Legal Q&A for Rhornsby #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally feel that this case has entered a new significant phase with the submission of the motion against RK and the set of 'unconstitutional' motions.

As we move closer to the pre-trial hearing early next year and meander through the Holiday period I sense a re-writing of recent A-history and a re-positioning of KC as a human and a victim too.

There are a LOT of articles and media appearances recently that either directly and indirectly seek to re-tell / better tell / position the Defense story and that of KC while shaking the trees of blogs and forums to test the waters and even the playing field and neutralize or de-fang those pro-prosecution and pro-KC's guilt as a capital offense.

This is a major marketng undertaking never seen before, even for OJ. A major and prolonged media campaign until trial. Calm down, pacify and even, convert the mob. The next phase has begun.

Do you agree?
ITA....
:waitasec:Something tells me that this phase should be outlawed it is far from doing things close to clean / legally.
It is laced it defaming the wrong people, deception, evidence tempering. I am :puke: The laws should be re written. JMO

BBM

I think most people will see right through that feigned drama, and already have in the last Court appearance, as discussed here. It is really pathetic to watch Lyons hovering over KC, whose affect is about as endearing as cement.

I agree with you. Her first attempts, for those that pay attention, were painful to watch. Now will that play out the same way for a jury? I don't know. I even cringed when AL, so sweetly and politely, addressed the judge. I tend to like LDB's approach much better. But that's just my take. Ashton ( who RH seems to love) needs to reign it in, IMO. But maybe that's how they've chosen to play it?

All my opinion.

RH, you might have noticed I use the name "AZ Lawyer" instead of "FL Lawyer." This is for a very good reason. ;) So...to avoid making any unwarranted assumptions...I just want to confirm that, in FL, Casey's false exculpatory statements to LE officers (e.g., "My daughter is alive and well. She called me on the phone yesterday.") can be admitted as inculpatory evidence of consciousness of guilt.

ITA....
:waitasec:Something tells me that this phase should be outlawed it is far from doing things close to clean / legally.
It is laced it defaming the wrong people, deception, evidence tempering. I am :puke: The laws should be re written. JMO

I believe few case followers think Mr. Kronk is squeaky clean -- to the extent that you might well be right about evidence tampering.

I believe few case followers think Mr. Kronk is squeaky clean -- to the extent that you might well be right about evidence tampering.

This is why I have a problem with reward money. In your experience, how often has this solved a crime? To me, this attracts people like Kronk. Not to diminish his actions. Were it not for him the child could still be lying there in a swamp. But he has an awful lot of baggage. Not that it matters at the end of the day, but it muddies the waters with side issues. IMO.

Just can't agree with this, I've read and reread everything I can find on this man, including watching the videos of his foolish ex-relatives. I think this man is guilty of two things only, not admitting how much he actually searched for Caylee, and for wanting to be a hero for once in his life.

RH, you might have noticed I use the name "AZ Lawyer" instead of "FL Lawyer." This is for a very good reason. ;) So...to avoid making any unwarranted assumptions...I just want to confirm that, in FL, Casey's false exculpatory statements to LE officers (e.g., "My daughter is alive and well. She called me on the phone yesterday.") can be admitted as inculpatory evidence of consciousness of guilt.

Every single statement Casey made is admissible against her.

SNIP

But he has an awful lot of baggage. Not that it matters at the end of the day, but it muddies the waters with side issues. IMO.

This is the credited response.

(From a defense perspective, Kronk represents a path to reasonable doubt.)

This is the credited response.

(From a defense perspective, Kronk represents a path to reasonable doubt.)

I mean no disrespect but, can you please explain what "the credited response" means IYO? Thank you in advance.

Just can't agree with this, I've read and reread everything I can find on this man, including watching the videos of his foolish ex-relatives. I think this man is guilty of two things only, not admitting how much he actually searched for Caylee, and for wanting to be a hero for once in his life.

Amen!

Great trial attornies typically have large, if not massive, egos. They're not only skilled inside the courtroom but are also skilled in dealing with the media, which is really a base requirement to handle a high-profile case today. Moreover, they've become a brand name; e.g., Tom Messerau.

Baez seemingly has a large ego, but, amongst other self imposed obstacles (flub a dub variety), he gives the appearance of being IQ cycle challenged. This case quickly developed into a ratings monster; it's way out of his league.

