Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Most local folks I discuss this case with believe that an M1 conviction in Canada is 25 years. And articles like the link below help spread that assumption.

http://www.chch.com/situations-dellen-millard-mark-smich/

M1 is a life sentence, with an eligibility for parole only starting after serving 25 years. I believe they can apply for a "faint hope clause", a statutory provision that if approved would allow them a parole hearing after 15 years. It's difficult to get approval, especially in an M1 conviction from what I understand.

I have no idea how a parole hearing weighs the crime to the behavour, redemption, etc., exhibited during incarceration, but IMO, these two will not win approval for parole after 25 years, even if the Judge chooses concurrent.

Not sure about MS, but I don't see DM ever taking responsibility for his actions in these crimes, and I believe that is something that is evaluated at a parole hearing. But there is always the danger of him putting on an "act" to tell the board what they want to hear. MOO

The lawyer in the article also mentions the "dangerous offender" designation as a possible move to ensure DM remains behind bars. That may have been true before Canada changed the sentencing. We now have "consecutive" sentencing to deal with serial horrendous crimes. Dangerous offender is more suited for crimes that have relatively short sentence, but the offender most likely will still be a menace to society after serving, like Shayne Lund .

RBBM

That must have been a misunderstanding by the reporter because a lawyer would presumably know that murder convictions alone do not qualify as a basis for a dangerous offender application.

Exactly this. TD had the right strategy for this case. Lie low. Don't call attention to yourself and your client.

Any attempt to explain Smich's actions would have just dug the hole deeper. There is no way to explain why your client is smiling in front of the Eliminator. And anyone thinks there is, is seriously not thinking it through. The more you talk the worse it gets.

Given how many days the jury was out and the numbers who didn't recommend a consecutive sentence for Smich, I'd say TD did a pretty good job with a mountain of evidence against his client, whose case could only look "good" next to Millard's.

As for fame, Dungey is coming up on 80. This was his last trial. He said he won't be going near another courthouse after it's done.
I'd have to agree. Considering "they weren't burning LB, they were burning A DEER!" was his best defence, his client basically handed him a pile of ****. There was only so much he could do. He made sure MS got a fair trial, that's what he was hired to do.

Anyone else curious if AM ever tried texting her? I’m guessing not.

I sort of agree with Abro. The one letter from DM to CN where DM indicated that AM seemed to be changing his statement, makes me think CN reached out to AM. MOO

Or is your question only post her arrest?

Attachments

• am.jpg
    am.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 335
It appeared TD was mostly concerned about getting paid in the end, immediately after the verdict came in. I felt sad when I read that tweet when he asked to delay the sentencing further. In the end, no defence for either of those two would have been believeable, imo.

I respectfully disagree. I have a lot of respect for TD and his skills as a lawyer.

How can a lawyer be blamed for failing to get a lesser verdict? Lawyers’ services don’t come with a guarantee. They are there to handle matters of law.

IMO, TD did everything he possibly could for MS, legally speaking. MS committed atrocious acts, and because there was a wealth of evidence to support that, what could TD do about it, other than make sure that MS had a fair trial?

I know that I don’t possess the requisite knowledge or abstract thinking skills to properly conclude feasible possibilities, but I sure can’t think of ANY alternate defence that would have succeeded in the jury NOT finding MS guilty of M1.

Would love to hear any ideas about an alternate defence from you and other WSers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sort of agree with Abro. The one letter from DM to CN where DM indicated that AM seemed to be changing his statement, makes me think CN reached out to AM. MOO

The original question was if AM tried to contact LB after she was murdered.

ETA: Didn’t LB refuse sex with AM? I’ll have to go back and look. Maybe it hurt his ego so he didn’t care what DM and MS did? After all, we are dealing with a bunch of deranged people here!

JMO

The original question was if AM tried to contact LB after she was murdered.

ETA: Didn’t LB refuse sex with AM? I’ll have to go back and look. Maybe it hurt his ego so he didn’t care what DM and MS did? After all, we are dealing with a bunch of deranged people here!

JMO

OOP's :blushing:

It appeared TD was mostly concerned about getting paid in the end, immediately after the verdict came in. I felt sad when I read that tweet when he asked to delay the sentencing further. In the end, no defence for either of those two would have been believeable, imo.

