people want to just scan quickly they can. What a great idea! Thank you so much

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
6m6 minutes ago

"They were planning on doing it long before they executed the plan," crown explains to judge, who is confused about the timing. #Bosma #Babcock

"I like BBQ and I like 3500," was the answer "We are going to kill the person whose truck we are going to steal," the crown translates, "and now we can get rid of the body because we have this machine."

To be clear, Tim #Bosma was selling a Dodge 3500 truck, which Dellen #Millard coveted. Crown showing more incriminating text messages. Many of these were not allowed at either trial.

Despite four attempts, the 3500 text was not allowed at the #Bosma trial, "frankly, I can't understand why," Cameron says. "Despite many efforts by many crowns." But it's an important text, it ties both murders with the incinerator, Cameron says.

Computer power done. Thumb tweeting maybe be less detailed & accurate, FYI. #Babcock #Bosma

We're finally seeing some of those missing texts to get more context to their plans and text communications. I don't understand why these crucial texts were excluded in the Bosma trial either.

MOO

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
2m2 minutes ago

Justice Code still doesn’t understand stand why this text from #Millard was excluded from #Bosma trial. Once again, upon receiving large animal incinerator, #Millard wrote, “BBQ is last piece of 3500 puzzle.” Almost a year before killing Tim #Bosma.

See, even the judge in LB's trial doesn't understand why it was excluded. :waitasec:

Computer power done. Thumb tweeting maybe be less detailed & accurate, FYI.

MOO

Oh Lisa...nooooooo

ETA.. this exclamation was done to the Tweeter in Court,Lisa, who was saying her battery was dying on her computer. I cannot figure out how to correct my post by showing what the Twitter name was. But the Twitter person in court her name was Lisa.

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
3m3 minutes ago

“These are messages of excitement,” that they now have the means of disposing of murder victims, Cameron says.

“BBQ is done its warmup. Ready for meat.” That is how they referred to Laura #Babcock, Cameron says. Smiling, mugging photos of the convicted after the murder. Including a photo of Laura #Babcock body rolled in a tarp.

Evidence points to #Smich complete participation in the murders. Neither convict seemed confused or upset after murder.

Cameron saying that the July 4 "3500" text never went before the Bosma jury, because it was close to the Babcock murder. She says it has never been before a jury in either trial.
by Adam Carter 11:30 AM

Cameron says this text shows that Millard and Smich "have murdered, and are going to murder again."
by Adam Carter 11:35 AM

"These are messages of excitement about finally being able to go through with the plan to kill somebody," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:36 AM

Cameron now talking about the picture of Babcock's body, rolled up in a tarp, as a "prize... a trophy of what they had accomplished." She says she won't show that photo on the screens anymore, as it's too painful for the Babcock family.
by Adam Carter 11:39 AM

"Mr. Smich was not duped into this by Mr. Millard," Cameron says again. She's really hammering home that point, and seems to be trying to cut off a forthcoming argument from Smich's lawyer.
by Adam Carter 11:40 AM

"What started of as Clayton and Linda's beloved daughter ... ended up being a burning pile of bones and ash," Cameron says. "While this was happening, Mr. Smich could not have been more pleased," she says, talking about a photo of Smich in front of the incinerator.
by Adam Carter 11:42 AM

"He boasted about killing her and burning her to younger kids he was trying to impress. He was happy. They both continued on in their lives as if the murder of Laura Babcock made them better, stronger and invincible."
by Adam Carter 11:43 AM

"Mr. Smich delighted in his role as Mr. Millard's sidekick," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:44 AM

Cameron is now talking about how Millard and Smich walked down Bosma's driveway, and smiled at his widow, Sharlene. "They acted heartlessly, cruelly, and now they ask for mercy."
by Adam Carter 11:45 AM

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago

There is nothing of Laura left to bury, Cameron says. While her body was burning, #Smich could not have seemed happier after n the photos. Gleefully composes rap. “He boasted about killing her,” as if murder made he & Millard better & stronger.

Smich has every opportunity to get out from Millard’s circle. All he has offered is a “pack of excuses.” Crown says he liked killing people. “There’s no evidence to say otherwise.” Where was there compassion when they walked down Bosma’s drive & smiled at his wife?