Finally, something that you and I can agree on. I don't agree with much that you say but JB is in way over his head and every time he opens his mouth he either inserts his foot and hurts his clients case or he looks like an idiot.

I just don't see JB as a high-profile defense attorney. I am sure he likes to call himself that but I just don't consider someone with as few cases under his belt as he seems to have to be high profile. AL = high profile. JB = not so much.

Other than revenge, I do not think society gains anything by putting someone like Casey Anthony to death.

And while I believe that if Casey Anthony killed her daughter, she deserves to spend the rest of her life behind bars; I also do not believe that if she were to ever be released, she would prey on other children like a John Couey.

i have blogged about my personal opinion on my website (Denying the Certainty of Death) and will leave that as my answer to any further questions.

But before we even get started, lets not dwell on my personal opinions about the death penalty in this case or in general, because it is a debate with no satisfactory answer to anyone.

I personally believe she would be a danger to society. She would steal to get what she wanted, and Lord forbid, just like with Caylee, if anything or anyone gets in her way, or cramps her style she would kill them too, like her mother and father, just next time, she will make sure that it is longer than 31 days that it goes un reported to authorities...

I personally believe she would be a danger to society. She would steal to get what she wanted, and Lord forbid, just like with Caylee, if anything or anyone gets in her way, or cramps her style she would kill them too, like her mother and father, just next time, she will make sure that it is longer than 31 days that it goes un reported to authorities...

I think anyone who kills a toddler is a danger to society, period.
Being that I am not a fan of warehousing people until they die of old age once they have proven they can't be part of society I am all for execution. Not having anything to do with revenge. The why we implement the death penalty leaves a lot to be desired and certainly has vast room for improvement.

Reminder that this is a Q&A thread.
some discussion of the Q&A is of course expected and welcome! but it becomes difficult to isolate the Q&A ;so consider this just a request to try and keep discussion to a mimimum unless it relates directly to a question or answer.

As always where this post lands on the thread does not necessarily have any bearing on other posts in the immediate vicinity.

thanks.

I am impressed with FL's LWOP meaning what it says. I am not a fan of the DP either, not just because of the percentage of error, but because of the cost. It is cheaper to warehouse people for life than to put them on death row and pay for appeals and security.

I have no problem with KC staying for prison forever if convicted - if she truly is a sociopath, she will most likely only learn how to be a better one there anyway, so it would work only in a state with no chance of parole. She is already a recidivist thief, and as I've said before, I think murder is the highest order of theft and disregard for what rightfully belongs to another, so imo she is a danger to society. I'm still unsure for whom those "household weapons" searches were intended, but I think a lot of people, including her parents, would sleep more soundly if she never stopped living behind bars.

Won't any one comment on the other six counts????

All but the false statement charges are related to Caylee's death. The four counts of false statements to a police officer are first degree misdemeanors, punishable by no more than one year in jail. She would get time served credited against those charges. There is also a $1000 fine per occurence. If the only thing the state gets to stick is a handful of misdemeanor charges it will be a major loss for the state.

I am impressed with FL's LWOP meaning what it says. I am not a fan of the DP either, not just because of the percentage of error, but because of the cost. It is cheaper to warehouse people for life than to put them on death row and pay for appeals and security.

I have no problem with KC staying for prison forever if convicted - if she truly is a sociopath, she will most likely only learn how to be a better one there anyway, so it would work only in a state with no chance of parole. She is already a recidivist thief, and as I've said before, I think murder is the highest order of theft and disregard for what rightfully belongs to another, so imo she is a danger to society. I'm still unsure for whom those "household weapons" searches were intended, but I think a lot of people, including her parents, would sleep more soundly if she never stopped living behind bars.

This might be a silly question but honestly, don't those that get LWOP have the same rights to appeals, etc as those on death row? So how could it cost more to put them to death?

rhornsby, if you stop by.....do you think that the defense will really try to use Joy Wray as a witness for them? She is terribly unstable and I don't believe that she would make a very good witness at all. I think she would be torn apart on the stand.

This might be a silly question but honestly, don't those that get LWOP have the same rights to appeals, etc as those on death row? So how could it cost more to put them to death?

From what I've read it's not automatic with LWOP as in DP and perhaps requires different representation. The security level is very high for DP inmates and they don't share cells. At least that's what I've read concerning the subject. I can't recall the articles, I read them years ago, but I'll try to see if I can find current links.

Perhaps our esteemed guest might have information at his fingertips regarding this, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!