"Lawyering Up"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tho minimal, Cindy had been having some contact with KC and we have all been baffeled by the brownie making party girl who didn't seem to care. I am one who believes that when they picked up the car they were terrified it was Caylee and KC and when it wasn't either of them in the trunk they were somewhat relieved but went into usual cover up mode because they knew she was in some kind of trouble. I think it started with her cleaning up the latest KC mess not knowing that was her granddaughter. I may be giving too much credit, I know...but hoping not and this is the extent of the guilt.

I hope that when she found KC and she wasn't acting like a mother whose daughter had died, she was just so happy to find KC and was so determined to find Caylee that her daughter ending up in jail like this and the entire world watching their every move for the next months with no end in sight was the last thing on her mind. I don't think she thought her daughter was involved in her granddaughters disappearance at all. I think CA thought she was in the middle of another p*ssing contest with KC over the baby and never expected their night to end up with the baby really missing, much less gone at her daughters hands. I think the tone of the 9/11 call says it all to me and tells me that at least until she hung up that phone Cindy was innocent and clueless. Every time I hear her say that KC was looking for her "Herself" the way she says it a little after, as if to say "Can you believe it, herself! With no police." and when she says "I need to find her." no matter how mad I am at Cindy, the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I get a lump in my throat. The latest docs just secured that for me when there was the info on what she said when she had found out to her boss. I cried when I read it. Every time. I think if she could have seen the future things would be very different, and I can't say for the better. I think she just forgot who she was dealing with and didn't think to call a lawyer.

Bolded by me.....HRCODEPINK, I'm sorry I must have missed what she told her boss. Can you point me in the right direction?

I agree that there was true panic in CA's voice during that call.

Anyone who doesn't lawyer up is not very smart.
I posted awhile back that some kids did some damage to golf carts in the country club where we live. Some one mentioned my daughter. She was not even home that weekend. The police wanted to talk to her. The first thing that I did was call my lawyer to meet us at the station. The police did not want him to come in for the questioning. He said fine, where's te phone. I'm calling the D.A. They let him in and of course everything turned out ok for her. I'm posting this to show that even with legal counsel present, the police still try to mess with people. How many would know that what the poloice tried to do was illegal if they had not had a lawyer with them.

ALWAYS,ALWAYS have legal counsel.

IF you are a victim of a crime and have absolutely nothing to hide then I see no problem talking to the police.

Now with that said.IF the police come to you during a criminal investigation and your name pops up on the radar screen then lawyer the heck up till you and your attorney can meet with police and be sure that the testimony you give is accurate.

Look what the meter reader has gone through
Note to self:IF you ever find a dead body,,call 911 then call your attorney then lawyer up till he gets there.

IF you are a victim of a crime and have absolutely nothing to hide then I see no problem talking to the police.

Now with that said.IF the police come to you during a criminal investigation and your name pops up on the radar screen then lawyer the heck up till you and your attorney can meet with police and be sure that the testimony you give is accurate.

Look what the meter reader has gone through
Note to self:IF you ever find a dead body,,call 911 then call your attorney then lawyer up till he gets there.

I'd call my lawyer and then 911 f I found a dead body. Of course, after seeing what RK has gone through, I'd call anonymously from a pay phone .

I think there are 2 separate issues here...I AGREE that if you are suspected of, or have committed a crime, you need a lawyer. A regular witness to a crime does not need a lawyer. If your son is in the line up of a bank that is robbed, the robber is shot dead...are you really going to hire a lawyer for your son before you let him give a statement to police?

If my son were in the lineup of a bank which is robbed, would he not then be a suspect of having committed the crime? Isn't a witness a possible suspect?Maybe I misundertood your question. Either way, I may very well obtain an attorney for my son, as is my right. It doesn't mean that he's guilty because he got a lawyer.

Those guys are mentioned in the tapes. One was a workers comp atty, the other was possibly a friend of his or he may have been the atty Cindy says made the POA from KC to them when Caylee was an infant, but claims he doesn't have it. (it is mentioned in Yuri's notes that he called the guy).

Looks like they realized pretty quickly they needed some advice, but like most they don't have a defense atty on speed dial who is ready to drop everything and sit at their house for a missing child.

Now that you wrote back and I thought about this. Maybe one of the attorneys or both were there talking to CA about getting custody of Caylee.
I hope so, that would show that they were at least trying.

I have questions about "lawyering up" in this case.
If the when the A's got the car back with the "death" smell and they had any reason to suspect their daughter could have been involved in either an accident/failure to report or even an unspeakable crime....why did they let her speak to LE with a lawyer?

Does this speak to their not knowing what happened, not believing that their daughter could possibly be involved or simple denial/naievty?

I ask this because, if any of my children were involved in a possilbe "covered up accident/crime," even if I called the police, while awaiting their arrival...I would have certainly called a lawyer...especially if I had suspicions I didn't even want to admit to myself. Wouldn't this be the first act of saving what is left of my child?

I may be in the minority, I don't know! But I think hiring a lawyer was the furtherest thing from George and Cindy's mind at that time. The focus was completely on "lets get Caylee back." and they seem to have really, really bought into the nanny story.

Absolutely CM. Great point. I have worked for lawyers all my life and that is the one single thing they have drilled into my head - never, but never talk to LE without an attorney. Thankfully, I have never had to do so because I've always been on the 'right' side of the law and have never committed a crime (that I know of). As you mentioned, it does go against 'polite' thinking -- i.e., that if I didn't do anything, I have nothing to hide and can talk freely. But, as we know, it doesn't always work that way. Innocent people are convicted by seemingly innocent statements more than we'd like to know.

Geez, even our car insurance companies warn us not to make any statements that could be construed to mean we're admitting guilt in an auto accident! How much MORE important is it to keep your mouth shut until you have legal advice in matters involving the law?

Nancy Grace and others of her ilk can make as many faces as they want, they can use terms like "lawyering up" to make hiring an attorney seem slightly......sleezy......BUT they are wrong. Believe me, if Nancy were accused of a crime, she'd have her lawyer on staff in zero.one seconds, and she'd be wise to do so.

One of the best examples of why you ought to do this may be found any night on nearly any cop show (reality or otherwise) -- there's always a moment when the officer or investigator says, "You need to help yourself out here," which always caused me to smile. After all, how in the world are you going to "help yourself" by giving the police information they intend to use against you if they can? Let's face it, what it really means is "You need to help me out here." I suppose you can do that as you will.

Exactly! And an unsophisticated person might just interpret that to mean "That cop is telling me that if I just tell him what he wants to hear, it will be to MY benefit." Which explains false confessions quite nicely.

Hope you don't mind the snip!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back