Does anyone know when the sentencing is scheduled for?

Ari Goldkind just said on the news that Millard had ‘girlfriends’ in the courtroom through out the trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking one of the girlfriends has visited the forum here.

Justice for Laura. A bright light for her family this Christmas.

Really? How do you know? Beyond creepy IMO.

I can't believe these people have gf's lol

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I believe that DM told SL in late July, 2012 something to the effect that he wouldn’t likely be able find her so don’t bother. Code for, “she’s gone gone”, I guess. DM was loose with his language, sloppy for the criminal mastermind he made himself out to be.
Guessing that he said something similar to those close to him, AM included. It would be fascinating to see full disclosure on who tried to call or text LB after July 3. It would speak volumes as to who knew what and when.
Is such full disclosure ever revealed?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...trial-into-laura-babcocks-murder-dimanno.html

“He implied she’s gone,” said Lerner. “She got mixed up with the wrong people. And I should have no reasonable expectation of finding her.”
Yeah she got mixed up with the wrong people like DM and MS

Crazy question, but how long was the do not contact list in place for DM? Both trials or just TB? I would be interested if Shaner is on his visitor list and if CN has had any further contact?

You should have heard some of the stuff on other forums being said why he was standing in front of the eliminator and smiling, that it had nothing to do with burning a body etc. Thank god we had some people on the jury who could actually made good conclusions. it is scary to think of some of the wackos online ever served on a jury. Many of the wackos swore that the rap was not about the murder at all.
Sheesh I don't know where these people come from.

Wow, just wow! I haven’t been to other forums and am happy that people are reasonable and respectful even when opinions differ.

Really? How do you know? Beyond creepy IMO.

Just a guess. But we had some houseguests on the forum who seemed rather fond of DM, who also said they were in court at times and saw him at work and they were so impressed by him...etc etc. Seems like something who has a bit of a thing for him would be saying...

I have said previously that it was remarkable to me how absent Smich was from the evidence on a July 3/4. If I were a juror I think I would have been more inclined to perceive reasonable doubt if Dungey had only hammered on that, over and over, in as many ways as he could. The weak, obvious mistruths about garbage and deer carcasses can only have served to make the jury think he must then be guilty if that’s what Smich’s team was asking them to believe.

Who knows what might have happened if he tacitly acknowledged Laura’s death and incineration, but hammed on the idea that his client did not know of a specific plan for Laura and only learned about her death after it happened, at which time he helped Millard cover it up.

As someone who followed the trial closely, I cannot help but feel that Smich got screwed being tried in tandem with Millard. There was a mountain of evidence against Millard and I think that there was just enough evidence to tie Smich to the disposal of the body. But I think after seeing the monster that is Dellen Millard, the jury felt comfortable convicting Smich even though his participation in the actual event was not proven. The guy was definitely not innocent, the question was how guilty was he?. Deliberations took 5 days, so one can only assume that there was at least on juror that was on the fence about him. I was disappointed that there were no questions to MM about that night. Did she hear a gunshot? Was Smich with her? Her likely answer would be "I don't remember", but how could you not remember something like that? Either she is protecting Smich or herself. It still astounds me that TD didn't ask her, although since it was never brought up by the crown, I'm not sure if he could? Maybe he could have called her as a witness for the defence?

You should have heard some of the stuff on other forums being said why he was standing in front of the eliminator and smiling, that it had nothing to do with burning a body etc. Thank god we had some people on the jury who could actually made good conclusions. it is scary to think of some of the wackos online ever served on a jury. Many of the wackos swore that the rap was not about the murder at all.
Sheesh I don't know where these people come from.

I was on one other forum following both and my conclusion is that there are lots of trolls! They just like to see what reactions they can stir up and they get a kick out of the angry replies....maybe Mentally l unstable? There is/was a girl on the FB page that I honestly believe is a GF of DM. She’s rallied for him since the TB trial and continued through LBs. I think she was also the girl that wouldn’t talk to the reporters and was sobbing about the M1 verdict at the courthouse (TB trial). Apparently it was reported that this girl was there a few times in support of DM which this same girl on FB said she attended the trial. Coincidence, I doubt it!! If she was on FB page, I’d bet she was here as well.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back