Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I obviously don't understand the sentencing process if the lawyers still have a chance to speak on the matter. I though Justice Code had already come to Court prepared to give his answer on consecutive or concurrent for each convict and was just reading his decision.

All MOO

I obviously don't understand the sentencing process if the lawyers still have a chance to speak on the matter. I though Justice Code had already come to Court prepared to give his answer on consecutive or concurrent for each convict and was just reading his decision.

All MOO

Thank you, I was scratching my head about this as well.
Moo

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

All MOO

Exactly. I thought that was why he took a couple of week to decide?

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
More
The alternatives are stark, judge says. The law should allow him to impose sentences partly concurrently and partly consecutively. Now this judge has to decide if 50 years parole ineligibility is just or too harsh. #Babcock #Bosma

A sentence must be proportionate to the gravity of the offence, and the degree of responsibility of the offender, judge says, still quoting case law. #Babock #Bosma

All MOO

Maybe Code is merely surmising the lawyers' previous claims?

Instead of working I'm hitting refresh on my screen every 20 seconds!

CP24 is saying that the sentence has already come down...then came a commercial break. :(

I'm getting the sense that Justice Code is feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders with this decision, and it seems he doesn't want to make such a harsh decision. Or maybe he just wants to make sure that once he shares his decision it will be difficult to challenge his extremely thorough and measured reasoning later on appeal?

All MOO

Alex Pierson‏Verified account @AlexpiersonAMP
Replying to @AnnB03
I'm confused.. is consecutive confirmed? or not. It's being reported as confirmed.

Ann Brocklehurst‏ @AnnB03 46s47 seconds ago
More
Ann Brocklehurst Retweeted Alex Pierson
He said earlier that consecutive is legally justifiable but has not yet given his ruling

Alex Pierson‏Verified account @AlexpiersonAMP
FollowFollow @AlexpiersonAMP
More
Replying to @AnnB03
Weird that it’s being reported as a done deal.

Code has now mentioned "second consecutive sentences" several times. He says they can be used as a deterrent for "serial murders."
by Adam Carter 4:05 PM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaggieM
Back