There's no jury to even influence. The judge makes the decision on sentencing. Victims should be able to express what they need to. Shawn is a class act, I doubt it was even that bad.
I know that no jury involved in this part. My statement was poorly worded trying to convey that I didn't understand how something can be ruled "inadmissible" as though it is evidence or something....

I do hope it's released to the media, just so that it could be made public record.

The above post was concerning the statement that was not allowed today, but that it exists and people would want to hear it are now part of the public record.

Also...Although the juries were not able to hear the communication about the 3500, I am glad that is now part of the public record.

I know that no jury involved in this part. My statement was poorly worded trying to convey that I didn't understand how something can be ruled "inadmissible" as though it is evidence or something....

It's always been a fine line with Victim Impact Statements. Most people would like to see them used as a vehicle for the victims to tell the convicted person just what they think of them and what they did. To release the anger that they feel towards the person who hurt them so badly. The law does not allow for this however, it only allows for the victim to express how the crime affected them and to express their extreme sadness and loss.

Personally, while I don't think they should be used to hurl insults and abuse at a convicted person who has no choice but to sit and listen, they should allow for some measure of anger towards the convicted criminal to be expressed, within reason. In some cases, the VIS as they stand now just give the convicted criminal more pleasure IMO.

MOO

Cameron says the circumstances here are "almost too diabolical to believe ... these two are predators."
by Adam Carter 11:46 AM

Cameron says Millard "squandered" all the opportunities given to him. "He lived a selfish and entitled life."
by Adam Carter 11:48 AM

She's also asking Code to consider how Millard and Smich treated women.
by Adam Carter 11:48 AM

"[Millard's] actions are appalling. He is of the lowest moral character," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:49 AM

"These two were selfish predators who delighted in murdering innocent people," Cameron says.
by Adam Carter 11:52 AM

Photos of Babcock and Bosma are being shown in the courtroom. Neither MIllard nor Smich are looking over at them.
by Adam Carter 11:52 AM

Code says he's not going to sentence Millard or Smich today. He wants to "think about it," and it will probably take a week or two.
by Adam Carter 11:55 AM

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
8m8 minutes ago
These offenses “are almost too diabolical to believe... these two are predators.” Crown says jury did not know details about #Bosma when they recommended consecutive maximum sentences.

marianne boucher@CityCourtsTO
9m9 minutes ago
Smich blames the fact that he didn’t have a father figure, and not a mind of his own, influenced by Millard, my submission is he “liked murdering ppl.”
They acted heartlessly and now they ask for mercy. These two are predators.

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
5m5 minutes ago
Now Cameron says Millard is “of the lowest character” even tried to manipulate witnesses after arrest. #Smich had a strong circle of family & friends to offer support. They think he became a murderer because he lacked a father figure. Cameron says lots of people lack dads.

Smich was an abusive controlling boyfriend who sold drugs, guns and more. “These two are selfish predators who delighted in killing ppl,” crown says.

Split screen of #Babcock and #Bosma now up in court.

Court break. #Babcock #Bosma.

Crown has finished her submissions, judge says he will likely take a week or two to decide sentencing #Millard #Smich. He wants more thought on whether Smich & Millard equally culpable

Judge wonders if he can make part of the #Smich sentence consecutive and part concurrent. Says he’s not sure he needs to decide. #LauraBabcock

Code says he's not going to sentence Millard or Smich today. He wants to "think about it," and it will probably take a week or two.

Wow, what's there to think about. First time I've ever been disappointed with Justice Code. I hope he makes the right decision and gives them both consecutive sentences....or at least for Millard.

ETA: I just saw the reason for delaying the sentencing.

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
Is the total sentence too harsh? Code says this is a concept judges discuss. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
24s25 seconds ago
Smich has been found by 2 juries to have planned two different murders. Nothing says he was lesser involved in either murder, crown argues.

Interesting that the judge in the LB case seems to feel that MS has less culpability and therefore should not be receiving the same sentence as DM.

I much prefer Lisa Hepfner's tweets over Adam Carters as she goes into much more detail. jmo

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
Is the total sentence too harsh? Code says this is a concept judges discuss. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner@HefCHCHNews
24s25 seconds ago
Smich has been found by 2 juries to have planned two different murders. Nothing says he was lesser involved in either murder, crown argues.

Interesting that the judge in the LB case seems to feel that MS has less culpability and therefore should not be receiving the same sentence as DM.

At least Millard will get a consecutive sentence by the sounds of it. I hope Smich gets it also. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back